Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 2:28:13 PM EDT

Checked out an old ferry crossing this past weekend and dug up an 1850'ish brass powder flask.

Here's what a similar original looked like

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats cool. I just got a metal detector for Christmas. Cant wait till the ground thaws here and put it to use.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
What did you get?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool! I'd love to get into that hobby.

The wife's parents have a 100+ acre farm in Ireland I'll detect someday.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont remember the brand name, it was mail ordered by someone else for me. I can check it when I get home. Kind of an unexpected present.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I dont remember the brand name, it was mail ordered by someone else for me. I can check it when I get home. Kind of an unexpected present.

New York ought to have some great spots to go detecting.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Especially this part of NY, Buffalo area along Lake Erie, lots of beachfront to comb looking for stuff.

The model I have is called a Fastracker.

Whats the best thing you ever located?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Especially this part of NY, Buffalo area along Lake Erie, lots of beachfront to comb looking for stuff.

The model I have is called a Fastracker.

Whats the best thing you ever located?

Another cool place would be along Lake Ontario, near Fort Niagara. I'm not sure, but they may frown on a metal detector, though, as some of the land is a State park. I have found some interesting stuff washed ashore, however. They did have a lot of naval battles there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#9]

I've been thinking for a while about buying a good metal detector then hitting up the training areas of the nearby National Guard base.  I have  a feeling it would be like Christmas in the summer.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey, you never know. Last year someone left an SA-80 in the Brecon Beacons.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey, you never know. Last year someone left an SA-80 in the Brecon Beacons.

My old platoon sergeant found a ton of linked 5.56mm at a training site we stopped at last AT.  I don't know how much he found but it was enough to fill two sandbags up.  Soldiers get tired of carrying stuff, or don't pay attention when they move out, and there you have it.  Free Army stuff.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#12]
sell it on Ebay!!!!

just kidding. cool find. i wish cool things would happen to me sometimes. the best "find" i ever had was last summer, out on an island on the St Croix river thats been a good party spot since the beginning of partying... i noticed an OLD Hamm's bottle opener sticking out of the sand.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#13]
My pop's found a lot of cool things on the  beach.  Gold chains, one with medalians, plenty of rings, including one NICE engagement ring which he found the owner of, some watches, providing me with a citizen dive watch, old coins.  Mostly on a beach you dig up junk and costume jewelry, but every once in a while you get good stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top