Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2002 6:00:36 AM EDT
Well, getting a garand from the CMP was always one of those things that I have been meaning to do, but never quite got around to.  Now that they have (a presumably pretty limited number) 1903's available, it various details about the CMP suddenly have become very urgent...

The member of an affiliated club thing is pretty self explanatory.  However, the marksmanship activity requirement is not so clear me.   Do you have to take part in a "CMP approved/sponsored" match, i.e., only the ones listed at http://www.odcmp.com/calendar.asp ?  Or does any match where you shot over 50 rounds of ammo count?  I ask because the only matches listed in that calendar that are anywhere remotely in my area are the Garand matches, and well, I don't have a Garand nor do I know anyone in my area that does.  

If those are the only ones that count towards the program, what is the legality and/or rules about having someone else (who is immediately eligable) purchasing it for you.  I know my uncle would be able to get one, and I don't think he would have any interest in purchasing one for himself.   The form states that it is for personal use only, and not for resale - I believe the spirit of this is so dealers don't purchase a bunch and sell them at a profit.  However, say my uncle buys one, shoots it a few times and decides he doesn't like it...  He would be able to gift it or sell it to me correct?   Now before anyone gets bent out of shape, I would like to do this 100% legit, but time seems to be of the essense for the 1903's...

TIA,

Rocko
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:58:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys.  I'm actually in SE PA, so that place in Ohio is a bit a of trip ;), and am not a vet.   Truth is, I just shoot for my own enjoyment, and have little interest in shooting competitions which is probably the reason I've kept letting this slide.   I think the last match I shot in was a silhouette match at least 10 years ago.  The clinic sounds like it would be a good alternative, and the schedule shows a place in Jersey that I think is within reasonable driving distance that is holding one next month.  

I realize this could vary from club to club, but do you typically need to be a member to participate in these clinics?  That club is a reasonable distance for a one time trip, but I don't think I'd every go there to shoot on a regular basis (not to mention it is in NJ with all their goofy gun laws...).

I'd really feel better if doing this 100% legit, but I also wouldn't mind having someone else purchase the rifle and wait a year - as long as I know I have one waiting for me.  Any "straw man" purchase worries can be avoided by doing the transfer through an FFL.  However,
since both parties would be going into it knowing the eventual outcome, I suppose that would go against what the CMP is really about.

Thanks again,

Rocko
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Rocko,

You don't have to shoot at all to qualify to buy a CMP rifle. My dad bought 2 of them and this is what he did. He joined the Pennsylvania Rifle and Pistol Assoc. for $25 a year. Once he joined that he qualified to buy Garands through the CMP. Easy and simple. He did'nt like it though, to him it was just like paying $25 in tax.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rocko,

You don't have to shoot at all to qualify to buy a CMP rifle. My dad bought 2 of them and this is what he did. He joined the Pennsylvania Rifle and Pistol Assoc. for $25 a year. Once he joined that he qualified to buy Garands through the CMP. Easy and simple. He did'nt like it though, to him it was just like paying $25 in tax.
View Quote

That applies only if he is law enforcement or a veteran or active duty military. Otherwise his club fudged the paperwork for him.

mike
View Quote

My dad's not a LEO, veteran, or active duty military. I can't imagine the club fudged any paperwork for him. Its not a gunrange, its just an assoc, like the NRA. All he did was mail them a check, it not like he knows anyone in the assoc. I'll ask him more about the next time I talk to him.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Almost any match results sheet or clinic program will suffice.  Any piece of paper that shows you shooting.  It doesn't need to be a CMP sponsored match, either.  I recently bought one of their Mossberg .22s.  I sent in a bullseye pistol match results sheet & that was good enough.

Nice rifle, too.

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rocko,

View Quote

That applies only if he is law enforcement or a veteran or active duty military. Otherwise his club fudged the paperwork for him.

mike
View Quote

My dad's not a LEO, veteran, or active duty military. I can't imagine the club fudged any paperwork for him. Its not a gunrange, its just an assoc, like the NRA. All he did was mail them a check, it not like he knows anyone in the assoc. I'll ask him more about the next time I talk to him.
View Quote

I can guarantee whoever the contact for the club was got a call from the CMP. I have on several occasions. Most of the time they just want to verify a members status and they DO ask if they have attended a shoot. Someone vouched for him. Wasn't trying to flame just passing on the info to rocko about what he can expect.

mike
View Quote

You don't have to qualify (ie shoot in a match) if you are over a certain age.  Like 55 or around there.  All you have to do is be in a qualified club.  My father purchased two this way.  

I hope to shoot in a service rifle match this summer and pickup a few more rifles and ammo.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You don't have to qualify (ie shoot in a match) if you are over a certain age.  Like 55 or around there.  All you have to do is be in a qualified club.  My father purchased two this way.  

I hope to shoot in a service rifle match this summer and pickup a few more rifles and ammo.
View Quote

My dad is 61, that must of been why he didn't have to shoot any matches.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top