Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:34:31 AM EDT
it is my distinct honor to outfit a jukebox for a brand new bar.  redneck music is pretty well covered, but as to what else should be on it, i'm at a loss pretty much.

so, i ask arfcom this:  what music absolutely HAS to be on a bar jukebox?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Buffett
GnR
ACDC
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:40:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Please, Mr., please, don't play B-17  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:40:50 AM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#4]
slayer
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Clapton --->Classic rock
Hendrix --->Classic Rock
Sister Hazel ---->College rock, southern Tom Petty'ish
Quiet Riot ----> 80's Metal
Tom Petty ----> Classic Rock, Southern
The Eagles ----> Classic Rock
The Cars -----> 80's Rock, New Wave
Elvis -----> Elvis
Metallica ----> Metal
Hank Williams Jr (Bocephus) ---->Country AND Western
Hank Williams III ----> Country and Metal/Thrash
Van Halen (DLR and Sammy) ---->Classic Rock
Night Ranger ----> 80's Rock
Skynard ----> Southern Fried Classic Rock *a.k.a.  Freedom Rock
38 Special----> Southern Fried Rock

And whatever music that chicks like...what good is a bar without nice chicky snacks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#6]
and while we're on the topic............i just got high speed internet, finally.  wheres the best place that i can pay to download music?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:43:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Bad Company - 10 from 6
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Greatest hits 1 and 2
George Thoroughgood - anything except Bad to the Bone
Cracker - Garage d'Or
Los Straightjackets - Damas y Caballeros
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Social Distortion - Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
and while we're on the topic............i just got high speed internet, finally.  wheres the best place that i can pay to download music?

Tex,

Go to limewire and get the upgrade.  I don't know if it is the best, but it is pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:44:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

iTunes
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Los Lonely Boys...And if you want to get really happy, Los Marijuanos.  
You also will need a good bit of late '80s and early '90s stuff.  

What it all comes down to is what part of TX and what is the expected/current patronage?  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the suggestions guys.

one more request though.  could you group your songs?  i admit to not having a broad music interest and don't pretend i'm not other-music illiterate.  once i secure these songs that aren't all by the same artist i have to title the cd something.............

i.e. skynrd:  classic rock, southern rock, something or another
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:49:52 AM EDT
[#12]
so, is it a redneck bar with peanut shells and sawdust on the floor or some kinda fag fern bar?

if it's a guy's bar, definitely lynyrd skynyrd, the who, george thorogood (INCLUDING "bad to the bone"!), some good blue, maybe even some hardcore grunge, filter, sheer terror, dropkick murphys, etc.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:50:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tex,

Go to limewire and get the upgrade.  I don't know if it is the best, but it is pretty damn good.

I THINK he means legally, even though you pay for limewire its not technically legal to DL music.

emusic.com has a great blues selection, quite a bit of johhny cash, some CCR. and a few other things. Their selection of rock is sorta thin though. you should be able to get 50-100 free songs with a new account if you look around. I think you get 50 free songs on emusic if you download winamp. I also got an offer of 100 free songs from emusic with a pack of CDRs i bought at best buy.

ETA: no one mentioned zeppelin... gotta have some of that. hardly ever see a jukebox without some bob seger and bob marley.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:50:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Los Lonely Boys...And if you want to get really happy, Los Marijuanos.  
You also will need a good bit of late '80s and early '90s stuff.  

What it all comes down to is what part of TX and what is the expected/current patronage?  

mostly 30s-50s but that's covered fairly well.  i'm looking to put the music on for the weekends when the 18-29 crowd comes in.  may be my generation but i've bypassed the popular music pretty well.

but by owners request, nothing in a language that isn't english.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Johnny Cash
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
so, is it a redneck bar with peanut shells and sawdust on the floor or some kinda fag fern bar?

if it's a guy's bar, definitely lynyrd skynyrd, the who, george thorogood (INCLUDING "bad to the bone"!), some good blue, maybe even some hardcore grunge, filter, sheer terror, dropkick murphys, etc.

one horse town kinda bar.  definitely nobody that wants to play or listen to death rock kind shit
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:55:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tex,

I THINK he means legally, even though you pay for limewire its not technically legal to DL music.

emusic.com has a great blues selection, quite a bit of johhny cash, some CCR. and a few other things. Their selection of rock is sorta thin though. you should be able to get 50-100 free songs with a new account if you look around. I think you get 50 free songs on emusic if you download winamp. I also got an offer of 100 free songs from emusic with a pack of CDRs i bought at best buy.

ETA: no one mentioned zeppelin... gotta have some of that. hardly ever see a jukebox without some bob seger and bob marley.

Crap...Limewire isn't legal?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#18]
its legal to use limewire, just still not legal to use it to break copywright laws Go figure.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I can tell you what I really like:  Skynyrd, The Eagles, Cross-Canadian-Ragweed, Big & Rich, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Johnny Cash, Alabama, George Jones, and some Toby Keith.  Being in Texas, you better have Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings in there.  Throw in a little bit of Merl Haggard, some George Strait, maybe a little Kris Kristofferson, and definitely some Chris Ledoux.  That'll should get you started.  The ones in red should go over better with younger people.  They're more "progressive" country.  Big & Rich are just plain crazy.  There's nothing better than going into a honky-tonk bar and hearing the live version of  "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy".  MJD
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Can't have enough 80s New Wave and Hip Hop.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
thanks for the suggestions guys.

one more request though.  could you group your songs?  i admit to not having a broad music interest and don't pretend i'm not other-music illiterate.  once i secure these songs that aren't all by the same artist i have to title the cd something.............

i.e. skynrd:  classic rock, southern rock, something or another

Whatever media player you use will categorize the music for you.  All this info is automatic with the download or if you copy a CD to the HD be online and the CD will be looked up.  Then you can access the songs by title, artist, category (country, rock, etc...) some players will even sort by decades.  But, it will be done for you automatically.  If you are making a compilation CD you can simply title it Country compilation 1 or rock compilation 3 or whatever you like....  Bear in mind that you may be having a problem with licenses if you DL music, burn to a CD and then put in juke box where people are charged to hear it.  I would contact ASCAP or another publisher about that one.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#22]
AC/DC and Aerosmith.

if you are willing to pay for the music you are using, www.allofmp3.com, no contest
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#23]
come on folks!!!!!!!

BTW, basics are covered

i.e. eagles, johnny cash, zz top, waylon, hank, toby, etc... etc....

i'm looking for the more off the wall stuff that you'd normally overlook but that should still be present
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Ohhhhh...you are looking for stuff like:

Creed
AlterBridge
Bruce Springsteen (the early stuff)
CCR
The Allman Brothers
Blink 182
Filter
The Connells
Dashboard Confessionals
Ozzy
Deep Purple
U2
BTO (Bachman Turner Overdrive)
Skid Row
Poison
Motley Crue
Bad English
The Cult
Barenaked Ladies
Pat Benetar
Styx
Night Ranger
The Police
Big Country
The Knack
Billy Idol
Bon Jovi
Bryan Adams
Ryan Adams
Blondie
CandleBox
Cinderela
The Doors
Pink Floyd
David Allen Coe
The Who
Rolling Stones
Def Leppard
Damn Yankees
Charlie Daniels
Morris Day and the Time
Huey Lewis and the News
Little River Band
Doctor Hook
Kenny Loggins
Doobie Brothers
Steely Dan
Dire Straights
Steve Earl
Everclear
The Fabulous Thunderbirds
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Stray Cats
George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic
The Foo Fighters
Foreigner
Flogging Molly
Governemt Mule
Fleetwood Mac
Peter Gabriel
Talking Heads
Georgia Sattelites
Black Crows
Go Go Dolls
Godsmack
Green Day
Dave Matthews Band
Hall and Oates
Molly Hatchett
Incubus
INXS
Beastie Boys
Run DMC
Beach Boys
Jane's Addiction
Kid Rock
Steve Miller Band
Lenny Kravitz
Linkin Park
John Cougar Mellencamp
Matchbox 20
Queen
New Order
Nickelback
Ted Nugent
Pearl Jam
Prince
Queensryche
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rush
Alice In Chains
Smash Mouth
Smashing Pumpkins
Shinedown
Scorpions
Carlos Santana
Sublime (a must have for JukeBox)
Spin Doctors
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
Third Eye Blind
Little Texas
Travis Tritt
Uncle Kracker
Velvet Revolver
Village People (For TRG)
Whitesnake
Warrant
Neil Young
ZZ Top

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#25]
TR:
I use Shareaza.  It's legal.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
TR:
I use Shareaza.  It's legal.  

LOL
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:08:34 AM EDT
[#27]
so what's legal out there?!?!?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Like I mentioned emusic.com that i have used and the other guy said allofmp3.com I browsed through allofmp3.com and they seem to have lots of stuff, but i haven't used them. they (allofmp3.com) seem pretty cheap. I will probably buy some stuff from them soon, I'll let you know how it is when I do.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
so what's legal out there?!?!?

iTunes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top