Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2002 6:46:52 PM EDT
Yes, you heard right - [b]braiding[/b].  Here's the rundown: I'm making about $5 a pop making/selling these little braided bookmarks.  They're very clever, and not too difficult to make...might keep one for myself when I'm done.  The problem, however, is braiding the main section of the unit.

I used to make those little friendship bracelets back in grade school, but those were made out of maybe 1 1/2 foot long threads.  These babies are a whopping 6' long.  I've got the braiding down, but the only problem is the "focal point", where all 3 strings focus on one tightening point while you're braiding them.  When you're dealing with such a long material, it's nearly impossible to make the knot (that you tie at the opposite end) the focal point...it always wants to happen somewhere in between.  To make matters worse, you can't "move up" where the braids are forming, i.e. you can't slide them up to the knot...they just all start from where your eventual focal point is, usually about 3 ft. from the damn end knot.

Any suggestions (with the exception of buying one of those hand hair-braiding machines)?  I'm using standard embroidery thread, not yarn.  I can't for the life of me get the braids to start at the knot, and I'm even pulling the threads WAY out so that I'm basically using my entire ARM to take 'one over the other'.  Yeah yeah, you can chime in with the jokes too - but please help me constructively while you're at it [;)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
A braiding Jewbroni, doesn't sound to evil.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]
If all Jews would be like you, there would be peace in the Middle East...
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A braiding Jewbroni, doesn't sound to evil.
View Quote

No no, I'm only Eee-vil part-time.  With the decling economy, the Eee-vil pay isn't what it used to be, so I'm taking up this on the side.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
BTT
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I dunno, maybe do a search for macrame (I don't think that is spelled right) on one of the search engines to see if you can get some type of on-line tutorial. But that's not really what you're doing is it? You need to give your little sister back her Barbie and Raggady Ann doll and start playing with guy stuff, like guns.

Karl
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I dunno, maybe do a search for macrame (I don't think that is spelled right) on one of the search engines to see if you can get some type of on-line tutorial. But that's not really what you're doing is it? You need to give your little sister back her Barbie and Raggady Ann doll and start playing with guy stuff, like guns.

Karl
View Quote

See, both helpful and blatantly punishing at the same time.  It can be done - thanks, Karl!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#7]
you're welcome, let me know if you find anything useful.

Karl
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I used to make those little friendship bracelets back in grade school....
View Quote

You are a sissy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top