Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2002 7:22:32 PM EDT
Bought an older house with galvanized steel pipe. Enduring low pressure.
The pipes run through the attic (concrete slab foundation)
I am considering having the house repiped.

a. What are the pitfalls that I should be looking for?
b. What are the common ripoff schemes? ie. "extended warranty on a new car"

I will get three price quotes and settle for the mid price.

Thanks

ACK

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, you will have to endure dust, dirt, and someone in your home for a few days.  Also, you wont have water at some times.  You're looking at a cost of between $13,000 and $18,000 depending on where you live, how bad your situation is, and how much work needs to be done.  Plumbing can get expensive!

Edited to add:

Make sure he doesn't cut through any joists, beams, rafters, or load bearing studs!  This is common in this situation and can give you problems later on down the road.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Whoa!

13k to 18k?????

What size house are you thinking he is going to repipe sir? A mansion???

I am a plbg contractor and that is an awful dang big $ amount you are throwing around.

How big is the house and how many fixtures?

Dram

Dont scare him that bad...sheesh!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Whoa!

13k to 18k?????

What size house are you thinking he is going to repipe sir? A mansion???

I am a plbg contractor and that is an awful dang big $ amount you are throwing around.

How big is the house and how many fixtures?

Dram

Dont scare him that bad...sheesh!
View Quote

My information came mostly from a friend who was looking to have this done.  He (I as well) live in CA, and he owns a two story home.  I'm thinking that the quotes he got either took all that into account, or there was some major BS going on with people trying to screw him.  However, I do stand by my comment about plumbing being expensive.  Give me something to be right about dammit.[:)]

Dramborleg,

What would be a "reasonable/average" cost for a ONE story, modest sized house to be repiped? (yes, seriously... I would like to know for future reference, thanks)
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi BP,

Well, cost really depends on the job now doesnt it? Here in MI we have basements or crawl spaces to work in mostly.

2 story houses would poss. req. having to remove some ceiling to get to the bathroom with the repipe, ?? was remove replace ceiling in his quote?? Just might have been, that would up the ante for sure to bring another contractor in for drywall/plaster and paint.

To give you an idea, you must tell me how many baths... and how many square feet in the house, slab construction,basement or what.

Here a modest size home repipe with a bath and 1/2 or 2 bath goes for $3-$5k. Tearout and replace. If you get a plumber to do it on the side for $CASH$ now we are talking discounts!!!!

Just my .02 cents, ymmv as always.

Dram
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:37:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#6]
BigPig.
I hope it is less than 13K. The house has 2 1/2 baths. Single story, around 1800 sq ft. Two baths are next to each other with fixtures facing the outside wall (there goes my stucco)
The 1/2 bath is more remote. Slab foundation, piping going through the attic.
I have an outfit called HENRIK giving me a quote this afternoon (first quote)
Oh well, I do not have to eat well. Lots of spam recipes
Thank you
ACK
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Ah yes, to live in CA... One must love it!  [rolleyes]

Everything is ALWAYS more expensive in CA.  

Dramborleg,

My friend had a quote for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house, just under 2,000 sq. ft.  It has a crawl space, and attic, both of which are not the easiest places to access.  I'm sure the quotes he got were over estimated, but I agree, they were high.

ACK,

Good luck and I hope it costs you much much less.  You are looking at some inconveniece for a week or two, however, so prepare yourself for that.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife went to visit her mom for two weeks. Good time to do the job. We went camping...once,
her idea of roughing it is a three star hotel.

California. Can't deny that it is a fun place. My wife is from Florida. One time just to show off we went to the San Gabriel mountains in the morning to play in the snow. In the afternoon we went down to Newport Beach, watched a great sunset, had an early dinner and then drove to the Performing Art Center for a play.

Not too many places you can do all of that.

Regards

ACK

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
BigPig here is an update:
BigPig update:
Cost will be $5300. Will use "K" type copper tubing. Instead of "rolled" tubing they use straight tubing with elbows. Will replace shower/bathtub faucets, laundry room faucet. Install new main ball valve and replace all the sink connections with stainless steel hoses with ball valves. Patchup is part of the deal. 50 year warranty.
Three days to do the job, one day for the inspector and one day at a later date for the patchup.

Sounds reasonable?

Regards

ACK

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
 I'd use CPVC if the local code allows it.  Metallic pipe of any kind will corrode.  Steel pipe usually plugs up, and copper leaks.  The only thing that attacks plastic pipe is fire, and in that event the plumbing will be the least of your worries.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#11]
ACK,

Sounds great!  I will tell my friend about all this as it really sounds like he was getting some really screwy quotes.  What gives?  I don't get it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top