Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 12:17:48 PM EDT
Does anyone in this world still make quality leather jackets that aren't specifically for motorcyclists?  I am not afraid of my leather boots or gloves getting wet and abused - and don't understand why anyone should put up with a jacket built of obviously inferior materials.

Anybody have a link or know of a company?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Try: www.coronadoleather.com

GREAT stuff in their catalog.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a size 48R A2 copy made by the San Diego leather company. It's like new and excellent quality. If you're intersted, IM me and I'll email pics. It's been hanging in my closet for nealry 7 years so the price will be cheap.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
flightsuits.com/leather.html

EXCELLENT company to deal with and fantastic quality products all around.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try: www.coronadoleather.com

GREAT stuff in their catalog.

Thank you!

Their "Classic car coat" is pretty much just what I have been looking for.  I'm going to have to save up for that one, though!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]
On a couple of occasions, I have found some exceptional deals on nice leather coats at flea markets, and not just biker jackets.

Just something to consider.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Hugo Boss black lambskin 4 button jacket that I really like. It has a zip out heavier lining and you can wear it with everything from a T-shirt and jeans to a shirt and tie.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My current winter coat is A2 style - but cheap leather (it shows white when scratched!)  I am wanting a longer coat so my fleeces, etc. aren't longer.

I have gone to leather specialty stores willing to pay top dollar for quality, and keep dealing with the same snotty types who talk about how you have to "treat" "fine" leather.  Funny, I tell them, my Army issue black gloves are soft as a babies bottom, tough as nails, and hold up to shit I wouldn't ever trust their jackets with.  So much for "fine."
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]
If I can afford it, I'm going to get a seal-skin jacket in Denmark when I go back for Christmas this year.

It's kind of like leather - except made from cute littel seals instead of boring 'ol cows
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]
It IS a MC company, but the last time I checked ...THURLOW had really nice deerskin jacket styles that didn't scream "motorcyclist" .    You might also check "Timberland". I bought a classy black
"weather-resistant" suede bomber in NYC several years back. I can wear it in Miami if the temp has dropped a bit or for most rides.  I always keep one eye open when I travel to cooler geographical areas ... which, as you know, is almost everywhere than FLA.   Stay safe
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If I can afford it, I'm going to get a seal-skin jacket in Denmark when I go back for Christmas this year.

It's kind of like leather - except made from cute littel seals instead of boring 'ol cows

Don't the clubs leave marks on the skins?!? Well, I guess if they don't have nails sticking out.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a dockers lambskin jacket that I really like, but it is not as soft and smooth as it used to be. anyone know how (or where I can send) the jacket to be reconditioned?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
flightsuits.com/leather.html

EXCELLENT company to deal with and fantastic quality products all around.

A hearty second!

You simply will not find a finer made, higher quality leather jacket than from these folks. Anywhere.

Call 'em up and find out what true customer service is all about.

You will find that the prices are actually quite reasonable for the quality involved, although they are quite expensive.

My custom made A2 is simply the best jacket I've ever owned. It'll probably be arond after I'm gone.

The Thunderbirds and Blue Angels can't be wrong....

SG
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]
A-2 jacket made by Cooper Sportswear Mfg. Inc. They were or still are the suppliers to the Airforce. Excellent quality.  And the price is real reasonable for a leather jacket. I think there are two types, one made from goatskin and one made from horsehide. I have one made from goatskin and it is just like the one my father had in WWII. Still one of the most classic leather  jackets around. Images of biplanes and P-40's and silk scarfs and leather flying helmets and goggles. Have a picture somewhere with the old man in his flying garb standing on the wing by the cockpit of his training aircraft.    
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#16]
there are a lot of wierd people out there

www.regular-guy.com/
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I have used a couple of these over the past few years, each has given good service.
www.northerner.com/products/king-25-5132-72.html
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have used a couple of these over the past few years, each has given good service.
www.northerner.com/products/king-25-5132-72.html

Somehow I missed this until now - are those custom made to your measurements?  When you say "a couple of these over the past few years" - how may for how long?  1100 dollars is pretty steep for something you will only wear for a year or two - or did you use the heck out of 'em?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:03:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Id like one of them just to be evil.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not sure what you mean by a car coat, but Vanson leathers makes casual coats in additionto motorcycle wear.
www.vansonleathers.com/product_pages/jackets/rem2_remington.htm

www.vansonleathers.com/main_page/chapters/mens/casual.htm

huge +1 here. Vanson jackets are made in Fall River, MA, and you can either buy off the rack or get one custom made to your dimensions. They are pricy, but the quality is far beyond pretty much anything else out there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:09:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I have had good luck with a Schott jacket I bought about 15 years ago:

www.schottnyc.com/
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I would like a reproduction WWII style Army Air Corps A2 flyer's jacket made of a russet brown horse hide or dark brown, just like the jacket Gen. Douglas McArthur often wore.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#23]
You can get a motorcycle jacket that doesn't make you look like a fugative from the village people.

For 10 years, I've had a brown leather firstgear jacket that looks great (I think it is called the California or California II), AND accounts for my longer than average torso and arms.  Motorcycle jackets have long backs and longer arms to account for coverage in the typical riding position.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Those are nice, but are they made with top quiality Argentine leather?
I'd show you my 5 years old leather coat, but I'm camera shy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top