Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Previous Page
/ 4
Next Page
4/27/2015 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quote History
Quoted:
I've got a jar of ash from the eruption.  Collected in Spokane a few days after the event.  Some 260 miles ENE of the mountain.  I use it as a paper weight on my desk.  It's fun to shake up and watch the ash settle.
View Quote


I had one too.
Until my son turned it into mud.
4/27/2015 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quote History
Quoted:


I just read the "18 volcanoes" article.



I've never been there (that I'm aware of) so does anyone know what direction that picture is taken from of Crater Lake?
View Quote


Here's Crater Lake Lodge. You can see the island (Wizard island) on the left so looking at the other pic it's directly across from it on the other side. You can click on the link and it will give you an idea of which side its facing.

http://www.willhiteweb.com/crater_lake_national_park/crater_lake_map.jpg










 
4/27/2015 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I went there this weekend.

There are countless dry riverbeds, all filled with black, jagged rocks.
4/27/2015 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]


Quote History
Quoted:
The wood swamp guys wet dream


 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:





Quoted:




Quoted:


Me at Spirit lake a couple years ago.





http://i.imgur.com/18uwOIr.jpg






Amazing.



The wood swamp guys wet dream


 



One problem with the logs is the pumas embedded in them would wreck havoc on saw blades. Once you got past that than you'd have some nice logs.





Also in the sloughs along the Columbia River, the Loggers would float their logs to the mills. I'm sure the bottoms of those are full of logs from 100 years ago to now. That shit would be priceless.





Ed



eta; I used to cut a lot of wood
 
4/27/2015 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just read the "18 volcanoes" article.

I've never been there (that I'm aware of) so does anyone know what direction that picture is taken from of Crater Lake?

Here's Crater Lake Lodge. You can see the island (Wizard island) on the left so looking at the other pic it's directly across from it on the other side. You can click on the link and it will give you an idea of which side its facing.
http://www.willhiteweb.com/crater_lake_national_park/crater_lake_map.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1192417/images/o-CRATER-LAKE-LODGE-facebook.jpg


http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/5410730c6bb3f7d770123b2a-1200/crater-lake-caldera-in-oregon-was-formed-when-a-volcano-named-mount-mazama-erupted-violently-7700-years-ago-the-interaction-between-magma-and-water-is-likely-to-produce-explosive-eruptions-in-the-future.jpg


 


That last pic is great.
4/27/2015 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Quoted:
Wonder how many Bigfeets dies in that eruption.
View Quote

Bigfoot has too much common sense, he booked days before the major eruption........
4/27/2015 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Quoted:
I've got a jar of ash from the eruption.  Collected in Spokane a few days after the event.  Some 260 miles ENE of the mountain.  I use it as a paper weight on my desk.  It's fun to shake up and watch the ash settle.
View Quote


I have a jar as well
4/27/2015 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a nice little fizzle...











4/27/2015 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Quoted:

Two entirely different magma types. Hawaiian volcanoes expel very low viscosity, low gas content basalt lavas while those underlying Yellowstone are high viscosity, high gas content types. The longer the caldera charge cycle takes, the more gas (pressure) buildup can occur. When the magma is finally vented to the surface it'll explosively decompress and produce Plinian-style eruptions. That is, vertical ash columns, pyroclastic flows and a shit-load of tephra whose overall ejected volume is dependent on the size of the magma chamber supplying the system.

In Yellowstone's case, nothing about a ring-fracturing eruption will be considered "low energy".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just because the Yellowstone caldera is big doesn't mean that the eruption will be the end of the world. You never know with volcanic shit. It MIGHT kill us all, or it might just act like Hawaii...constant low energy gushing eruption for decades.

Two entirely different magma types. Hawaiian volcanoes expel very low viscosity, low gas content basalt lavas while those underlying Yellowstone are high viscosity, high gas content types. The longer the caldera charge cycle takes, the more gas (pressure) buildup can occur. When the magma is finally vented to the surface it'll explosively decompress and produce Plinian-style eruptions. That is, vertical ash columns, pyroclastic flows and a shit-load of tephra whose overall ejected volume is dependent on the size of the magma chamber supplying the system.

In Yellowstone's case, nothing about a ring-fracturing eruption will be considered "low energy".


is it named after the roman who witnessed and described the pompei destruction ?
4/28/2015 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quote History
Quoted:


is it named after the roman who witnessed and described the pompei destruction ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just because the Yellowstone caldera is big doesn't mean that the eruption will be the end of the world. You never know with volcanic shit. It MIGHT kill us all, or it might just act like Hawaii...constant low energy gushing eruption for decades.

Two entirely different magma types. Hawaiian volcanoes expel very low viscosity, low gas content basalt lavas while those underlying Yellowstone are high viscosity, high gas content types. The longer the caldera charge cycle takes, the more gas (pressure) buildup can occur. When the magma is finally vented to the surface it'll explosively decompress and produce Plinian-style eruptions. That is, vertical ash columns, pyroclastic flows and a shit-load of tephra whose overall ejected volume is dependent on the size of the magma chamber supplying the system.

In Yellowstone's case, nothing about a ring-fracturing eruption will be considered "low energy".


is it named after the roman who witnessed and described the pompei destruction ?

.
Yes. Pliny the Younger. Google it.
4/28/2015 2:04:09 AM EDT
[#11]


Now look up the Toba super-eruption...St. Helens ejected about one cubic mile of ash.

Toba ejected 200 cubic miles of it.

That's 3 times the size of the latest Yellowstone eruption.

That eruption almost wiped out the human race about 75,000 years ago.
4/28/2015 2:14:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Some pics of the crater.

























Large pic.

http://www.mountsthelens.com/files/8-15-2012-msh-11-6x4b.jpg
4/28/2015 3:01:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I took this picture in 2006 or so.

























 
4/28/2015 3:05:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quote History
Quoted:Two entirely different magma types. Hawaiian volcanoes expel very low viscosity, low gas content basalt lavas while those underlying Yellowstone are high viscosity, high gas content types. The longer the caldera charge cycle takes, the more gas (pressure) buildup can occur. When the magma is finally vented to the surface it'll explosively decompress and produce Plinian-style eruptions. That is, vertical ash columns, pyroclastic flows and a shit-load of tephra whose overall ejected volume is dependent on the size of the magma chamber supplying the system.

In Yellowstone's case, nothing about a ring-fracturing eruption will be considered "low energy".
View Quote


It's about time you wily scientists finally found something you know with absolute certainty. Bravo!
4/28/2015 3:12:06 AM EDT
[#15]
One of the crazy things that boogles my mind is when I read that "18 volcanoes"bis seeing the pictures of ones that erupted 1,300 and 2,000 years ago and the one 7,000 years ago!!! How there still is those white lines and that clear cut circle of ZERO life even THOUSANDS of years later!!!!! It makes you think about how fragile(NOT INSIGNIFICANT) life is
4/29/2015 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quote History
Quoted:





One problem with the logs is the pumas embedded in them would wreck havoc on saw blades. Once you got past that than you'd have some nice logs.



Also in the sloughs along the Columbia River, the Loggers would float their logs to the mills. I'm sure the bottoms of those are full of logs from 100 years ago to now. That shit would be priceless.



Ed



eta; I used to cut a lot of wood





 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:



Quoted:


Quoted:


Quoted:

Me at Spirit lake a couple years ago.



http://i.imgur.com/18uwOIr.jpg




Amazing.


The wood swamp guys wet dream

 


One problem with the logs is the pumas embedded in them would wreck havoc on saw blades. Once you got past that than you'd have some nice logs.



Also in the sloughs along the Columbia River, the Loggers would float their logs to the mills. I'm sure the bottoms of those are full of logs from 100 years ago to now. That shit would be priceless.



Ed



eta; I used to cut a lot of wood





 

I had several friends that sawed salvage timber in the St. Helens blast zone. They were going through 2 to 3 chains a day, each. They had to wear masks too.


A lot of the timber they were cutting was old growth that had been knocked down by the blast. I was told they had to clear a 'girdle' on the logs of any bark with a hatchet first - then sweep it clean with a broom, before they fired up their saws, in an effort to remove as much of the silica as they could. They still went through that many chains.


They made a ton of dough, but it sounded like a bunch of extra work.



 

4/29/2015 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quote History
Quoted:
That's alot of missing rock.
View Quote

4/29/2015 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quote History
Quoted:
Melted dashboard about 8 miles north of Mt. St. Helens shows the intense heat that far away from the core eruption.


http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/e8/e7/e8e7dcd5a30e79a82d99cc46c2649e30.jpg?itok=uXQr1-Fd
View Quote


'71 Chevrolet pickup.
4/29/2015 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quote History
Quoted:
That last pic is great.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:



Quoted:


Quoted:

I just read the "18 volcanoes" article.



I've never been there (that I'm aware of) so does anyone know what direction that picture is taken from of Crater Lake?


Here's Crater Lake Lodge. You can see the island (Wizard island) on the left so looking at the other pic it's directly across from it on the other side. You can click on the link and it will give you an idea of which side its facing.

http://www.willhiteweb.com/crater_lake_national_park/crater_lake_map.jpg



http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1192417/images/o-CRATER-LAKE-LODGE-facebook.jpg





http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/5410730c6bb3f7d770123b2a-1200/crater-lake-caldera-in-oregon-was-formed-when-a-volcano-named-mount-mazama-erupted-violently-7700-years-ago-the-interaction-between-magma-and-water-is-likely-to-produce-explosive-eruptions-in-the-future.jpg





 




That last pic is great.



It's deep too. I think the deepest part is around 1900ft or so.



 
4/29/2015 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quote History
Quoted:
Was equal to about a 24 megaton bomb going off.

This crazy rock slab in the crater was growing @4-5ft everyday as was estimated at about 400+ft tall.

https://symonsez.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/sthelensrockslab.jpg



http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060504/060504_sthelens_hmed_5p.grid-6x2.jpg


4-5' a day damn. Scientist will estimate it took 100million years to form
Harry Truman is still entombed at his lodge 150ft below debri.

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/wastate&CISOPTR=1423&DMSCALE=100.00000&DMWIDTH=800&DMHEIGHT=517.70833333333&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&REC=1&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0




http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Sthelensharrytruman.jpg
View Quote

4/29/2015 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's alot of missing rock.



The rock is still there it's just spread all over Washington State. Mostly in powder form.
4/29/2015 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quote History
Quoted:


I've got a jar of ash from the eruption.  Collected in Spokane a few days after the event.  Some 260 miles ENE of the mountain.  I use it as a paper weight on my desk.  It's fun to shake up and watch the ash settle.
View Quote
I have one too...  Need to find it.

 
4/29/2015 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quote History
Quoted:
My brother was in Spokane.  After a foot of Ashe fell, he packed his kit and said "You can all go to hell, I am going to Texas."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:



Quoted:

I've got a jar of ash from the eruption.  Collected in Spokane a few days after the event.  Some 260 miles ENE of the mountain.  I use it as a paper weight on my desk.  It's fun to shake up and watch the ash settle.




My brother was in Spokane.  After a foot of Ashe fell, he packed his kit and said "You can all go to hell, I am going to Texas."




 
meh, same dif.  
4/29/2015 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quote History
Quoted:
You guys are NOT making me feel any better about the Yellowstone caldera.
View Quote

Don't worry, you're in . . . uh, nevermind.  Really nice weather lately, huh?  
4/29/2015 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are NOT making me feel any better about the Yellowstone caldera.
View Quote

  1 in 700,000 chance
View Quote


This should put your mind at ease...

Here's a nice pic of how the ash settled from Mt St Helens versus a few other volcanos in the area.  For comparison.

4/29/2015 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Some pics from the recent eruption in Chile.





























 
4/29/2015 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow that eruption induced lightning is pretty wild looking!
4/29/2015 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Mt. St. Helens Volcano Cam
4/29/2015 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quote History
Quoted:


Wow that eruption induced lightning is pretty wild looking!
View Quote
Forrest fires do that too.



 
4/29/2015 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quote History
Quoted:


Wow that eruption induced lightning is pretty wild looking!
View Quote


You can listen to some of it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxjEnTM7Cw



 
4/29/2015 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quote History
Quoted:



I flew over it a couple of days after the eruption,pretty impressive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took a PSA flight from SFO to Sea-Tac about a month after the eruption. The pilot took a couple of steep orbits over the caldera, one for each side of the plane.   It was like looking at the surface of the moon. Unbelievable.



I flew over it a couple of days after the eruption,pretty impressive.



Flew over in what with the ash in the air?
4/29/2015 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#32]
If you get a chance to climb it, do it. One of the best hikes I've ever done.
4/29/2015 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Quoted:
I played out in the falling ash that day.
View Quote



Happy Fibrosis of the lungs day.
4/29/2015 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quote History
Quoted:
If Yellowstone went off the whole world would be fucked, not just a corner of WA.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are NOT making me feel any better about the Yellowstone caldera.



Naw.  Yellowstone will make Mt. St. Helens look like a little misfire.  Not even near the same orders of magnitude.

If Yellowstone went off the whole world would be fucked, not just a corner of WA.  



Will that affect 22lr availability?
4/29/2015 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quote History
Quoted:

It's deep too. I think the deepest part is around 1900ft or so.

 
View Quote


1943 feet and the deepest lake in the US, and 7th deepest in the world.



THAT would have been an eruption to see. Not to mention the caldera collapse. I don't think there have been any notable caldera formations in modern times, but it must surely be an impressive event - especially when on the scale of what happened at Mt Mazama or Yellowstone. I think the closest we are likely to get to witnessing a collapse is going to be the much calmer events that happen in Hawaii, like this video I found hosted at WSJ from the crater floor collapse at Kilauea.



4/29/2015 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quote History
Quoted:


The rock is still there it's just spread all over Washington State. Mostly in powder form.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's alot of missing rock.



The rock is still there it's just spread all over Washington State. Mostly in powder form.


A surprising amount of it ended up downhill; there was a massive landslide that appeared to trigger the eruption.

go to 1:10 for landslide
4/29/2015 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quote History
Quoted:
You guys are NOT making me feel any better about the Yellowstone caldera.
View Quote





0:55!
4/29/2015 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quote History
Quoted:
Healing:
View Quote

Supposedly the area was to be devistated, especially spirit lake, for the next 100yrs. Funny how fast nature recovers.
4/29/2015 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quote History
Quoted:





1943 feet and the deepest lake in the US, and 7th deepest in the world.



THAT would have been an eruption to see. Not to mention the caldera collapse. I don't think there have been any notable caldera formations in modern times, but it must surely be an impressive event - especially when on the scale of what happened at Mt Mazama or Yellowstone. I think the closest we are likely to get to witnessing a collapse is going to be the much calmer events that happen in Hawaii, like this video I found hosted at WSJ from the crater floor collapse at Kilauea.



View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:



Quoted:

It's deep too. I think the deepest part is around 1900ft or so.

 


1943 feet and the deepest lake in the US, and 7th deepest in the world.



THAT would have been an eruption to see. Not to mention the caldera collapse. I don't think there have been any notable caldera formations in modern times, but it must surely be an impressive event - especially when on the scale of what happened at Mt Mazama or Yellowstone. I think the closest we are likely to get to witnessing a collapse is going to be the much calmer events that happen in Hawaii, like this video I found hosted at WSJ from the crater floor collapse at Kilauea.







Yea I can't imagine how spectacular it would be with 1900 ft of water suddenly collapsing onto the magma chamber. Would be a more explosive event then Mount St Helens for sure.









 
4/29/2015 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#40]



       



Mt. St. Helens by depercy, on Flickr
































Life Returns by depercy, on Flickr
















Miner's Car by depercy, on Flickr





Spirit Lake by depercy, on Flickr




















 
 
 
 
 
 
4/29/2015 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quote History
Quoted:

You can listen to some of it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxjEnTM7Cw
 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow that eruption induced lightning is pretty wild looking!

You can listen to some of it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxjEnTM7Cw
 

The Smiling Skull at 1:32 or so is spooky!
Flames, plumes, seem to make faces appear.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 4
Next Page