Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/28/2003 11:26:43 AM EDT
Last night was my first session of EMT-B class and was a real eye-opener. First off, I was expecting about 20 students and it's more than double that. The thing that struck me was that I'm old enough to be everyone's father, including a couple of the instructors. It's not going to be easy, but I'm glad of that, considering the subject and it's use in real life. I just don't see some of these kids making it. It's 16 hours a week from now until August (four hours Tuesdays, four hours Thursdays and eight hours Saturdays) and you can't miss a class. Also, this instructor requires an 80 average instead of the standard 70, but he has the highest certification rate in the state. Homework for every class, usually two chapters each. I bought the text books before the long weekend, so I'm ahead of the pace so far. Any suggestions from those who have gone through it already? I'll keep you all posted.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:51:16 AM EDT
Just realize that you are 'drinking from a fire hose' in that learning environment. Keep reading ahead in an effort to have some familiarity with the topics covered. Practice all of your skills ad infinitum on your spouse or significant other. Talk through all of the critical procedures as you physically perform the skills. Know that at some point in the class (or at several points) you will begin to 'get it' and things will begin to fall into place. Remember the two ears one mouth adage and try to listen more than you talk. I keep having to tell myself this, everyday.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:32:23 PM EDT
Its geared for the adult learner, and look at the bright side, you ll be at half the original enrollment in a few weeks. Lots of kids drop out of it real quick.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:06:38 AM EDT
Good luck with the class, don't sweat being the old man of the class. I was 33 when I changed careers and went to Paramedic school, I was an EMT-B for 9 years prior to that. You definitely will add a different outlook to the group. Where are you taking the class, I am glad to hear that your instructor is making you guys put a little effort into it, that is always not the the case, it is even a bigger problem with Paramedic training, with to many programs teaching just enough to pass the test. again good luck, if you have any questions feel free to ask
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:30:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By swatmedic: Where are you taking the class,
View Quote
Central Mass EMS Corp in Holden.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:20:38 PM EDT
Hey SwatMedic, Are you guys operators too? Armed and such? We usually have a medic on each team, entry, arrest, and containment.I asked this as an open question on a thread a few months back and I didn't get alot of responses. WE have 3 of us with our S.O. and they put us through certification as well as sent us to some tactical schools. I was just curious if others were doing that as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:56:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2003 9:29:23 PM EDT by Phil_A_Steen]
Just remember the basic rule for the unconscious patient, [b]Look, Listen & Feel . . .[b] Look for jewelry, Listen for change, Feel for a wallet.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:05:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen: Just remember the basic rule for the unconscious patient, [b]Look, Listen & Feel . . .[b] Look for jewelery, Listen for change, Feel for a wallet.
View Quote
Hahahaha. That's too funny.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:11:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2003 9:46:08 PM EDT by Garand_Shooter]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:38:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2003 5:39:48 PM EDT by ZahnsAP]
Originally Posted By wiggy762: Just realize that you are 'drinking from a fire hose' in that learning environment..
View Quote
Relax listen and most important ask questions when you need to,,no such thing as a dumb question,,fire hose,,well if we were talking about brain surgery ,,astro physics then the hose might be an issue, STUDY! STUDY! this is simple stuff,,even Paramedic Cert is not difficult if you have half a brain..just study and ask questions,,,and of course Ride! and go on calls nothing like experience! Just remember when the SHTF breath! and A,B, C
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:43:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DuffyMack: Hey SwatMedic, Are you guys operators too? Armed and such? We usually have a medic on each team, entry, arrest, and containment.I asked this as an open question on a thread a few months back and I didn't get alot of responses. WE have 3 of us with our S.O. and they put us through certification as well as sent us to some tactical schools. I was just curious if others were doing that as well.
View Quote
IM Sent
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:53:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter: I like that look, listen feel, kinda like our motto here as first responders: Remember your ABC's: Ambulance Be Coming!
View Quote
also Ambulate Before Carry there is also the rule of 3s in a code Everybody above the Third floor After 3:00 am Over 300 lbs. is an automatic DOA another rule of 3s is that whatever the patient tells you they drank, smoked,shot up or ingested, multiply that number X3 to come with the real answer, you may have to go X6 in the case of beer drinkers.
Top Top