Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/19/2008 8:22:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 8:23:09 PM EST by WaterBoss]
Stumbled across this from a thread in the survival forum, anyone here part of it? Heard of it?

Appleseed
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:27:51 PM EST
I'll be attending their next class in Wyoming. Met a few of the instructors and liked the guys.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:54:14 PM EST
I did one day of an Appleseed clinic in CA back in May.
Friendly folks, pretty good instruction on marksmanship fundamentals.

that QDAQT kicked my ass, too...it's those time limits, plus the ever-smaller targets, and my inability to get NPOA in a reasonable space of time.

I would suggest thinking about going to one, if there's one you can make it to. Cheap, decent teaching, and the history lessons are worth hearing.

Oh, and they will sign off on the CMP form for "marksmanship activity" so you can buy M1s.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:03:41 PM EST
I had a good time at one a few months ago , I will be going to another....
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:08:43 PM EST
Done a couple of Appleseed's, good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:59:48 AM EST
We're going to host an appleseed shoot in October.
Seems like a good way to get folks started on
fundamental marksmanship,

Hernando Sportsman's Club Appleseed
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:23:13 AM EST
The club I just joined hosts an Appleseed match on the third Sunday of every month (Today - too bad I'm here waiting for Comcast to hopefully show up between 11-2pm).

You'll need 400rds of ammo and a rifle with a sling. You can use any sights (scope, open, peep, etc) but it's recommended you learn to use irons. They will teach you to hit a man size target out to 500m. You'll probably fire on reduced size targets to simulate longer distance becasuse the range in my area that they use is only 100m.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:02:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 3:37:04 AM EST by raf]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:05:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 3:39:24 AM EST by raf]

Originally Posted By raf:
The Appleseed program is good stuff. I attended one a little over a year ago in CT. They will not only teach you how to shoot, but remind you why you should learn. That last bit is more important than the first, IMHO.

One nice thing about Appleseed is that although it is basic rifle marksmnship training, the Instructors make every effort to tailor their instruction to the individual. If you are a Noob, you will get a different sort of instruction than if you are already a Rifleman. Even if you are a great shot, there are probably a few tips they can give you, or maybe help correct a mistake or bad habit you didn't realize you had.

They will try to help practically anyone shooting practically anything, but it is not a bad idea to do a little practice first. You can get "Fred's Guide to Becoming a Rifleman" and use that, or go to the Appleseed web site appleseedinfo.org and find a lot of info there that you cann use to max out your Appleseed clinic for you. Their forum (you'll have to register to view--no biggie) has a lot of info also, including checklists of what to bring, scheduals, and tons of other stuff. A couple of their guys are Trainers on this site, so look 'em up.

It is a marvelous program, and I believe every rifle shooter can benefit, regardless of skill level going in, because they make a point of including the why part of learning to shoot a rifle well.

Much better stated than I would have done did.

Edited to better reflect reality

Further edited to reflect better grammar and spelling on my part. raf
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:53:02 AM EST
In before the negative comments by those who have never been there.

Yeah.
I have been to one.
It was great.
Do a search and you will find many other threads just like this one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:16:12 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:26:39 PM EST
Just signed up for Sandusky, OH on 8/23-24
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:15:56 PM EST
I enjoyed the Tocoa, Georgia Appleseed last year. Learned a lot. There's a Revolutionary War lesson involved in the event. It was money well-spent.
Top Top