Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/4/2004 6:17:42 AM EST
Kerry Reportedly Cured of Prostate Cancer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Sen. John Kerry's doctors have told him he is cured of the prostate cancer that sidelined him almost two years ago and that there is a slim chance it could recur in the next decade, The New York Times said Sunday in a report based on interviews with the Democratic presidential nominee and several of his physicians.

``I am cured,'' the 60-year-old Kerry said in the interview last month. ``I am cancer-free, and the percentages of me being cancer-free 10 years from now are about as good as they get.''

He characterized the cancer as a nonissue in the campaign against President Bush.

Kerry's doctors said they told him he was cured, based on the results of an array of tests. They also have concluded he had a less than 3 percent chance of a recurrence in the next nine years. Even if the cancer came back, Kerry's doctors and other experts said it could be treated without seriously interfering with Kerry's presidential duties, should he be elected on Nov. 2.

``The likelihood that he is going to have a significant problem with this cancer is infinitesimally small,'' said Dr. Patrick C. Walsh, the Johns Hopkins University urologist who removed Kerry's entire prostate gland during surgery in February 2003.

Since then, blood tests performed at six month intervals have indicated no recurrence of cancer. The most recent test was done on Sept. 18 during a house call by Dr. Gerald J. Doyle, Kerry's personal physician in Boston.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:23:31 AM EST
Probably God, since Mohammed's blood flows in his viens.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:30:45 AM EST
As a prostate cancer survivor myself,
I treat this as good news.
As many men die each year from this
disease as do women from breast cancer.
Any good news relating to its treatment and
cure is cause to be thankful....just ask
Bob Dole, Colin Powell, Norman Schwarzkopf,
Arnold Palmer, Joe Torre, Robert Goulet, Richard
Mueller, Rudolf Giuliani, Nelson Mandela, Richard
Riordan, Chuck Tanner, or any of the scores of
thousands of other men who will be diagnosed with
prostate cancer in the next year.

One very positive thing I found while dealing with
the illness; fellow patients/survivors come from everywhere
to answer questions, calm fears, and generally be there.
Politics, race, social position, etc., are not important.

Now for the public service pitch; if you're over fifty,
get tested. Just do it.

Top Top