Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 4:14:42 PM EDT
So I was talking to one of my soilders the other day and he mentioned that in GA you are allowed to have an open container in a vehicle, driving, as long as the driver in not drinking or will/has not. Is this true? I have heard the same from a few different people, just curious.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
definately not true...  I have a few friends who have been busted for open container violations while riding as passengers
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag. For GA info.

In AL? No, no.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]
no... anyone has an open alcoholic beverage and the driver gets pulled over you get a ticket. in atlanta if you are out on the street with what APPEARS to be a mixed drink.. say coming out of a bar, you can be arrested and taken to jail. this has happened to some college students in atlanta. go in on a friday night. takes so long to get processed you don't make your phone call till sunday afternoon....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So I was talking to one of my soilders the other day and he mentioned that in GA you are allowed to have an open container in a vehicle, driving, as long as the driver in not drinking or will/has not. Is this true? I have heard the same from a few different people, just curious.

This is a local ordinance thing.  You can have plastic containers of alcohol open in the historic district in Savannah GA, but not elsewhere. Its nice when you're just hanging out downtown and/or doing some bar hopping. No glass bottles and only one cup at a time.  I don't know about other cities.

eta: whoops I just reread the originalpost. This does not apply to driving --only walking around.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess you mean River Street? (I hope)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I guess you mean River Street? (I hope)

The  to-go-cup area is actually larger than just river street. I think its  most of the bonafide historic area.  I'd have to check the map to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I think laws that prohibit open containers in vehicles are a large load of bullshit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top