Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 2:00:09 PM EDT
My computer is fine, but my girlfriend's is (I believe) horribly infested.  It is super slow.... I'm talking several seconds (as in 20-30) to open a new window.  

I belive it's probably spyware bogging the whole system down.  She has some kind of spyware/adware scanner but it only scans, not cleans.  

If it's spyware/adware, what's the best FREE cleaner I can get on this thing.  If it's something else, suggestions and advice are welcome.  

And yes, I'll post pics... when I get some.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
i have spyware doctor.

i dont have popups or spyware...it works pretty damn good.

IM sent
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow... almost finished scanning and 3151 infections found!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Adaware and spybot.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Spent half the evening scanning with spyware doctor, then the other half cleaning/rebooting/cleaning/rebooting.  But the computer is still super slow.  I'm wondering if maybe she has viruses that aren't being caught by her out of date McAffee.

It's so slow it causes me physical pain.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#5]
housecall.trendmicro.com/

run both the virus scan and the spyware scan.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#6]
get a new girlfriend and/or computer... lots cheaper!  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#7]
for free antivirus, try AVG:

AVG Free Edition

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#8]
scroll down and click download xblock
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#9]
A low level format and fresh install is going to be a quicker way to clean up a machine that infested... which you might never get real clean without a clean format.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A low level format and fresh install is going to be a quicker way to clean up a machine that infested... which you might never get real clean without a clean format.

That's what I'm starting to think.  It's "OH MY GOD" slow.  It only has 128 MB of ram, which doesn't help.  The little things build up and bog down pretty fast I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I just checked the task manager.  There is a program using 80-99 of  the CPU, it is p2sprp.exe  
I've never heard of it and can't find any references on Google.  Virus perhaps?
Also the system performance shows pretty consistently that 90 to 100% of the CPU is being used.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Spent half the evening scanning with spyware doctor, then the other half cleaning/rebooting/cleaning/rebooting.  But the computer is still super slow.  I'm wondering if maybe she has viruses that aren't being caught by her out of date McAffee.

It's so slow it causes me physical pain.  

what version McAfee?
if version 8 get the zip file and extract the .dat files into the VSO subfolder of the main mcafee folder. you'll have to disable mcafee first.
earlier versions try to use the exe
www.mcafeesecurity.com/us/downloads/updates/dat.asp

yup, no real reason to pay mcafee for updates. sure the automatic updates stop working, but you can still manually download the dat files
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just checked the task manager.  There is a program using 80-99 of  the CPU, it is p2sprp.exe  
I've never heard of it and can't find any references on Google.  Virus perhaps?
Also the system performance shows pretty consistently that 90 to 100% of the CPU is being used.

likely is it's not on google it's not a legitimate program. I'd find it and at the very least move and rename the exe and if none of the wanted programs complain about the file not being there delete it
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
likely is it's not on google it's not a legitimate program. I'd find it and at the very least move and rename the exe and if none of the wanted programs complain about the file not being there delete it

That worked nicely!  Still pretty slow, but a definite improvement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top