Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2003 5:47:03 AM EDT
The lead of the Pistols in Columbus Oh.wants me to give a interview to a local alternative newspaper [read liberal]that is pro ccw.I have delt with liberal papers before and know how it can go bad in a interview.My question is do I chance it and give it my best shot,or forget about?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The lead of the Pistols in Columbus Oh.wants me to give a interview to a local alternative newspaper [read liberal]that is pro ccw.I have delt with liberal papers before and know how it can go bad in a interview.My question is do I chance it and give it my best shot,or forget about?
View Quote

How is the integrity of the newspsper.  Are they notorious for yello journalism, misquoting, general NY Times practices.  I made the mistake of doing an interview for my school newspaper (REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELY Liberal) and I was misquoted on every line.  Fortunately, the interviewer wasnt the only one with a tape recorder.  I confronted the Faculty advisor with my evidence and threatend to go to the school board unless there was a big retraction on the first pages in the next issue.  I got my retraction, they canned the "reporter" and re-wrote the artical using the real interview.

SS, Unless you can trust them, I wouldnt do it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:53:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Newspapers have a nasty nasty way of twisting what they want to report from what they've investigated. But if the rag is pro CCW, and by "pistols" you mean "Pink Pistols" I think they'd be friendly towards you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:54:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Kinda like academic researchers with their conclusions in hand before they ever start to do the research.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#4]
bring your own video/audio recorder.

tell the reporter that you will not stand for being taken out of context.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Remember that the writer [b]ALWAYS[/b] gets the last word.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

7IDL gave the best advise, take a small tape recorder or digital recorder. That way you have an original copy of the interview, they quote you out of context or butcher a quote or anything and you can bitch about it because you have the exact same thing recorded as the reporter. They know that they can't F$%k up or they could be in trouble. Do the interview, ya gotta represent.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good luck. As in any interview by a newspaper- any newpaper, but esp. an alternative paper, usually run by ignorant urban/suburban leftists student types- you will encounter ignorance, misinformation and bias, esp. when it comes to guns. And expect to be misquoted.

The Pink Pistols in Boston, however, got a good write-up recently in local librags, but the editors always put in with a comment from local leftist gay pols (Cheryl Jacques, Jarrett Barrios, e.g.) saying the PPs were not representative of gay people, and that they were, uh extremists, tools for white supremacists, etc.- you know the drill.

David Rostcheck of the PP's is a good person to ask about this stuff. He used to live in MA, and was involved with workshops through the Gun Owners' Action League in MA- he found and they found that both groups had a lot in common. Isn't he in TX now? Look on the PP webpage or [url]www.goal.org[/url]webpage- he must be available through them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Good luck. As in any interview by a newspaper- any newpaper, but esp. an alternative paper, usually run by ignorant urban/suburban leftists student types- you will encounter ignorance, misinformation and bias, esp. when it comes to guns. And expect to be misquoted.

The Pink Pistols in Boston, however, got a good write-up recently in local librags, but the editors always put in with a comment from local leftist gay pols (Cheryl Jacques, Jarrett Barrios, e.g.) saying the PPs were not representative of gay people, and that they were, uh extremists, tools for white supremacists, etc.- you know the drill.

David Rostcheck of the PP's is a good person to ask about this stuff. He used to live in MA, and was involved with workshops through the Gun Owners' Action League in MA- he found and they found that both groups had a lot in common. Isn't he in TX now? Look on the PP webpage or [url]www.goal.org[/url]webpage- he must be available through them.
View Quote

Thx guy...David is working on a e-mail as we speak...I'd proably not mention that i'm a NRA,GOA member .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top