Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2001 7:11:51 AM EDT
I have a question that has bothered a friend and I for a number of years.  Given that the M1A Abrams tank uses a 120mm smooth bore gun, how do they stabilize the rounds/projectiles shot from the main gun?[>:/]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Isn't the tank rd a sabot rd?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Think aiming computer takes care of that, chk here:[url]http://www.army-technology.com/projects/abrams/[/url]

Mike
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
They also come in a 105mm Rifled Barrel.

But alas the round (AP or HEAT) is Fin stabilized. The computer takes care of Windare,Range,Humidity,Temperature,Barrel Wear,Barrel Temperature,Barrel warp,Shot type,Tank speed, Tank position, Gun stabilization and elevation, shooting uphill, downhill,  Target vectors(speed, direction), I don't really know about how many discrete variables but quite a few. Ohh but for a rifle sight that did that. Infra Red, Regular and night optics.

Longest Single shot Kill in actual combat occured in the Gulf War. M1A1 Abrahms, 3280 meters against soviet t-55 I think. Skylighted T-55.

Here is a little historical data:

Life Expectancy of NATO Tank crew through the Fulda Gap in Warsaw pact invasion. 2 hours!  

Number of Tank Heavy Russian Divisions stationed in Fulda Gap in 1985 = 110.

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Fin, Stabolized, Discarding, Sabot. Think of a big finishing nail with fins in a plastic case to seal the bore. The plastic Sabot falls away after the "nail" leaves the barrel. And that nail is moving very fast. Along the lines of pushing a 55 grain bullet out of a 50 BMG. Or a sewing needle out of my 30-06. Now, being a Bradley guy, I will not act too impressed with the M1A1 [moon] but they had a purpose.[smoke]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:39:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Haven't verified it, but a friend who was in opfor in Germany driving Bradleys says an M1 accidentally put a training round into the back of an M-3 that was out of formation and killed the whole Bradley crew. That is a gun with some power
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top