Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2002 10:59:03 AM EDT
Looking to purchase a go kart for my 6yr old son, so have some questions to anyone familiar with go karts.

1.) Is it legal to drive it in the streets.  Live in a residential area here in Los Angeles - quiet neighborhood so should be safe.

2.) Electric vs gas engines.  Not very mechanically inclined so which one has lower maintenance needs.

3.) Any recommendations on brands or places to shop - not looking to spend more than 500 bucks

Son currently has one of those electric ride on cars from Toys R Us but is no longer fun (going 2.5 to 5.0 mph just doesn't hack it anymore).

Thanks for all your advice and suggestion in advance.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#1]
You should realize that anything fun is illegal in California.

Now way it would be street legal or a 6yr old competent enough to be turned loose on his own.

Buy a couple of dirt bikes and find a local motocross club and go ride where it's safe.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know your neighborhood, but will still recommend strongly AGAINST letting him drive this around on the street, even if it IS (I doubt it) legal.

These things are low to the ground and it really would put him at risk from drivers who don't see him and back up over him, pull out in his path, or don't seem him in front of their hood or whatever.   I know in my SUV I couldn't see a damn Toyota that was parked right behind me.  Good thing I went slow.

I agree with the idea that if he's gonna drive something with a motor, it needs to be at a safe place.  And locked up at other times.

There's nothing wrong with a bike.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been riding karts since I was 5 and I can tell you they do NOT belong on any street.

If you and your son are serious about Karting, get a basic gas powered beginner and head too the local track. Karting is alot of fun and your son will learn quick, most kids do. You can get a good kart for under $500 used, just make sure it will meet the safety requirements of your track and area. You said you were not mechanically inclined, but with a little know-how you could buy a rolling chassis and add an engine and add-ons it is not that difficult, you will save money and it can be a great father son project, you could learn together.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Get him a nice little quad... he will thank you forever
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Drive a go-cart on the streets? You have to be nuts! [X]
If you want to see real carts in action take a drive up the 14 freeway to Willow Springs International Raceway and go watch the 250 shifter cart races. On the big track these things get up to 160+mph. The 125's do about 130 or so.
[img]http://www.trackmagic.com/images/racephotos/large%20photos/dsc_0027_lg.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for knocking some sense into me ... I thought zooming up and down the streets at 10mph was harmless fun but now I know better ... better safe than sorry.

Have a happy and safe 4th of July!!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Drive a go-cart on the streets? You have to be nuts! [X]
If you want to see real carts in action take a drive up the 14 freeway to Willow Springs International Raceway and go watch the 250 shifter cart races. On the big track these things get up to 160+mph. The 125's do about 130 or so.
[img]http://www.trackmagic.com/images/racephotos/large%20photos/dsc_0027_lg.jpg[/img]
View Quote

My 24 yr old younger brother has exactly this cart pictured...

It's a yellow '99 Trackmajic 125cc...
I ran it in the street for about 5 minutes...
That sucker ran like a scalded cat...
(It's for sale too)

DEFINATELY would not recommend it for a 6yr old...

My local Wal-Mart sells all terrain go-carts that look adequate for a 6yr old...
Can't remember how much they were though...

They looked like a "turn-key" toy...
Just add fuel, and go....
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I am planning on getting my kids a cart for Christmas this year to keep at our property in the country. Anbody have any opinions about the "yerf dogs" (two seaters) they sell at Academy? TIA.
dave
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#9]
USNjoe, don't take this the wrong way. Awhile back I was interested in these and could not find out how fast they go. You say 160plus! Man that seems fast, like 20/30 mph under NASCAR. With no roll bar that I can see. Can you give me a site where they talk about how fast these are?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I have noticed that a weak point on some of the Yerf carts and their type rely on a belt drive system.  These belts basically do the work they do by friction on their sides.  These can wear out pretty quickly and aren't relatively inexpensive.  Don't expect to run down to the local O'Reilly's/Autozone and pick one up.
YMMV
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://www.emmick.com[/url][}:D]

Right around the corner from where I live.. Awesome karts..

-T.

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:01:26 AM EDT
[#12]
i have a alcohol road kart, a margay pro with briggs 5 horse raptor built up for comprtition.

70mph approx. top end depending on gearing. due to expense, i can't afford to move into a shifter or lay-down kart.

i've raced a little dirt oval, and is very much like nascar.

notice the "horse collar" under the drivers' helmets. that is the only protection against a broken neck a pilot has. no belts, no cage or roll bar (except for cage-karts and full bodied karts). look in the seat of the no. 26 kart (red bicel) and you can see the horse collar neck/helmet pad.

i'll try and post a few links to karting sites.

[url]http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=8&q=http://www.worldkarting.com/&e=653[/url]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top