Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 6:10:45 AM EDT
http://reuters.myway.com/article/20050815/2005-08-15T224316Z_01_HO581769_RTRIDST_0_INTERNATIONAL-GUATEMALA-PRISON-DC.html

At least 30 dead in Guatemala prison gang battles

Email this Story

Aug 15, 6:43 PM (ET)

ESCUINTLA, Guatemala (Reuters) - At least 30 inmates were killed on Monday when rival Guatemalan gang members attacked each other with knives, firearms and grenades at prisons throughout the country, government officials said.

Around 80 prisoners were also injured in the fighting between the Mara Salvatrucha and Mara 18 street gangs.

Witnesses saw emergency services carry the bodies of 18 inmates out of one of the prisons, dubbed by prisoners "The Hole," in the Escuintla province of southern Guatemala. Some of the corpses were mutilated.

Many of the dead were killed by hand grenade blasts and suffered knife and gunshot injuries, the government said.

Eight people were killed in the Pavon correctional facility near Guatemala City and four more killed in two other prisons, Francisco de la Pena, head of Guatemala's prison service, told a news conference.

It took hundreds of police and soldiers armed with automatic weapons and firing tear gas several hours to regain control of the prisons.

Street gangs, known as "maras," are widespread in Central America and are known for their use of extreme violence and for a deadly feud between the two principal gangs.

Prison workers said Monday's riots may have started following the breakdown of a peace pact between the two gangs in the prisons.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:23:48 AM EDT
[#1]
And I thought a razor shoved into a melted toothbrush handle was extreme...

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#2]
we got those fuckers all over Long Island, not sure if its the same MS-13
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw a TV show on this prison, I think it was called the World's Worst Jobs (not dirtiest jobs on Discovery).  They said the guards for the prison are not allowed to carry guns, but the inmantes can bring in guns, grenades, etc.  whatever they own.  Showed a couple of prisoners with Macs, and a grenade.  It seemed really nuts, but the prison was more or less open space once inside, the inmantes seemed to be able to wander around this compound at will.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:32:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I saw a TV show on this prison, I think it was called the World's Worst Jobs (not dirtiest jobs on Discovery).  They said the guards for the prison are not allowed to carry guns, but the inmantes can bring in guns, grenades, etc.  whatever they own.  Showed a couple of prisoners with Macs, and a grenade.  It seemed really nuts, but the prison was more or less open space once inside, the inmantes seemed to be able to wander around this compound at will.

That's not a prison, that's a spectator sport.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like these guys might be on to something.  Think about it, how much money per prisoner would we save if 50 or so just decided to off themselves?  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:44:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Our liberals would have sent them all home with ankle braclets.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sounds like these guys might be on to something.  Think about it, how much money per prisoner would we save if 50 or so just decided to off themselves?  

Think about how much money we could make if we put it on PPV.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think about how much money we could make if we put it on PPV.

"Tonight on PPV... Gang Wars, The San Quintin Edition"
or
"Survivor Sing Sing"!

The possibilities are endless
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#9]

"Tonight on PPV... Gang Wars, The San Quintin Edition" or "Survivor Sing Sing"!  The possibilities are endless
Hmmm, pitting desperate downtrodden criminals against each other for profit while saving taxpayer dollars, I'm in!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not a prison, that's a spectator sport.

a la brockian ultra-cricket!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Coming soon to a town near you-- OOOPS, they're already here. Just tryin' to find a job and, etc.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

"Tonight on PPV... Gang Wars, The San Quintin Edition" or "Survivor Sing Sing"!  The possibilities are endless
Hmmm, pitting desperate downtrodden criminals against each other for profit while saving taxpayer dollars, I'm in!

I'll bring the beer and popcorn!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top