Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2004 6:19:13 PM EST
Some members her are saying Nascar is rigged, and that its stupid. What do you think?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:20:16 PM EST
I already did

It is rigged and stupid

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:21:06 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:21:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:23:13 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:23:57 PM EST
Rigged how? The only suspicious thing I've seen was when Dale Earnhardt, Jr. won the next race at Daytona after his Dad was killed there. Some drivers claimed a wink and a nod when Little E's team was issued their restrictor plate.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:26:47 PM EST
It was cool when they were real STOCK CARS. Whens the last time you saw a rear wheel drive, V8 Taurus?

I like to watch the road races, too bad there's only like 4 a year. Short track is OK too. It would be much better with out so many restrictions.

All in all, It's stupid.

F1 baby!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:26:57 PM EST
NASCAR sucks. It was ok when it was a "Southern Thing"

If the south agrees to take back NASCAR then we should withdraw all our occupying forces(known by most northern folks as Hockey teams) from the south and call it even.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:30:57 PM EST
I know nothing about it being rigged, and I'm not quite willing to say it's stupid. I can say that the attraction of the thing eludes me completely. To me, watching somebody else drive a car at a high rate of speed speed is like watching a movie of a man you've never met ogling attractive women. I honestly cannot fathom why people watch it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:32:35 PM EST
I quit watching when they started calling Charlotte the "Mecca of speed"

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:33:04 PM EST

NASCAR cares about one thing only, $$$.

They would never jeopardize their ability to rake in $$$ by allowing a team to cheat or rigging races.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:36:16 PM EST
nascar is stupid. but actually being at a race is awesome, biggest party ever.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:37:36 PM EST
Some people say shooting is stupid, but its not.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:38:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By FOX-:

correct, but some people are stupid.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:46:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sierra_Hombre:

correct, but some people are stupid.

wrong. Alot of people are stupid.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:05:20 PM EST
The new rules are stupid. Its more pussified now. And the continuing onslaught of new rules makes it more boring by the day.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:09:26 PM EST

No offense, but in purely linguistic terms (unrelated to the substance of your post), it sounds like you're channeling Imbro.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:11:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:

No offense, but in purely linguistic terms (unrelated to the substance of your post), it sounds like you're channeling Imbro.

WTF is that sopposed to mean? Oh and how you guys holding up in FL?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:18:27 AM EST
Seeing at least one race in person you will have a different perspective than just watching on TV. After that one race you won’t be able to stay away from it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:23:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By DirtyDan:
Seeing at least one race in person you will have a different perspective than just watching on TV. After that one race you won’t be able to stay away from it.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:24:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By PSYWAR1-0:
NASCAR sucks. It was ok when it was a "Southern Thing"

If the south agrees to take back NASCAR then we should withdraw all our occupying forces(known by most northern folks as Hockey teams) from the south and call it even.

Ever seen dirt racing? Theres tons of dirt traks in NC/SC
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:24:19 AM EST
In related fake sports news, rapper P Diddy/Puffy/dicksnorker challenged Hulk Hogan to a match.

"Stop the music," Puff instructed the DJ. "Hulk Hogan is in the mutha----in' house."

"Hey, yo, Hulk," says P Diddy, "Right now, me and you wrestle for a million dollars."

On Saturday Hogan responded to the challenge during MTV's VMA Radio Forum, where radio reporters get a chance to interview the show's performers, presenters and guests.

"I know a million dollars ain't that big of a hit to him," said the Hulkster, who was accompanied by his pop-singer daughter, Brooke. "So if he's gonna get beat up, he might as well make it a hundred million dollars.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:28:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
I don't know about rigged or stupid, but I think it is boring.

+1

I just dont get into it.

Id like to see it with Stock cars.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:31:24 AM EST
I guess I'll be the lone NASCAR supporter thus far...

I like it. I started following it about 10 or 12 years ago. The nearest track is MIS up in Jackson, MI, so I do not get to attend races very often.

It is a distraction from reality like any other professional sport, except that the guys in the sport are not gangster/thug wannabees. Look at the NBA, NFL, and MLB. What do you see? Look at Rudd, Labonte, Wallace, Kenseth, etc... I see guys like me doing what they love to do.

Yeah, restrictor plate stinks. Yeah, rule changes in mid-season stink. Yeah, they are not 'stock cars' anymore.

When I watch a race at Bristol or Darlington, I find it damn entertaining. 43 cars on a 1/2 mile track makes for bumping and beating. Even the restrictor plate races are somewhat entertaining. Different teams trying to find any advantage they can to get a few more HP or less drag.

It is not for everyone. If you do not like it, don't watch.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:31:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By MoparMike:
The new rules are stupid. Its more pussified now. And the continuing onslaught of new rules makes it more boring by the day.

+1

Spending the weekend at the race is an experience not to be missed.
Having said that, It's one of the few sports I'd rather watch on TV. Maybe I need a scanner.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:33:55 AM EST
Not NASCAR but there is a local track that does an iteresting race league. Its called the X-cars. They race around with their hoods up, or with only a flashlight and no other lights. Or last to cross the finish line wins. Then you have the driver blind folded and then there mother in law was in the passager seat telling them where to drive.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:36:17 AM EST
My friend was a pit crew cheif. Need to get him in here to sort this all out....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:39:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By MoparMike:

Nascar became pussified in the mid 60's when they first outlawed the Hemi's and Cammer Fords. It was over after the 1970 season as far as I was concerned.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:40:04 AM EST
I don't like NASCAR as much as I did in the 80's and 90's, when it was a bit closer to it's roots. There's too many whiny ass city boys from the west coast in it today for my tastes. But if it comes down to that or watching foreigners drive around is souped up Go-Carts, then the answer is academic. I'll watch NASCAR. I also like the NHRA. Both are traditional American sports and I think I'll stick to those.

With that said I'm glad September is here and the return of college football begins in earnest today.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:49:21 AM EST

Then you have the driver blind folded and then there mother in law was in the passager seat telling them where to drive.

That could only happen in NC.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:54:19 AM EST
College football sucks.
Unless you are watching it live in the stands.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:08:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
I don't like NASCAR as much as I did in the 80's and 90's, when it was a bit closer to it's roots. There's too many whiny ass city boys from the west coast in it today for my tastes. But if it comes down to that or watching foreigners drive around is souped up Go-Carts, then the answer is academic. I'll watch NASCAR. I also like the NHRA. Both are traditional American sports and I think I'll stick to those.

With that said I'm glad September is here and the return of college football begins in earnest today.

The *new Nascar* (Now with 400% more drama!) is rapidly becoming a contrived, WWF-ish cartoon of its former self. Cars now reflect damn little of the manufacturers' Engineering prowess, rather being little more than decal-clad. common template aero-blobs with artifically dictated equality to "keep the racing close and exciting"

It is PC racing at it's worst (we want ALL manufacturers to be winners! that's why we change the spoiler heights & templates every other race!)

Then they throw in the playoff horseshit to "create excitement" at the end of the season (translation - network execs are running roughshod over Brian France, who got his job because his diddy had it, not because of competence) and you are seeing long-time fans leave in droves, being replaced by newer short-attention span fans who next year will be following the Coors World boogie board tour (or wherever the babes are congregating)

Look for the last of the old guard (Jarrett, R. Wallace, T. Labonte, Martin & Rudd) to throw in the towel on the sham that the sport has become. It may be entertainment, but it ain't stock car racing.

(and I didn't even go into the wall to wall commercials (interrupted only by snippets of racing) that Fox & NBC/TNT provide - anyone who remembers the intelligent coverage that ESPN used to provide knows precisely what I am talking about)
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:24:55 AM EST
I think football, baseball, basketball, etc. sucks. So I never watch them. But I always watch NASCAR Winston Cup Nextel Cup racing and sometimes Busch races. I don't always agree with all the changes that NASCAR makes but then neither do a lot of the drivers. Some are done for saftey and others done for more $$$. As far as races being fixed...thats a bunch of crap. NASCAR keeps a very close eye on things like that to keep it from happening. Race winners cars, and others too, are impounded and gone thru after the race to insure everything was right. Not to mention the inspections done before each race. There has been guys caught trying to get by with things like mods to the engine and body or whatever with huge fines put on them. I watch all the races and if I'm out I listen to it on the radio in the car or truck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:33:46 AM EST
the old Nascar used to be great (to go to and to listen to while driving) - now it's a sea of relentless commercials and timeouts for sensitivity training for irate drivers (would Cale have put up with that? I don't think so) the current girlie drivers leave the big red trailer with their tails between their legs. Harvick didn't drive for shit after he got spanked and had to sit out a few years back. Stewart is the only one with the cajones (and the open wheel talent) to tell Na$car to shove it, but his golden handcuffs (sponsoring $$$) are too tight.

As soon as the west coast TV guys got involved and little France put in charge the sport started going down the shitter in a hurry. It's losing it;s character too thanks to cookie-cutter quad ovals, while the quirky tracks (Rockingham, N. Wilkesboro, Darlington) get squeezed out.

Na$car is shitting on the fans that made them what they are, ya dance with the one that brung ya, and apparantly Bill France didn't teach that to shithead.

too bad too, it was a hell of a lot of fun while it lasted.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:42:31 AM EST
I'll second the ESPN coverage comments. They were the best in the business with coverage. There was never a team who was as good as Bob Jenkins, Benny Parsons and Ned Jarrett with Dr. Jerry Punch in the pits. That was the best damn tv crew I ever saw in NASCAR. A close second would have been CBS in the early 90's with Ned Jarrett, Neil Bonnett and Ken Squier.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:54:28 AM EST
boy I miss them (except maybe Squier who, at age 800, is suffering from "Dale Jarrett syndrome" and regularly rambles incoherently for hours at a time) they really set the standard.

Fox is a disaster with stick & ball guy Chris Myers (who after several years is STILL utterly clueless about racing) and grating bimbo Jeannie Zelasko (for Pete's sake, if we have to listen to an airhead reporting from the pits, at least get a looker with big hooters)

The best things left at a race are the parties, flyovers and babes (although there are some evil creatures about that would make one gouge his eyes out)

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:32:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:

WTF is that sopposed to mean? Oh and how you guys holding up in FL?

Nothing. Just an observation. "Some people say shooting is stupid, but it's not" reminded me structurally of some of Imbro's oddball stuff like maybe "I have seen many people enjoy the salad bar," or "There are those who eat calamari. I do not."

It looks like we'll get rain up here in the far north, but nothing too bad.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:47:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By CYBIN:
It was cool when they were real STOCK CARS. Whens the last time you saw a rear wheel drive, V8 Taurus?

I like to watch the road races, too bad there's only like 4 a year. Short track is OK too. It would be much better with out so many restrictions.

All in all, It's stupid.

F1 baby!

F1? Would that not be the racing where there are only two cars on the lead lap at the end of the race? If you bump another car, your car falls apart?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:18:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By ar10er:

F1? Would that not be the racing where there are only two cars on the lead lap at the end of the race? If you bump another car, your car falls apart?

You can still rub in F1, but is it really racing when all you are doing is following Michael Shumacher around the track? 12 wins in 14 races in a series that doesn't have enough drivers to fill half a NASCAR field.

NASCAR needs to knock the cookie cutter car $hit off, or just start issuing cars. I'm not a Gordon fan, but if Henrick can build a car to lap the field, I'd rather see that, than what we have now.

To that end, I propose a new rule change, everybody qualifies their car, then all of the numbers of the qualified car go in a hat, then the driver draws a number, and that's his car, and starting position for the race. Can you imagine the battle royale after Spencer drives the 20 car into the wall on the first lap?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:22:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By Stryfe:

Originally Posted By ar10er:

You can still rub in F1, but is it really racing when all you are doing is following Michael Shumacher around the track? 12 wins in 14 races in a series that doesn't have enough drivers to fill half a NASCAR field.

NASCAR needs to knock the cookie cutter car $hit off, or just start issuing cars. I'm not a Gordon fan, but if Henrick can build a car to lap the field, I'd rather see that, than what we have now.

To that end, I propose a new rule change, everybody qualifies their car, then all of the numbers of the qualified car go in a hat, then the driver draws a number, and that's his car, and starting position for the race. Can you imagine the battle royale after Spencer drives the 20 car into the wall on the first lap?

I would like to see them get rid of the restrictor plates, and a few other rules, but aircraft racing on the ground is not my style, which is how I view F1.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:28:43 AM EST
F1 is a drag race from the starting grid to the first turn, after which it's follow the Schumacher leader.

Oh yeah, look for Toyota to be in Winston whoever will give us money Cup racing by '06. Expect Nissan to follow (vive la France! Fockers!)

Spencer may be a wreck waiting to happen, but he's one of the few drivers who will openly speak their minds, unlike the majority of "team player" pussies, where everything is wonderful, the car was awesome, the team was awesome, the motor was awesome, the tires were awesome, the owner was awesome, the sponsors were awesome, the fans were awesome, etc. etc. Just once I'd like to hear a driver say "I fucked up and drove the car into the garage wall" or "the crackheads in the engine shop gave me a wonderful grenade today" but nooooooooooo, everything is womderful in the new age feel-good era of Nascar! Next thing they'll replace the anthem before each race with a giant stadium hug. Awwwwwwww, won't that be special? [projectile_vomit]

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:03:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By Merrell:
Just once I'd like to hear a driver say "I fucked up and drove the car into the garage wall"

You're not listening hard past the interviews with the top three finishers. I loved Ryan Newmans, "lack of talent" comment after missing the entrance to pit row earlier this season, and I've heard it from a lot of other drivers as well. You just never hear them say anything bad about any of the other team members.

"the crackheads in the engine shop gave me a wonderful grenade today"

I'd have become and immediate Gordon fan if he'd said that after the June race in Michigan.

Jesus made me fumble.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:06:35 AM EST
you NEVER HEAR any interviews beyond the top 3 finishers because the instant the race is over, TNT switches immediately to "the Shawshank Redemption*"

*already in progress

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:24:07 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:06:35 AM EST

Isn't that why we have IROC?

I have actually seen this done at a small 1/2 mile bullring in Texas. It was a hoot. I said the same thing while sitting in the middle of a section of nothing but Gordon fans at TMS several years ago. They were ragging on Spencer and I said he was just as good as Jeffie Poo if he had his equipment. You would have thought I had slapped the Pope. Spencer finished that day, Jeffie didn't. Go figure.

As NASCAR gets farther and farther from it's Southern roots you will see the "sport" die. They haven't banned the Stars and Bars from the camping areas yet but that day is coming. Have you seen one on camera inside any track in the last 4 or 5 years? Dale Jr has made some comments about the flag and the people who fly it saying that they didn't know what it stood for.

Dale Sr was one of if not the last to stand up for what NASCAR used to be. When the old hands of today are gone the sport will suffer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:19:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/4/2004 4:15:26 PM EST by tcsd1236]
I have worked at Watkins Glen almost every year since I was 15, in one capacity or another, back when they were running Formula 1 there. Its a good experience, especially when with a group of friends, and most folks behave themselves; been a long time since they burned any Greyhounds in the Bog.
I am not a big NASCAR fan per se, but I would rather go to a race then , say, a golf tournament; THAT is boredom !
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:59:23 AM EST
Look for Nascar to dump the Glen (if they have not already scratched it from next year's schedule) in favor of a larger seating (including luxury boxes) venue closer to a higher population area (why else would they be considering Staten Island for a new track?)

The good old boys went racing for fun and to make a few bucks, the new corporate Na$car is SOLELY about profit - the racing might as well be a contrived Las Vegas sideshow.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:07:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/5/2004 12:13:32 AM EST by trashiestzero]
Nascar

Does not suck, I worked the pits changing the front tires. For a few cars in the 70's back when it would take 200 mph to make the race.

It's not rigged, You just cheat tweaking the car untill you are caught.

I was there when petty won his 200 race, He won by having his motor 13 cubic inches larger than the rest of the cars. But hey he won that's what it's all about.

Don't watch this on tv untill you have been to a race, and seen the speed and heard the power of a 358 cubic inch motor roar and shake the ground you sit on.

I got to drive one once, the car made me feel I was going to slide off the track at any time.

Jeff Gordon is the only thing rigged about nascar.

Not a southern thing anymore, You yanks are building new trackes every year, Now all the racing is moving north or out west.

RACING of any kind kicks ass.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:14:10 AM EST
You don't watch it fo the raceing you watch it for the crashes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:28:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By Kodiak-AK:
You don't watch it fo the raceing you watch it for the crashes.

That's the best part, crashes.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:16:11 AM EST
Someday Ferrari and Schumacher will no longer dominate F1. Until then, motorcycle racing is the purest of motorsport.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top