Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/1/2004 6:42:37 AM EST
I am toying with the thought of building a PC for gaming, primarily FPSs. Any recomendations for CPUs, Motherbroads, and video cards?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:56:20 PM EST
I think if you invest in the best it will take you a long way without busting your wallet. A buddy of mine builds PCs that are insanely fast yet insanely cheap yet he gets all his parts from wholesale websites (ie tigerdirect.com, newegg.com.). The computer won't break the bank, however, the monitor and junk like that will.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:10:56 AM EST
I'd go with an AMD processor, but that's a personal preference thing, Intel is good too. Asus mobo's are top of the line, had mine for several years and never a problem. There's some other good brands too, but which ever you get, be sure to research it well. Video Card, I like ATi. You can probably get a good deal on a 9800 XT now that the nex X800 is out. Unless you want top of the line, then get the X800. For a monitor I'd recommend a NEC/Mitsubishi (same monitors from both, just different brand names) or Sony. If it's for gaming I'd recommend getting a CRT, not a flat panel. Any more questions, feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:22:23 PM EST
I agree with what the others have suggested. I like Asus boards and AMD gives you a better bang for the buck and seems to be a little quicker with the games. Get a gig of ram. Video cards depend on what the newest cards are. For savings you want to look at the previous generation which usually still has great performance/cheaper cost which in ATI's case would be the 9800 Pro and XT with the Pro being the better deal. Get a case with lots of fans and don't be cheap on the power source. Also, don't forget to get yourself a good mouse that feels comfortable in your hand.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:15:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/4/2004 5:17:29 PM EST by 5xfive]
Hey there folks.

I am new to the forums, but not to this subject.

There have already been some great suggestions, so I'll be breif.

As far as cpu's there are 2 ways to go Intel and AMD. I have been using an AMD 2700 for about 2 years now, and have not had any probs. I would suggest going the 64bit route. AMD3000 is a well priced Intel killer. Grab up a ASUS board, or ABIT, if your gonna overclock. Video cards are subject to debate now adays. ATI has ruled the roost for the last couple years, and own n'vidia in alot of catagories. The only reason I would suggest N'vidia is for Doom3. I have an old 9700pro, oc'd and it plays that game great, but the 6800 series gives a pretty sizeable increase in fps.

Memory is pretty important for gaming. Kingston, Geil, Corsair, OCZ, all have very good results in my pc's.

Hard drive prices have been dropping for a year now. SATA drives are all the rage, with Western Digital and Seagate getting good reveiws.

As far as ordering online. Stick to the big guys. Newegg and Buyxg.com have been wonderful to me, and all my freinds. (We, as a group, have probably ordered enough parts to build 12 pc's and have never had a problem)

I know this post goes nowhere fast. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask. Obviously you have some exeriance building your own, not that it's hard, but most people think its rocket science. Plus if you guys can build a rifle from scratch a pc aint nothin.

oh yeah..check out www.tomshardware.com www.hardocp.com and www.amdmb.com for a good place to start for suggestions and reveiws of new and older hardware.

n8
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:13:42 PM EST
Everyone's given some good advice so far, but i will say for memory, be careful about the brand. Some of the new dual channel boards can be very picky about what memory they will work with. Check the book or manfacturer's website for recommendations on brand. From what I've seen you can't go wrong wtih Crucial, Corsair, or Samsung.

In my case, I have an Asus board with dual channel memory slots, and I had been running 2 stick of generic Samsung memory for a long time with no problems. I decided to buy 2 sticks of Kingston HyperX RAM to boost my speed some, without checking the mfr's website. After I put them in they caused all kinds of problems, BSOD's, random reboots, crashing out of games, all kinds of stuff. So I changed the memory back and checked the website and Kingston wasn't on their list of recommended memroy brands.
Top Top