Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 9:49:43 PM EDT
The chief is buying me a laptop for my cruiser.  Does anyone have links to good laptops for cruisers and the stand / console whatever you wanna call it.  I would like to look at some before I decide what would be best.  I want to have it so it will be over my switches, but I can also slide it back if I want.

Thanks

Be Safe
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard mounted units are "best". Second to that would be a toughbook.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#2]
We use toughbooks.  Pretty good setup if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:32:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Ram mounts are best in cars.

Ram Mounts linky
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:36:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Our FD is buying Motorolla laptops that have both GPS and the two-way radio built in.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We use toughbooks.  Pretty good setup if you ask me.

I know one of my buddies that works for Maine uses toughbooks, and I think thats what I am gonna get.  I heard the mount they use is just what I am lookin for but I cant find it online.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Toughbooks..No doubt! for when you accidentally spill your coffee, be it on the keyboard, screen, etc..also handles the rigorous torture of being in a police vehicle 24/7 in all climates. I've actually used them personally long before our PD decided to use them in our Patrol vehicles.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/products.asp
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Toughbooks..No doubt!
 Toughbooks are about the most common you will find.  However, they do still break.  I've killed two...so far.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#9]
which one?...there are 3 kinds, the rugged, semi rugged and the less rugged, the ones we use in our Patrol car are the 28's...they're the same ones used by the military, and it belongs to the rugged tougbook series...I would imagine it would take a lot of abuse before you can really kill it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
We just went to the Itronix Go Book 3.  We love them.  Backlite keyboard, touch screen, completely stand alone.  When the sales guy came in to give a demo to my Lt. he swung it around by the antenna, which is mounted on the side of the screen, and then threw it on the floor while on.  I can take it from the car into a home or business and never lose my wireless connection.  It doesn't need a car antenna.  I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a motorola on a swivel pedestal mount(kinda looks like an inverted L).  love the computer, but it is a bitch to move the mount if you need space in the passenger seat.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#12]
A buddy of mine came back from Iraq and was telling me how a guy in his unit had a Toughbook in his ruck on the out sided of the hummer and it was struck by a 7.62 round.  It destroyed the screan but they were able to hook it up to and external moniter and it still powered up.  If thats not an add for the computer I dont know what is.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A buddy of mine came back from Iraq and was telling me how a guy in his unit had a Toughbook in his ruck on the out sided of the hummer and it was struck by a 7.62 round.  It destroyed the screan but they were able to hook it up to and external moniter and it still powered up.  If thats not an add for the computer I dont know what is.

I think someone should contact them, that would be a hell of a commercial
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top