Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2001 8:14:43 PM EDT
Any of you have any big plans for 10 November?

My wife and I and a few other couples are going to Pappas Brother's Steak House and throw down on some beef and vino in honor of the 226th birthday of my beloved Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have to get up early
on the 11th
for the VFW pistol shoot
which is usually held on the
Sunday closest to Veterans Day.
(Army vs Navy vs Marine Corps vs Airforce
- losing team buys the beer and food.
Winning team picks next years
course of fire and gets to brag a lot[:)])

This could be a bad year for the Marine
team.
(We won last year
despite having the highest
number of hostage target hits [:O]
so this year = no hostage targets [:)])

Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be loading up for the last club DCM match of this year.

I'll try to put one in the X ring for Chesty.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing big planned.  Might just go out and blow a few hundred rounds.  Wife will be at work, so might have to teach the kids their general orders. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
..., so might have to teach the kids their general orders. [:D]
View Quote

LOL!! How could I have overlooked that in their upbringing?
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking about taking the the [s]Commandant[/s] Wife to Loughran's for a Black and Tan, followed by the peppercorn pork tenderloin, and another black and Tan!
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
a few of us will probably head north to the vfw and toast the corps for a few
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]

[url]http://www.pos.net/Marine/genord.html[/url]

United States Marine Corps
General Orders for Sentries

GENERAL ORDER 1:
To take charge of this post and all government property in view.
GENERAL ORDER 2:
To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
GENERAL ORDER 3:
To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
GENERAL ORDER 4:
To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guardhouse than my own.
GENERAL ORDER 5:
To quit my post only when properly relieved.
GENERAL ORDER 6:
To receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry who relieves me all orders from the Commanding Officer, Officer of the Day, and Officers and Noncommissioned Officers of the Guard only.
GENERAL ORDER 7:
To talk to no one except in the line of duty.
GENERAL ORDER 8:
To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
GENERAL ORDER 9:
To call the Corporal of the Guard in any case not covered by instructions.
GENERAL ORDER 10:
To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.
GENERAL ORDER 11:
To be especially watchful at night and during the time for challenging, to challenge
all persons on or near my post, and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And for those that don't remember.....
The Unauthorized General Orders
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GENERAL ORDER 12:
To walk my post from flank to flank and take no shit from any rank.
View Quote

Actually, I'm thinking that my kids really should learn this! It would solve a lot of their day to day problems!
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Going to fly to Vegas that day, and take the wife out to dinner when I get back.

SEMPER FI!
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:16:24 AM EDT
[#10]
We always fly the USMC flag that week outside our house.  My better half thinks I'm nuts most of the time.  She doesn't understand the "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" thing.  I think that's definately what sets the USMC apart from the other branches.  I ran into a Private in town yesterday wearing a bare khaki shirt and the blue trousers (Deltas).  Had to strike up a conversation.  Kid just graduated from 3rd Bn India Co.  from Parris Island and is on leave before going to MCT.  It brought back memories of that feeling I got marching across the grinder with sand fleas flying in and out of my nose (not a flinch) and the pride I felt with the words "Platoon 3029... dismissed".  Don't mean to chat the soapbox guys, But I am really proud to have written my little part in the history of our beloved Corps, and wish all of you a "Happy Birthday".

Semper Fidelis
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#12]
getting ready for a hign power match on the 11th. last of the year. been holding that black rifle for 30 years. the longest lasting friendship i have. celebrated with steak and cake in a bunker in beirut in 1983. best birthday i ever had. happy birthday and god bless our marine corps.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I will be away for the weekend with my family but yes I will do something special to celebrate the birthday.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[s]commandant[/s]!
View Quote

Bwaahaahaahaahaa! If they only knew...

[b][size=4]God Bless the United States of America, and success to The Corps![/b][/size=4]
View Quote

(Glass raised)[b][size=4]To The Corps!![/b][/size=4]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll be in New York City that day. Will try to catch up to Waverunner for one meal or another depending upon his schedule.

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Will be going to Arlington Ridge (Arlington, VA) to hear the Commandant of the Marine Corps speak for the B-day celebration and wreath-laying at the the Marine Corps Memorial. I'm taking the DV camera and will post pics soon after.

Semper Fi

Bulldog OUT

Cpl 2531 '85-'91
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Will be going to Arlington Ridge (Arlington, VA) to hear the Commandant of the Marine Corps speak for the B-day celebration and wreath-laying at the the Marine Corps Memorial. I'm taking the DV camera and will post pics soon after.
View Quote

You'll be about three miles from where my Mom lives (Alexandria, VA) and about 300 meters from where my wife and I were married (the old chapel at Fort Myer.)
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll do like I've done every year in the past... I'll round up my buddies, head to the bar and drink Vodka until I can't walk.  Then I'll stagger home, sleep it off then wake up the following morning wondering who the chick is sleeping next to me and what I plan on telling my girlfriend.

:)
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll be about three miles from where my Mom lives (Alexandria, VA) and about 300 meters from where my wife and I were married (the old chapel at Fort Myer.)
View Quote

Cool! I just got married 2 weeks ago on the Cherry Blossom (paddle wheel boat) in Old Town Alex!!

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Semper Fi Marines and Happy Birthday!  A little note to remember when celebrating the great Nov. 10th.  

If she offers her honor,
Then honor her offer...
And all night long, get on her and off her.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Happy Birthday Marines!

Semper Fi!
[marines]
Lew Tippie
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I will be making some phone calls and having a cookout and getting drunk with another Marine "no longer on active duty".

Happy Birthday Marines!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#23]
We had our ball on the 7th 3/2 ended at midnight, then had to come in the next day at 0600 for the 2nd Marine Division run. Man what a ball buster. Good thing the general didn't run fast or far.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#24]
TreeFrog
Know what you mean, but lets face it 2nd Marines had the least distance to run.  They went from 8th Marines to the traffic circle and a right turn and your back in your area.  We had to run to 8th Marines and all the way back to our Regts area.  Although it was slow you got to admit too many people dropped out (mostly WMs and sailors).
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I believe the 12th general order is:
"To walk my post from flank to flank and take no shit from any rank."

It came in handy when the sgtmaj ordered no one goes out of camp without a 3 pack of rubbers, and guards had to check in Korea during TS and VB. (Oddly enough in Thailand we wandered off post to the vans sans inspection from utapo and sameson (sp?))

CO: "Afternoon Marine"
Me: "I need to see your rubbers sir"
CO: "I don't have any"
Me: "Sgtmaj says no one goes off this afternoon without a three pack sir, they are in the ops tent"

And in a show of the actual power of E9s in the Corps, he went and got a pack.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#26]
It looks like a few of us [red][b]U[/b]ncle [b]S[/b]am's [b]M[/b]isguided [b]C[/b]hildren[red] will be hitting the Big Town gunshow in the AM to celebrate the Second Amendment to the Constitution to which we swore an oath upon enlistment which still binds us today.

Then and only then will we go out with the wives in our Sunday best and drink a toast to those Teufelhunden who came before us and burnished the reputation which we bear so proudly today.

Chesty Puller, Machine Gun John Basilone, Gunny Paige, Dan Daly, Smedley Butler, Lou Diamond, Carlos Hathcock, Alexander Vandegrift, Herman Hanneken, Presley O'Bannon, Merrit Edson, Chuck Mawhinney, Ira Hayes, Frank Reasoner, Jimmy Howard and all the men who made the Eagle, Globe and Anchor a mark of such distinction, we owe you a debt we can never repay. Thank you, gentlemen, and we honor your memory.

[img]http://www.cob1.addr.com/semperfi.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top