Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 5:30:08 PM EDT
I got some new computers for the holidays. So I ahve this celeron 600 computer with a 15" flat panel with nowhere to go. Don't want to throw it away.

So i decided to put it in the kitchen so my wife can watch tv while cooking. I bought a wireless keyboard and mousse for 10 bucks after rebate and pulled a few wires and a few hours later it was done.

Whatcha think?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Good job using a clunker for something instead of buying something else or tossing it.

Hell, my primary file server is a dinosaur Dell dual P-Pro 180.  Slow as snot but it runs Win2K server, is rock solid and handles my MP3's, docs and photos just fine.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
sweet idea
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Good job using a clunker for something instead of buying something else or tossing it.

Hell, my primary file server is a dinosaur Dell dual P-Pro 180.  Slow as snot but it runs Win2K server, is rock solid and handles my MP3's, docs and photos just fine.

Thats awsome..  I still have a dual ppro stashed somewhere..   also using a dual xeon450 for a server to run cacti
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Other uses....take it to the range.

Fella brought a used-up mini tower and shot it up with his 1911.

Interesting thing was ....there were no exit holes. He picked up what was left of the shell and all these nice little flat , saucer-shaped  .45 bullets fell out.
Moral of the story....if all else fails, try hiding behind the mini-tower if a co-worker goes postal.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice thing about old, slow computers, is that Linux probably runs on them, when newer Windows won't
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Whatcha think?

Good job.

You might want to check out a free VoIP PBX system using that old unused computer, a free softphone and a $10 FXO card.

www.digium.com/
and
www.asterisk.org/
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in the process of shooting pics for a new website I'm going to be putting up.

One section will deal with the DGPC ( = Dumpster Grade Personal Computer) rebuild and conversion into a CNC control. Running EMC via BDI v4.38

Another section will detail the conversion of a circa 1993 AT micro tower which will house the four Axis drive amps and 36VDC 12A Power supply.

All parts were salvaged from the trash and software is all freeware.

I will post links when its up.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah, you whipper-snappers and your "old" computers...

My 12-year-old Powerbook 520 (25 MHz 68040) has spent the last 4+ years performing the sole task of serving as a fax machine. It runs 24/7, connected to a 12 volt battery and charger (poor man's UPS). It scoffs at spilled beer, and sneers at thunderstorms!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#9]
You may just have a family member who could use one for basic WP and internet surfing and E-mail, that can be done on a pretty basic machine.  My 300 mhz was just passed to one of the boys, and if he doesn't get caught up on yard work, it just may got to Grandma Danby who has just decided she might want to start surfing the net and e-mail.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatcha think?

Good job.

You might want to check out a free VoIP PBX system using that old unused computer, a free softphone and a $10 FXO card.

www.digium.com/
and
www.asterisk.org/

what does this do in english?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#11]
"DGPC" - I like it!

My own DGPC is a 66mhz 486 (HP Vectra) that is currently running the 4 axis CNC

The LAN here still has a 266mhz Celeron running NT4.0 - one of the most stable machines I have.  I have not turned it off for more than a few minutes in 6 years.  It's clone has a fresh drive, and Linux - which is just fine at 266.

The rest of the junk around here is faster, but the old stuff still runs fine.

Lem
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:12:01 AM EDT
[#12]
If I may ask, what video card are you running in that machine?  

I'd love to do that with my old Dell 8100 but it doesn't have AGP or PCI-E slots to use with any of those higher-end cards that have VIVO/TV-out.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:15:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Plus she can use it to look up new and exciting sammichs to make.  win/win  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:17:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow a Celeron 600 is a clunker. I'm still using a Celeron 366 as my main system.

I know I need to upgrade but I just have other things that come first.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatcha think?

Good job.

www.digium.com/
and
www.asterisk.org/

what does this do in english?

voice over internet protocol  (phone)  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top