Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 7:46:31 AM EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1:1
There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fear God, and eschew evil. Still good advice today.

1:2
And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters.

The perfect family.

1:3
His substance also was seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east.

I wonder if the 7000/3000 split of sheep and camels is related to the 7/3 split of sons and daughters? Why don't you OT history guys jump in here?

1:4
And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

Who says being a Christian can't be fun?

1:5
And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.

Job always put God first in his thoughts. Would that I could live up to that......

1:6
Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

What a coincidence! Satan still tags along where Christians go even today!

1:7
And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

Ahh, the world's original 'travelin' man'. A regular door-to-door salesman. One has to stay busy to sell faulty wares, no?

1:8
And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

God was well pleased with Job - simply because Job feared God, and eschewed evil.

1:9
Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

A legitimate question, I suppose.

1:10
Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.

That's what God does for those who fear Him, and eschew evil. I fail on both counts - but He blesses me in spite of myself.

1:11
But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.

Satan underestimated Job. Satan's pretty sharp, but in a really stupid way. Otherwise, none of the book of Job would have happened.

1:12
And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

Job offers some insight as to why 'bad things happen to good people', as the saying goes. Considered in this light, what a blessing it must be to continue to praise God through adveristy, knowing how pleased He must be with us, to choose us to endure such adveristy. (Just food for thought)

Of course, I have to admit that I've never faced an adveristy like Job did, or anything even remotely similar. I pray that I never do.

1:13
And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house:

Again, having a good time, enjoying life.

1:14
And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them:

But despite the blessings of God, Job still had work to be done. He couldn't just rest on his laurels. God has work for all of us to do.

1:15
And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

The trouble begins for Job......

1:16
While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

Would my faith have waned at this point?

1:17
While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

At this point, how many of us would have been angered over the loss of our material wealth?

1:18
While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house:

Again, living a joyous life.

1:19
And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

And if I hadn't lost it yet, this would have been the point where I fell.

1:20
Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped,

In the midst of life-changing tragedy...Job worshipped God.

1:21
And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

I wish my own faith were so strong.

1:22
In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

Isn't it amazing how much wisdom God packed into a single chapter of a single book? One could take most any verse in Chapter 1 of the Book of Job and turn it into its own book.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Blessed be the name of the LORD.

BTW, did you notice that satan took everything except Mrs. Job?

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yer gonna burn fer that one!!!!!!!!!!  

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yer gonna burn fer that one!!!!!!!!!!  

Think about  her part in the story!

The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, he is in your hands; but you must spare his life."

So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD and afflicted Job with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head. 8 Then Job took a piece of broken pottery and scraped himself with it as he sat among the ashes.

His wife said to him, "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!"

He replied, "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"

In all this, Job did not sin in what he said. (Job 2:6-10)

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Oh, no doubt.

But I'm storing that punch line away fro a sermon somewhere, sometime.....

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Good to see AR in here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, no doubt.

But I'm storing that punch line away fro a sermon somewhere, sometime.....

Just remember the difference between cover & concealment when you use it!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just remember the difference between cover & concealment when you use it!

All the CCW's in my church are male (well, except fer my wife)

[gulp][/gulp]

Think a .45 can penetrate a pulpit????

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the most encouraging things about Job is this: He wasn't being punished for doing wrong.  He was a humble man, and I'm sure he had his own struggle with sin.  The reason he was sent the terrible trials and the suffering he endured is because God was going to make him a model of faith for all ages.  God commends Job's faith to Satan, and accepts Satan's challenge because He knows His grace will overcome every trial.

What I get from this is we should not automatically assume that God is sending trouble our way as a spanking... sometimes He just wants our faith to shine!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Nicely done! Job is one of my favorite books. If you begin at Chapter 36 (or 37), you will read some of the most magnificent words in the English language (I wonder if they are as jaw-dropping in Hebrew). It is so beautiful and so portentous that it makes my hair stand up every time I read it. Some samples:

Job 37:10   By the breath of God frost is given: and the breadth of the waters is straitened.
Job 37:11   Also by watering he wearieth the thick cloud: he scattereth his bright cloud:
Job 37:12   And it is turned round about by his counsels: that they may do whatsoever he commandeth them upon the face of the world in the earth.
Job 37:13   He causeth it to come, whether for correction, or for his land, or for mercy.
Job 37:14   Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the wondrous works of God.
Job 37:15   Dost thou know when God disposed them, and caused the light of his cloud to shine?
Job 37:16   Dost thou know the balancings of the clouds, the wondrous works of him which is perfect in knowledge?

Job 38:1   Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
Job 38:2   Who [is] this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
Job 38:3   Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
Job 38:4   Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Job 38:5   Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
Job 38:6   Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
Job 38:7   When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
Job 38:8   Or [who] shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, [as if] it had issued out of the womb?
Job 38:9   When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,
Job 38:10   And brake up for it my decreed [place], and set bars and doors,
Job 38:11   And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?
Job 38:12   Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; [and] caused the dayspring to know his place;
Job 38:13   That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?
Job 38:14   It is turned as clay [to] the seal; and they stand as a garment.
Job 38:15   And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken.
Job 38:16   Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?
Job 38:17   Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death?
Job 38:18   Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? declare if thou knowest it all.
Job 38:19   Where [is] the way [where] light dwelleth? and [as for] darkness, where [is] the place thereof,
Job 38:20   That thou shouldest take it to the bound thereof, and that thou shouldest know the paths [to] the house thereof?
Job 38:21   Knowest thou [it], because thou wast then born? or [because] the number of thy days [is] great?
Job 38:22   Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail,
Job 38:23   Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the day of battle and war?
Job 38:24   By what way is the light parted, [which] scattereth the east wind upon the earth?
Job 38:25   Who hath divided a watercourse for the overflowing of waters, or a way for the lightning of thunder;
Job 38:26   To cause it to rain on the earth, [where] no man [is; on] the wilderness, wherein [there is] no man;
Job 38:27   To satisfy the desolate and waste [ground]; and to cause the bud of the tender herb to spring forth?
Job 38:28   Hath the rain a father? or who hath begotten the drops of dew?
Job 38:29   Out of whose womb came the ice? and the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it?
Job 38:30   The waters are hid as [with] a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen.
Job 38:31   Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?
Job 38:32   Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?
Job 38:33   Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the earth?
Job 38:34   Canst thou lift up thy voice to the clouds, that abundance of waters may cover thee?
Job 38:35   Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we [are]?
Job 38:36   Who hath put wisdom in the inward parts? or who hath given understanding to the heart?
Job 38:37   Who can number the clouds in wisdom? or who can stay the bottles of heaven,
Job 38:38   When the dust groweth into hardness, and the clods cleave fast together?
Job 38:39   Wilt thou hunt the prey for the lion? or fill the appetite of the young lions,
Job 38:40   When they couch in [their] dens, [and] abide in the covert to lie in wait?
Job 38:41   Who provideth for the raven his food? when his young ones cry unto God, they wander for lack of meat.

It goes on and on in an almost unbearable crescendo of majesty. Beautiful and true.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#10]
JOB 8:13        So are the paths of all that forget God;
                        and the hypocrite's hope shall perish.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:47:30 AM EDT
[#11]
An excellent lesson in the sovereignty of Yahweh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top