Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 7:13:52 AM EST
Going to buy a laptop.

When I use the thing at home, can I plug it into a larger, home, desktop screen?

Is there something specific I need to make sure is included in the laptop to do this?

Will be turning off cable soon, and like to watch a few things on Hulu.

Not sure how that would work though; the laptop screen might be in the way.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:19:28 AM EST
You just need to make sure it has this port on the back:

Then you can set up the laptop so it doesn't shut down when you close the lid, plug in an external keyboard and mouse and use it like a regular desktop machine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:20:19 AM EST
Most laptops have a port for an external display. It's usually either a VGA-style or HDMI interface.

You just need to consider what kind of interface your external monitor needs and what resolutions the monitor and laptop can handle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:29:57 AM EST
Cool!

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks!!

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:20:47 AM EST
By the way, you usually have to press a combination of keys on the keyboard to activate the external monitor. It might be something like Fn-F7. Pressing it repeatedly lets you cycle through internal, external, both screens active. Check your user manual. Not a big deal, but if you don't know this little detail, it can drive you nuts.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:28:36 AM EST
You should look into getting a laptop docking station. I don't know how I would live without mine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:46:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By RegisteredVoter:
By the way, you usually have to press a combination of keys on the keyboard to activate the external monitor. It might be something like Fn-F7. Pressing it repeatedly lets you cycle through internal, external, both screens active. Check your user manual. Not a big deal, but if you don't know this little detail, it can drive you nuts.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:47:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By USMC6177:
You should look into getting a laptop docking station. I don't know how I would live without mine.

Not familiar with this, but I will check it out.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:56:25 AM EST
yep––i've become absolutely addicted to multi-monitoring on my laptop and desktop monitor. it's great for writing papers––research and outline on one monitor, and composition on the other.

but that isn't quite as much fun as flying microsoft flight simulator with the instruments on one screen and the first person view on hte othe.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:00:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By Backstop:

Thanks.

I have a docking station for mine as well ––pretty damn cool.

snick on your laptop and use external keyboard and mouse and have printer set up ––snickit off and your mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:01:00 AM EST

Thanks.

Basically you drop the laptop into the docking station and it already has a power cord/printer/full sized key board/mouse/displays hooked to it. If you use your laptop to travel but still like to sit at a desk and game/work/pron watch
with the usability of a desktop.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:02:05 AM EST

Thanks.

It's a dock that all of your power/USB/printer/Monitor cables plug into. You can press 1 button to release your laptop to take with you. If you are planning on using your laptop as a laptop and desktop computer, it's a must have IMO. That said, my buddy just bought a laptop last week and said it's relatively difficult to find one with a docking station nowadays.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:02:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By xdoctor:

http://tell.fll.purdue.edu/hatasa/kurosio/pages/monitor_port.jpg

Then you can set up the laptop so it doesn't shut down when you close the lid, plug in an external keyboard and mouse and use it like a regular desktop machine.

If you have some ancient monitor.

A DVI port would be much better, and likely more commonplace these days.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:48:43 AM EST
better yet, place the external monitor to the side and set up windows to use them as separate desktops
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:59:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By Walkure:

Well damn, technology must have passed me by. It sucks getting old.

That advice would have been correct three years ago.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:02:52 AM EST

Thanks.

They are available for most business oriented laptops...

My work laptop is a Dell...when I get to the office, I just attach it to the docking station and boot up and use the mouse, keyboard, and dual monitor display on my desk.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:21:18 AM EST
If you use a tv as a monitor via the vga cable can you use the speakers on the tv too? Speakers on the laptop sucks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:25:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By al_bundy:
If you use a tv as a monitor via the vga cable can you use the speakers on the tv too? Speakers on the laptop sucks.

VGA and DVI are video-only. To get audio as well, you would need to connect the appropriate output to an appropriate input.

If you have a newer computer, you may have an actual HDMI out, which may support both video and audio.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:26:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By al_bundy:

VGA and DVI are video-only. To get audio as well, you would need to connect the appropriate output to an appropriate input.

If you have a newer computer, you may have an actual HDMI out, which may support both video and audio.
No, my laptop is older and is having issues with the video driver. I need to replace it anyway but thought I could use it via the tv. It worked for a few minutes and then it shut down on me.

I tried everything but I am afraid it is beyond my computer know how.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:10:43 PM EST

Not true. Most laptops still come with a vga port onboard not dvi or hdmi.
99 out 100 meeting rooms will have a projector that is setup to take vga only so almost everyone keeps the vga port on the laptop.
No most docking stations come with dvi and display port these days.
NoKarma
Top Top