Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2006 11:47:28 AM EDT
I just picked up a 4 month old Blue Heeler/Austalian Shepard from my cousin who lives so far out in the country they have to pipe in the sunshine.

Anyway the dog hasnt had any shots yet (will get them at vet tommorrow) or checked for worms.But the wife is giving it a flea/tick bath as I type.

Would it be OK for it to spend the night in the house w/kids or should I keep it outsied until I take it to the vets?

Thanks Jm03
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#1]
After the bayh, he should be fine.  However, I would not allow a 4 month old puppy free range of the house while I sleep.  Now is a good time to start his crate training.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
After the bayh, he should be fine.  However, I would not allow a 4 month old puppy free range of the house while I sleep.  Now is a good time to start his crate training.

\

And keep him away from other dogs/ animal feces as well.

efxguy
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]
inside and crate it
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thanks for the replies.Now can you guys enlighten me on " Crate Training " ?

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I crate trained my GSD recently.  The concept is: dogs like a cave-like structure to live in.  Crate equals cave.  I bought an oversized crate.  The dog only needs enough space to curl up in.  If he has too much space he will crap in the crate, so i put boxes in the rear of the crate to create a smaller space. As he grew, I removed boxes.  Using the crate concept he was house broken in about two weeks.  Feed them ouside the crate.  After about 20 minutes, put him in the crate.  When he indicates he wants to get out, take him directly outside.  Worked for me.   On the otherhand, if he just started whinning because he wants out, ignore him.  Only let him out when he's not fussing.  Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top