Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2003 4:47:46 PM EDT
I have a system running Suse 8.2 professional, and I'd like to make it a dial on demand server for my windows boxes.  Problem is, other than US Robotics external modems, I haven't seen too many internal modems that work with linux.  I'd like to spend alot less than what I'd pay for an external.  Anyone know or have any advice what else is available?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
US Robotics makes an internal hardware modem that works great Model # USR5610B  for $64.00 here
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=18&manufactory=1296&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1
Just scroll down. Works great w/ RH, Mand. , Lycoris. Sure would like to give Suse 8.2 a go, any chance of burning me a copy & shipping it C.O.D. ?

.........Paul
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanx for the info.  Believe it or not, the Super Walmart near me has this in stock.  I want to check Best Buy and Circuit City and do a little price checking first.  Suse has version 9 available for download.  I'll IM you when I get time to burn a copy of 8.2 pro.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If you find an internal modem that's nice enough to have jumpers, there's a 99+% chance that it's a standard modem and will work fine with any OS.  If it doesn't have jumpers then it's one of those Plug 'N Pray pieces of junk that might work or it's not a real modem, as in a software (aka Winmodem) modem.z
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Zoom, that's sound information, and pretty much what I have found out.  Other than a couple old 14.4's I have sitting around, it's been awhile since I've seen a modem with jumpers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top