Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2010 3:56:06 PM EDT
Gents,

Had a few buddies join up recently (from other services), and seen some other questions regarding National Guard promotion system and how it works. I'll try to lay out my understanding of the system, please toss in any corrections that you may see.

The promotion system for NCO ranks is pretty streamlined and supposed to be the same across the nation. Basically, you compute your points with the NGB4100 worksheet, make sure you have supporting documentation through your S1 or readiness NCO, and then  you get placed on a promotion list. There are annual cut-off dates that your points have to be turned in to make the list. Then, you are ranked in order by promotion points, within your MOS. You get to choose if you'll accept a position state-wide, within your battalion, or within your unit/detachment. Then, the powers that be determine how many promotions they'll make that year for that particular grade (say E4 to E5) and they run down the list. If they are going to do ten promotions, they take the 10 highest scores. They begin to STAP-fill (select, train, assign, promote - which isn't the way it always works) the people on the list into the slots. If someone chooses unit only, and the slot they are offered is across the state, they'll skip that person and he won't be promoted. Different rank promotion lists are staggered across the year, usually one per quarter or so. There's also a way to be considered for promotion within a secondary MOS, but I'm not sure how that works. One big chunk of the process is evaluation - it can either be centralized (through a state promotion board) or decentralized with leadership evaluations (usually the 3 people that rate you on your NCOER). The regulation that covers promotions is AR 600-8-19.

Here's the breakdown of how the promotion points are awarded, and what you can do to make yourself more marketable-

1,000 points total possible

Time In Grade - Max 75 points (awarded 5 points per year)

Time In Service - Max 75 points (awarded 3 points per year)

Awards - Max 75 points (ARCOM is worth 20 pt, AAM is worth 15, other awards such as CIB, etc all hold specific values - see AR 600-8-19)

Weapons Qual - Max 75 points (Expert 75, Sharpshooter 50, Marksman 25)

APFT - Max 75 points (300 is worth 75, 180-299 is scaled to be worth 5-70 points)

Post Secondary Education - Max 75 points (college credit hours, 1-60 hr is worth 1 pt/hr, BA/BS is worth 75. No extra points for higher degrees)

Correspondence Courses - Max 75 points (1 pt/5 hr subcourse, 5 pt/full course completed)

Resident Courses - Max 75 points (5 points per week of resident training, NCOES does not count)

Evaluation - Max 400 points

So how can the average soldier help himself to get promoted?

First, be in a promotable status. That means you must be MOS qualified for your slot, not be flagged for height/weight, have passed your APFT, etc. These are basic soldiering skills. Also, you have to have the correct prerequisite level of NCO Education in order to be considered. Over the years, they've shifted the requirements up one rank - whereas to make SGT you previously must have graduated from PLDC, now that is a requirement to make SSG, etc. Apparently they've stopped doing conditional promotions - where you could get the rank and be required to attend the course within one  year, or los the rank.

Secondly, know how the system works. Be organized, so when they break out the 4100 worksheets randomly at drill, you can pull out your supporting documentation and make sure you are awarded all the points you qualify for. Keep copies of  your DA638 award forms, or the orders that awarded you the medals/badges so you can ensure that they are counted on your record. Just because they're in your IPERMS or unit file does not mean that they will automatically get into your 4100 print out. No one will look out for your interests like you will. Stay on your leadership to help you. They very well may not know how the system works themselves, many times its seen as almost magical how it works. It's not magical at all, you just have to be informed.

Thirdly, don't be a shitbag. Your leadership evaluation can really help you bump up your points, so be a hard worker, reliable and dependable, and show aptitude and yearning for advancement (and the additional responsibility that goes with it!) and you'll find yourself with a higher score. Leaders, this is also YOUR WAY of ensuring that someone who has no business being an NCO does not get there. I don't mean it in a punitive way, but don't feel guilted into giving a guy a high score on his 4101 Leader's Appraisal just because he's been around a long time. Think of it as exactly what it is - his score on his ability to become the next step of leader.

Also, take the initiative. Earn college credits. Take correspondence courses (see the thread on them, I recommended some good courses to make quick points, and you can also learn some very valuable information in your MOS field or another that interests you). Work hard to ensure your PT is high, and focus during weapons quals. Be concerned with doing more than the minimum. Sign up for whatever schools they'll send you to - a weeklong Field Sanitation Class could net you 5 extra points, which could bump you over someone with more time in grade or time in service.

Hope this information helps you or your soldiers.

Powerpoint presentation on NG promotion system

NGB 4100-1-RE

AR 600-8-19 Enlisted Promotions
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
And don't forget the most important thing to get yourself promoted in the Guard......Be a part of the good ol boy network.
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
And don't forget the most important thing to get yourself promoted in the Guard......Be a part of the good ol boy network.

I thought it was wait for someone to retire or die?
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was wait for someone to retire or die?

There's the information fellas. Use it to your best ability, or don't. Doesn't really matter to me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the info.................
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
One thing to add is the at least 1 year on your contract in order to recive promotion.  If someone higher than you is ETSing within a year and does not choose to reenlist to get themself over that 1 year amrk, they're passed up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One thing to add is the at least 1 year on your contract in order to recive promotion.  If someone higher than you is ETSing within a year and does not choose to reenlist to get themself over that 1 year amrk, they're passed up.

Excellent point. I just got back in on a one year contract... and then remembered that I have to have 1 year remaining on my contract in order to go to MOSQ school. So I've got to extend for 6 months just to become MOSQ'd for the job I signed up for!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top