Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 7:28:50 AM EDT
He's 12 years old and a very typical boy. He loves the outdoors, loves playing sports, and wants us to spend all of our time together fishing when the weather is good (I have partial custody and see him and his sister at elast a couple days a week).

He doesn't really enjoy reading or writing, but is a wizz at math and science.  This is important because he told me yesterday that they had a writing assignment in class and he was proud because he had written twice as much as the minimum requirement.

What was cool was that the toipic was "Do you think peple should have the right to keep and bear arms?" he's in 6th grade and this is their first class exposure to the Constitution.

Without any prompting from me (we've never sat down and had this discussion; he just goes shooting with me every now and then (Mom isn't an active anti, but doesn't really get it) and knows I own a fair number of guns; he has his own rilfes in my safe), he came up with the right answers to the question. Basically he said that people needed to be right to be ready and able to protect themselves and used the looting in NO as his example. He then went further to say that while the military is tied up in foreign excursions, every person needed to be ready to come to the defense of the country! I have never discussed anything of this nature with him (just the usual "everyone is responsible for their own actions" discussions).

I told him how proud I was with his answers and to be sure to let me know what the response from the teachers was.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep him!
Good kid!
Buy him another gun!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#2]
You need a pat on the back for being a good dad and he needs an extra special treat next visit for being a great kid.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy him an arfcom membership!

That's cool.

I hope to have a father-son relationship like that if I become a father.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#4]
tag for grade and reply from teacher

BTW, tell him he did good.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He's 12 years old and a very typical boy. He loves the outdoors, loves playing sports, and wants us to spend all of our time together fishing when the weather is good (I have partial custody and see him and his sister at elast a couple days a week).

He doesn't really enjoy reading or writing, but is a wizz at math and science.  This is important because he told me yesterday that they had a writing assignment in class and he was proud because he had written twice as much as the minimum requirement.

What was cool was that the toipic was "Do you think peple should have the right to keep and bear arms?" he's in 6th grade and this is their first class exposure to the Constitution.

Without any prompting from me (we've never sat down and had this discussion; he just goes shooting with me every now and then (Mom isn't an active anti, but doesn't really get it) and knows I own a fair number of guns; he has his own rilfes in my safe), he came up with the right answers to the question. Basically he said that people needed to be right to be ready and able to protect themselves and used the looting in NO as his example. He then went further to say that while the military is tied up in foreign excursions, every person needed to be ready to come to the defense of the country! I have never discussed anything of this nature with him (just the usual "everyone is responsible for their own actions" discussions).

I told him how proud I was with his answers and to be sure to let me know what the response from the teachers was.

Kudos to you dad.  Those kind of thought processes don't happen by accident.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#8]
He will get an F and get suspended after Disturbing DRAWINGS surface attributed to him...

I'm just paranoid.

Good job! Get that kid an AR!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Give him a beer.  J/K I kid I kid sheesh.

Outstanding job raising that boy.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#10]
He's a keeper!

Sadly, if he utters those words in the liberal cesspools known as Colleges these days, he'll probably get a less than stellar grade....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
He will get an F and get suspended after Disturbing DRAWINGS surface attributed to him...

I'm just paranoid.

You're not paranoid if they're REALLY out to get you.

David, Good job!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#12]
the United States of America still has a strong future with youngsters like your son.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Keep him!
Good kid!
Buy him another gun!

+1
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Got him a CZ 452 to replace his Crickett. And he gets one of the M16's when he's older.

And no, I'm not adopting any of you
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn, I didn't get it until I was 18.5.

He's a MAN ahead of his time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Tagged for the teacher's reply.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome!  Your son deserves a new gun for his efforts, and you should treat yourself to one as well, as a reward for raising such a great boy!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Basically he said that people needed to be right to be ready and able to protect themselves and used the looting in NO as his example. He then went further to say that while the military is tied up in foreign excursions, every person needed to be ready to come to the defense of the country!

I agree with that 100%, they're valid reasons to own a gun, but ultimately, one doesn't need a reason to own a gun nor justification for owning one.   You can start getting into arguements like why should somebody own a hunting rifle if they're not a hunter, etc.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Man, good for him.

You must be very proud.
and of course, I can't wait to hear what his teacher has to say about that as well.........
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats on the very bright young man there DavidC!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top