Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2001 5:34:16 PM EDT
A nation lost its innocents.

Being 13 years old I wasn't much into politics. And according to the "average age" poll on this board, most of you were'nt born yet. Many of you have learned not to like JFK for whatever reason but this topic is not about his politics. Its about what happened on that day. Those of you in the 50 year old range should remember. I was in school, it was recess [yes they called it that back then]. The announcement came over the PA system to immediately go to our homeroom class for dismissal.
I remember the horror and shock of it all. Everything, I mean everything on tv was news of the assassination. The young popular president with the beautiful wife and two young children was murdered on the streets of Dallas Tx. It was certainly one of the most unforgettable events I have ever lived through. The only thing that ever came close since then was the Apollo 13 situation, and believe me it was a distant second.
So, You may not like JFK today but remember he did say,"you don't tax yourself into prosperity" "before the decade is out we will land a man on the moon and return him safely to the earth" and who can forget the excitement of the cuban missile crisis. Even in death he keeps us talking about him.

And no, I am not a flaming liberal. Just an American who remembers his childhood.    
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I was four so I don't remeber much. I have learned that he left thousands of cuban freemdom fighters to die on the beach in cuba without the promised aircover. I have since learned that he probably had lower morals then Clinton.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
My father went to mass that day and the woman in the pew next to him was crying.  He asked her what was wrong, and she said "Haven't you heard, the President has been killed in Dallas."

Also, I was born exactly 9 months later.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in my first year at MSU. A group of us were sitting in the Union building and at first thought it was a hoax.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I was 3 months from being born, but today is my fathers birthday.  He has told me things about his Birthday in '63.

He was driving from his home to his Aunts house for a party when he heard it on the radio.  He said that people were stopping along the road and consoling each other.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Definitely a conspiracy! Some say it was because he was going to pull our troops out of Vietnam.  I just know it sure wasn't Lee Harvey Oswald shooting him in the head.  I believe he had a part in Marilyn Monroe's death.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I was in the 7th grade at the time.  The principal gathered us all in the quad area, and she had tears in eyes, and announced to us that the John Kennedy has been shot and killed in Dallas.  I felt so sad.  At the time, I didn't know and/or care the difference between a democrat and a republican.  Even though he was a democrat, he did have a real vision for our country.  Check out the Sixth Floor Museum website, it the Dallas book depository where Lee Oswald shot Kennedy.  Check out the   EarthCam's Dealey Plaza Cam shot to see the actual view that Oswald had.  Pretty interesting. [url]http://www.jfk.org/Home.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#8]
A week away from turning eleven.
I was in music class and another teacher came in and whispered into the music teachers ear. She started crying and excused herself and went into the hallway.
School was canceled (or at least most of us went home). It's (like the WTC)is etched into my memory forever.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I was clearing into George AFB and since it was a half day process, I just walked into my quad, turned the radio on.  Static but, garrbled news report of the president has been assasinated.  Sat down in shock,  what the pluck,  who the hell would do it.  Read Warren report and other crap that came down the pike.  I have my opinions and that's all there is.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#11]
This was about two weeks before my 4th birthday, so I really don't remember it.

But, I do remember the funeral procession a few days later. Mom was watching it on TV and I was there too. I remember asking her about what was happening and some of what she told me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top