Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 12:53:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
They're just trying to protect you, don't you know??  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like you just got some doofus checking your order, or maybe its just because its your first order. I have placed many orders from them that shipped to different states, and have never had an issue as long as the address is on record with bank.
Also, since they are a tech/online only store, I have found that they respond to email much more thoroughly than calls. Before they reply to your email they will check with the department in charge of your request and get their input, better than being placed on hold.
Hopefully you get your laptop soon, and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It is frustrating, but alot of computer companies will do the same kind of thing.

When I ordered my apple laptop, I got the rigamorol, but not as many problems validating my address.

Usually Newegg is top-notch, let us know if and when you recieve the laptop.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen a number of companies do this or something similar. Supposed to help cut down on fraud.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
When I ordered my laptop form newegg My bank called me to make sure I was the one who ordered it before they apporeved the transaction.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When I ordered my laptop form newegg My bank called me to make sure I was the one who ordered it before they apporeved the transaction.

This happened with me on my computer order from them as well. First order took about 3 days for them to "verify" everything. I've made several orders since then, processed in less than 3 hours, from click to ship. No shit. Newegg rocks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I've ordered complete sets of components for 3 of my own systems and one that I built for my dad. Never had a problem, always delivered in a timely fashion, and nbo matter how complicated the orders have been they get them right. Not sure what Newegg yous guys are ordering through, but the one I call is top notch...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll bet that places like NewEgg are very frequent targets of CC fraud.  Hell, if I stole a credit card number and info, NewEgg would be my first place to shop.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've seen a number of companies do this or something similar. Supposed to help cut down on fraud.

Care to name them? I've bought watches, electronics, gun parts, ammunition, no end of tactical gear, CDs, DVDs, books, flowers, clothes, fairly expensive sunglasses and other items online, with all deliveries going to an address other than my billing address, and never before been asked to do this.

I'd like to hear of any other companies who do this.

I've VERY OCCASIONALLY run across the same thing, when ordering stuff for my wife's house in Nashville.  

I cannot remember what companies (or even what purchasees) it was, but I remember it happening once or twice.  However, in those cases, it was just a simple matter of calling in the order - as opposed to just doing it on-line - but never of needing to get my bank to do anything.

You've got more patience than me.  The second it would have involved calling my bank or credit card to change things, I would have given up.   Hope the laptop arrives without problems.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered something yesterday and went with normal Fedex shipping and it was here today...  Had it happen a few times before too. They are a really fast company.

They do this because they do an ENORMOUS volume of sales. They started with a single distrobution center about 6 years ago. They are upto 3 now and I think they are building a fourth.
Tour newegg
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You've got more patience than me.  The second it would have involved calling my bank or credit card to change things, I would have given up.   Hope the laptop arrives without problems.

You weren't there in the office with me. I got a little *irritated* at the second phone call with Newegg. I may even have said something to the effect that if I was a prisoner in Abu Ghraib, what they were doing to me would get them investigated by Amnesty International...

This is not uncommon in the computer parts industry...just about any place i've ordered from in the past 4 years has insisted on this.  General retailers like amazon and buy.com too.  Thought most anybody would have had to deal with this by now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want to check where you order is at with NewEgg log back on to their website and look up your order history.  It will show you what stage your order is at and give you the tracking information after it has shipped.  NewEgg is awesome when it comes to getting orders processed and shipped out.  I have ran into the same problem that you had with other electronic companies.  It's a pain but it's to cut down fraud.  If it was going to be shipped to your billing address there wouldn't have been any issues.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to name them? I've bought watches, electronics, gun parts, ammunition, no end of tactical gear, CDs, DVDs, books, flowers, clothes, fairly expensive sunglasses and other items online, with all deliveries going to an address other than my billing address, and never before been asked to do this.

I'd like to hear of any other companies who do this.

Almost every reputable computer company does it.  CDW, Mwave, Newegg, ZipZoomFly...

Newegg is still the best place for computer parts, period.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#17]
It explains all of this stuff when your ordering, so it shouldn't be that big of a surprise it even has "order processing steps" to keep you up to date on where exactly the order is at internally at newegg.

As soon as you get it hashed out on your first order, all the other orders you do will be VERY quick.

Newegg is probably one of the fastest "net" purchases companies I've ever used.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Anandtech recently toured the Newegg facility. Explaining some large metal crates in the processing center, Newegg's VP said:

"Shipping to the US Military is requires extensive paperwork in comparison to our normal shipping operations," says Howard Tong, Vice President of Newegg.com. "Not many companies provide this service but we feel it's worth the extra effort to support our troops and our nation."

Just one more reason why I like Newegg.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered a video card from them last month.  I was a new customer and when I got to the part of the order where it says about adding a different address to my card, I called the CC company and told them that I wanted to add an autherized address to my account.  This was around 10pm on Sun night.  Newegg confirmed my order that night and shipped it the next morning
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
They're just trying to protect you, don't you know??  

Yes but it is true. They ARE watching out for your interests here.
Your address is in Texas, and someone claiming to be you is trying to order an expensive item on one of your credit cards, and have it delivered half way across the country.

Instead of being a bitch you should be thankful that they are being so cautious.
If you had wanted to avoid the problem, you could have just bought a money order or bank check and had that overnighted to them.
~
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#23]
After the second time I'd've not completed the order.

You sir, have the patience of a saint.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Instead of being a bitch you should be thankful that they are being so cautious.

I'm not a bitch. I'm relating my customer service problems with a well-regarded internet retailer.

Edit: Instead of calling you what you obviously are, I'll just note for the record that any coward can talk like you do when you're not betting your dental health on the outcome.

You're an artist with the english language, Jarhead.  

Glad your laptop arrived okay.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#27]
More and more webtailers are doing the verification.   It a safety net for both the customer and their company.   Some had also began to adopt the verified by visa program also.  

Sometimes the banks take time in updating the records o the charge card system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top