Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 6:38:40 PM EDT
Has anybody gone/had a relative/friend go?

My son was asking. Wants to get his GED and learn auto mechanics.

Obviously, their website is not gonna mention problems and or  issues etc.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
my uncle wass an instructor.

He quit, horrible working conditions and classes just kept getting bigger and bigger.

You also have to keep in mind...its either JOB CORP or JAIL for some 16-24 year olds per a judge.

Some real shitheads in there..
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
i worked with a bunch of job corps kids when i was in the BNF. they had a center that was located about 20 miles away from us and each year 2 kids from the natural resources program would come work with the fire crew. i went out to the center a few times to check it out and it was a pretty well ran place. there were tons of different programs that kids could work thorough at their own pace.

the kids who worked with the fire crew got paid just like us. all of their money got put into a general account and they could draw only so much out per week (40$). all of their food was paid for and they lived in the bunk house with us for free. when they graduated the program they got all thier money in one lump sum. most of those kids could make some serious money in 2 years. im not sure how it worked for the kids who stayed on campus. campus life probally got pretty boring for them but they did bring them into town once in a while for something to do. i think there was also lots of activities for them to do.

i think its a great program for kids who dont have much direction in life or for kids who want to learn a trade for life. most kids who were their didnt have a HS diploma and didnt have a drivers lisence.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to work for the National Park Service [in college], there were only two major issues in the four years I worked, couple of kids [guy and a girl] snuck off to screw and the guy fell about 50 feet off a cliff and was killed.  The other was a stabbing, non fatal.

I also had an uncle that was an assistant center director in NC.  In twenty years he only had a handful of major issues, mostly runaways and fights.

Can't speak to todays climate as I'm 15 years out of college and kids are, IMHO, a lot more ruthless and violent today.  I would spec out the center director and see what kind of leadership is there, I believe the top leader will dictate the overall level of professionalism in the entire center.  If it's an affirmative action hire really check closely, the parks and JC are a place where skin color will get you the job.

Other than that, I know the masonry and construction program was top notch.  Staff can live on the centers and the students build the homes.  It's one of those things where if your son keeps straight and stays away from the trouble makers he'd be fine, like anything else.  Best of luck, if it has what he wants I would definately tell him to take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A friend's daughter went, and last I heard everything was going well for her, but that was three or four years ago.

And the automotive business is shit right now.

I'd respectfully disagree about the auto biz.  Autozone, repair shops, and even dealer shops are doing very well.  

People are not buying or are buying used which calls for more freqent and/or intense repair.  If they stopped making cars
tomorrow there'd still be a booming mechanic business for twenty years.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Do a site visit and ask questions.  It probably depends on who is running the facility in question.  Around here I've heard they don't put up with and crap and will kick out any dipsticks.    Your son would still have to be around felony offender types.  He'd just have to not feed in to any bs he ran into.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replys, Im gonna call and see if we can go and see what it looks like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top