Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2001 5:59:39 PM EDT
A friend just pointed me to this [url]www.musiccity.com/en/home_fl.html[/url]

I don't think I've seen anyone here talk about this one.  

It works the same sort of way as napster.  Plus it also has videos and for your p0rn dogs, some p0rno vids.

Right now, 650,000+ users sharing 371,824 GB of files. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I use WINMX
[url]http://www.winmx.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Aimster, just like napster, but you can  transfer any file: mp3, mpeg, jpeg, etc
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]
AudioGalaxy works great
-CK
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use Aimster, just like napster, but you can  transfer any file: mp3, mpeg, jpeg, etc
View Quote

That uses that Aim Satellite stuff correct?  I always had a problem with that, and it wasn't too user friendly.  Morpheus IMHO is way better.  Never tried Bearshare either, but Morpheus lists the files just like Napster used to.

Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I just started to use KaZaa and I've been able to fine some pretty obscure stuff. Hell, you can't have enough file swapping services, can you? Check it out, I think you will like it...
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Another good program is Gnotella.  Small, powerful program.  You can get it at:

[url]http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-1896420-100-6676699.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-1.lst-7-1.6676699[/url]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#9]
this is fast & easy. transfers all formats
[url]www.mynapster.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#10]
If you still have napster installed, you can use napigator to access the underground napster servers...
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Just downloaded "Bearshare". So far so GOOD, thanks Goatboy!!   [:)]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#12]
WinMx blows all your childish p2p appz out of the water.

get it from these people along with the trippy-mx upgrade, the server list that comes oem with it is all filtered servers that don't ever connect or have any users. so install it set it up and then patch with trippy mx list last. and [b]you can connect to as many opennap servers simultaneously as your bandwidth will allow[/b].

[url]http://www.trippynet.f2s.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Napigator that i downloaded from download.com when i got metallica banned from reg napster.I never really looked into other options cuz i'm happy with what i got. [beer]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Beware of BEARSHARE!
This program intalls SPYWARE on your computer.
I am not comfortable with software that tracks my surfing habits without my consent.
I tried BEARSHARE and found it to be severely lacking in performance and results.
I agree with some others about WinMX.
It is the best I have tried recently and I have tried several of the more popular applications.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#15]
hey goat, check out morphus, i find it to be superior to bear share in all ways. it dosent leech of another engine. it is direct P2P, so its faster than a mother.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
hey goat, check out morphus, i find it to be superior to bear share in all ways. it dosent leech of another engine. it is direct P2P, so its faster than a mother.
View Quote

I use Morpheus (musiccity.com) too.  The coolest thing about Morpheus is if a bunch of people have the same song, it downloads parts of the song from each of them.  This keeps the transfer rate at a constant.  Also, if one drops off-line, Morpheus just finds another user and keeps going.  You can pause, stop and start back up you download at a later time.  Couldn't do that with Napster.  That's one thing I really hated about Napster.  If you got kicked off-line, you had to start your download all over again.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:42:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Limewire.  One of those gnutella programs - almost as cool as Napster, but you can download video, jpegs, etc. as well.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2001 3:41:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Try Audiogalaxy. Its not as easy to use as Nappy but its pretty good. www.Audiogalaxy.com
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#20]
The thing with Gnutella and Audio galaxy is that it does not have any brand new stuff. Plus my music taste does not get catered to there. I like mainly club mix dance type music, lil top 40 and they don't have the recent ones. I'll give music city/Morpheus a shot and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:06:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I like Internet Relay Chat. My favorite channel so far is #mp3oldies. You can get just about any tune there, even new songs & some warez.
Anyone know any other good channels?
BTW, my favorite IRC client is mIRC.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
AudioGalaxy works great
-CK
View Quote

I agree. I can't use it because my connection sucks, but at my friends with cable it is great.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use Morpheus (musiccity.com) too.  The coolest thing about Morpheus is if a bunch of people have the same song, it downloads parts of the song from each of them.  This keeps the transfer rate at a constant.  Also, if one drops off-line, Morpheus just finds another user and keeps going.  You can pause, stop and start back up you download at a later time.  Couldn't do that with Napster.  That's one thing I really hated about Napster.  If you got kicked off-line, you had to start your download all over again.

USPC40
View Quote

That doesn't sound like an advantage to me, but correct me if I'm wrong. People record mp3 tracks in a VERY wide variety of recording qualities. If I'm downloading a song, and parts of that song come from more than one person, isn't the quality of the final product subject to being kind of shitty? Some people cut their mp3's short at the end at times, some don't. Some record with a high bit rate, some don't. Why would anyone want a song to be a mixed quality song....or have I missed your point?
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#25]
A note about Morpheus, you probably don't want to use it at work. We've fired a couple people in different call centers for taking the entire center down while downloading songs. These are 4 and 8 T1 centers brought to a grinding halt by one person.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#26]
tvt records.com they have some ok stuff.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That doesn't sound like an advantage to me, but correct me if I'm wrong. People record mp3 tracks in a VERY wide variety of recording qualities. If I'm downloading a song, and parts of that song come from more than one person, isn't the quality of the final product subject to being kind of shitty? Some people cut their mp3's short at the end at times, some don't. Some record with a high bit rate, some don't. Why would anyone want a song to be a mixed quality song....or have I missed your point?
View Quote

Yes you have.  It only downloads parts of the song from those that have the same exact file.  You wont end up with a mixed file.  I suppose it does some sort of checksum to verify that the files are identical.  Every file has a unique checksum.  Kind of like a finger print.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 4:22:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hey I thought the setup was about best proggy to use. (You can kill all the spyware crap with bearshare and its pretty much the same thing as napster so it works for me!)

For simplicity I stick to bearshare.

-- GB
View Quote

Hey GB, which program(s) do you use to get rid of spyware?

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey I thought the setup was about best proggy to use. (You can kill all the spyware crap with bearshare and its pretty much the same thing as napster so it works for me!)

For simplicity I stick to bearshare.

-- GB
View Quote

Hey GB, which program(s) do you use to get rid of spyware?

Tyler
View Quote

Tyler there's a great free program out there called "ad-aware 5.5" that works great. if I can remember the site for it I'll post it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#30]
SPYWARE!! ARRRG.

[url]www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,63806,.html[/url]

I was just about to post a new topic about SPYWARE.  I downloaded Ad Aware 5.5 and ran it.  Amazing.  I had some webhancer crap and some p0rno crap.  All gone now.  I do have Gator for all my site passwords, so I think I'll keep that.

Go to the above link and run it!

I'm posting a new topic on Spyware.  More people should know about it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for leading me to Morpheus.  I downloaded it last night and it is awesome!  Way better than Napster ever was.  I tried Audiogalaxy and it never would let me connect to the server.  That was a pain.  Morpheus had me up and running right away.  The downloads are fast and easy and there are tons of songs and videos out there.  The good stuff.  Not just the garage band garbage that you find on all the MP3 sites.  I was going into MP3 withdrawal, but I feel much better now.  You guys are great!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#32]
[url]imesh.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Tried Bearshare, doesnt seem to work for me.

Installed WinMX, to slow........

Am using Edonkey2000, works like a charm. Fast DL times and a very efficient system. It uses several connections at the same time to build the file you want. i.e. DL a movie and the server connects to 50 other peers to get the job done. Very failsafe.

[url]www.edonkey2000.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top