Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2011 9:22:32 AM EDT

To the people who think it's a good idea to run around screaming "GET TO ZE BUNKERS" like a horrible Arnold impersonation, seriously, I'm trying to finish my movie in here and you are totally killing the ambiance of my night. The concrete over here is made of some strange amalgamation of play-doh and old recycled cardboard. Nevermind the simple fact I have NO IDEA where it's going to land. Oh, and to our glorious voice in the sky:

A few pointers,
1) It would be more helpful if the warning tones occurd prior, or at worst during the actual incoming attack. Letting me know after my stuff got knocked off the wall and people are running around, is pretty useless.
2) Turn up the volume on your damn system, I shouldn't have to go outside to hear wtf you're trying to tell me.
3) Maybe you wait to call an all clear until the earth shattering kabooms have stopped

I know, I know CSB.. But seriously if you've ever been deployed you'll know what I'm talking about, there's always one guy who thinks annoucing to the world to run for the hills is his mission during IDF. That guy, just so happens to live next to me, and I hate it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure where you're at, but it's true.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Rockets are more fun. You here them come screaming in, ususally about the time you're walking to the PX or MWR. Just turn around and go beat off.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#3]
You guys certainly put my daily, civilian annoyances into perspective.  Thank you all for your service.  Get home safe!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not sure where you're at, but it's true.

I'm on Victory, it's not exactly *small* by any standards.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Right on all counts. My first rocket attack got me all amped. I was all like "Fuck yeah, this is like real war or something." After that, it started getting really annoying, especially the ones that landed three or four hundred meters away. Fuckers kept running in and waking me up. I put my K pot on to make 'em happy and threw my IBA on top like a blanket. Assholes.

The one that landed about 50m from my bunk got my attention, though. SPC bluefalcon showed up to the TOC wearing IBA, Kevlar, boxer briefs, boots, and a weapon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The alarm here on my patrol base sounds like a wet fart....literally.  Not sure what the hell is wrong with the system but you can't hear that shit even from inside our thin walled tents.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

To the people who think it's a good idea to run around screaming "GET TO ZE BUNKERS" like a horrible Arnold impersonation, seriously, I'm trying to finish my movie in here and you are totally killing the ambiance of my night. The concrete over here is made of some strange amalgamation of play-doh and old recycled cardboard. Nevermind the simple fact I have NO IDEA where it's going to land. Oh, and to our glorious voice in the sky:

A few pointers,
1) It would be more helpful if the warning tones occurd prior, or at worst during the actual incoming attack. Letting me know after my stuff got knocked off the wall and people are running around, is pretty useless.
2) Turn up the volume on your damn system, I shouldn't have to go outside to hear wtf you're trying to tell me.
3) Maybe you wait to call an all clear until the earth shattering kabooms have stopped

I know, I know CSB.. But seriously if you've ever been deployed you'll know what I'm talking about, there's always one guy who thinks annoucing to the world to run for the hills is his mission during IDF. That guy, just so happens to live next to me, and I hate it.

Lulz... So true.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I love the smell of incoming in the morning.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I slept through my first two rocket attacks. We landed a few hours prior after a long and very annoying journey to get in country and as soon as I got my room I pulled my sleeping bag out and racked the fuck out. The base caught 4 rockets in the first one and 3 in the second one about an hour apart.

After that I found out that the worst part of IDF attacks were all the bullshit games you had to play during and afterwords...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#10]
My favorite is the "Giant Voice" echoing so badly you can't understand what the hell it's saying.  It echoe's all over the place and everyone "Mirkat's" and then goes back inside.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a cute IDF story.  We start taking rockets, on Victory, and a SEAL comes running from his CHU with his M4.  Not his helmet or BA, but his rifle like we're getting overrun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#12]
After that I found out that the worst part of IDF attacks were all the bullshit games you had to play during and afterwords...
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

+1

We are indeed our own worst enemy sometimes  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Right on all counts. My first rocket attack got me all amped. I was all like "Fuck yeah, this is like real war or something." After that, it started getting really annoying, especially the ones that landed three or four hundred meters away. Fuckers kept running in and waking me up. I put my K pot on to make 'em happy and threw my IBA on top like a blanket. Assholes.

The one that landed about 50m from my bunk got my attention, though. SPC bluefalcon showed up to the TOC wearing IBA, Kevlar, boxer briefs, boots, and a weapon.

Chief, we're getting IDF!!

Me, rolling back to sleep:  He'll get tired of that shit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chief, we're getting IDF!!

Me, rolling back to sleep:  He'll get tired of that shit.

Yup. In my case it was SGT Cancel came running in the hooch, literally yelled "We're being attacked!" and ran back out. I executed the exact same maneuver.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey OP, your on VBC?  I am living on East Liberty.  Where abouts are you?  Always good to know another Arfcommer.

Me and some of my work buddies were heading over to SG village to avoid the Toby Kieth concert when alarms went off.  We litterally stopped our conversation for all of 5 seconds then went back to what we were doing.  Fucking hajis always trying to ruin a good time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You guys certainly put my daily, civilian annoyances into perspective.  Thank you all for your service.  Get home safe!

Actually I'd rather put up with that shit than rush hour traffic. Or having to buy my own bottled water.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Lol, you should have been there for the SCUDs.  Full MOPP gear, every time, then a formation to make sure you still had your diazepam and 2pamchloride.

8 times a night, easy.

ETA: LIGHTNING, LIGHTNING, LIGHTNING...

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, least I can say is stay safe. Don't try to catch one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#21]
lol...+1 to all of the above.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few pointers,

GET TO DAH CHOPPAH!!!!

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey OP, your on VBC?  I am living on East Liberty.  Where abouts are you?  Always good to know another Arfcommer.

Me and some of my work buddies were heading over to SG village to avoid the Toby Kieth concert when alarms went off.  We litterally stopped our conversation for all of 5 seconds then went back to what we were doing.  Fucking hajis always trying to ruin a good time.

IM sent!

I thought the concert got canceled because of the "attack"
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a cute IDF story.  We start taking rockets, on Victory, and a SEAL comes running from his CHU with his M4.  Not his helmet or BA, but his rifle like we're getting overrun.

Rockets proceed FOB attacks in Afghanistan.  Didn't you ALL have your M4s?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought after an IDF attack, the first order of Fobbit business was to open PureEdge and start typing up that CAB paperwork!!!

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:21:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You still have to be armed everywhere, even on BIAP, right?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big negative.  I left in Feb. this year.  I could walk where ever I wanted on the camp I was on in BIAP without a weapon.  To leave the camp, you had to be armed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#29]
anyone that agrees with this idiot is a POG just like he is. stop being lazy and get the fuck out of bed. it's not like you have to do a patrol or any kind of real work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

More importantly, did he have his flippers?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My favorite is the "Giant Voice" echoing so badly you can't understand what the hell it's saying.  It echoe's all over the place and everyone "Mirkat's" and then goes back inside.

+1. I can't hear shit in the chu til the C-RAM goes off. Its gotta be the T walls screwing up the sound. The C-RAM Its like 100 yards away form my chu and the smoke pit is right by it. That thing is a thing of beauty when it goes off at night. It also wakes you the fuck up.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
anyone that agrees with this idiot is a POG just like he is. stop being lazy and get the fuck out of bed. it's not like you have to do a patrol or any kind of real work.

I'm exposing myself more from the incoming  running from my tent/CHU to get to a bunker.  I might as well pull my pillow tight around my neck and wait for the head count.  That's how I feel about it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

More importantly, did he have his flippers?

No, but he always cooked up some nice coffee for all of us.  He was a big surfer guy with a heart of gold.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big negative.  I left in Feb. this year.  I could walk where ever I wanted on the camp I was on in BIAP without a weapon.  To leave the camp, you had to be armed.

That seems crazy to me.  If some IA dude flips out he could be shooting fish in a fucking barrel.  Not to even mention bonafide infiltrators.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#35]
The few I've seen wounded during mortar attacks with those running for the bunkers instead of hitting the deck.

For rockets, they were looking up wondering what the screaming sound was.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:42:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That seems crazy to me.  If some IA dude flips out he could be shooting fish in a fucking barrel.  Not to even mention bonafide infiltrators.

In 04-05, and 06-07 you couldn't even eat unless you had your weapon.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:49:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In 04-05, and 06-07 you couldn't even eat unless you had your weapon.

Yeah, that was dildos.

Having been a mortarman myself, I know how ridiculously scary the fucking things are. No warning, no nothing, just *BOOM*. Getting mortar'd is shit, especially if you can see them landing. Rockets were shit too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Listen, guys.  I hate carrying a weapon and I never did unless I had too.  The story has changed quite a bit over there and I would carry a weapon now.  I won't have to go back but shit has changed.  I would now carry.  Crazy fucking shit in the last few months since I've left and that's as far as I'm going.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:55:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Listen, guys.  I hate carrying a weapon and I never did unless I had too.  The story has changed quite a bit over there and I would carry a weapon now.  I won't have to go back but shit has changed.  I would now carry.  Crazy fucking shit in the last few months since I've left and that's as far as I'm going.

NDA?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:56:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NDA?

Forward deployed.

Similar to the Rangers.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

NDA?

Forward deployed.

Similar to the Rangers.

Genau

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:18:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wow, I'm a POG now?! Sweet, I'll let my squad leader know I can't go out on all my missions this month, the Internet tough guy has spoken.

I don't know who you are, or what you've done, but you just showed your ass. If you're one of the more professional members here, you forgot the quiet part. If you're some 11b then remember I'm just some POG next time you roll out and see your medic in the back seat, that's me.

Thanks for shitting on me and my thread as I cope with my deployment in a jovial manner, John Rambo.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I carry everywhere, people have been "vanished" ON the fob. Lots of interesting stuff. They know were leaving and it has bolstered their reslove to "kill the Christian invaders"...

Hell if you carry at home why wouldn't you carry here. I like the fact I can be strapped as a environmental norm.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry everywhere, people have been "vanished" ON the fob. Lots of interesting stuff. They know were leaving and it has bolstered their reslove to "kill the Christian invaders"...

Hell if you carry at home why wouldn't you carry here. I like the fact I can be strapped as a environmental norm.

Give me the name of anyone who has "vanished" on the "Fob".  I'm guessing, you can't.  Thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:37:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give me the name of anyone who has "vanished" on the "Fob".  I'm guessing, you can't.  Thanks for playing.

Green0 was posting on this very site, just today, from Iraq, and "poof", he vanished, along with the whole thread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:40:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My favorite was seeing the females come out in their pink yoga pants and IBA and kpot.  They bitched the loudest too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I'd rather put up with that shit than rush hour traffic. Or having to buy my own bottled water.

Damn, I like your philosophy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:46:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, I'm a POG now?! Sweet, I'll let my squad leader know I can't go out on all my missions this month, the Internet tough guy has spoken.

I don't know who you are, or what you've done, but you just showed your ass. If you're one of the more professional members here, you forgot the quiet part. If you're some 11b then remember I'm just some POG next time you roll out and see your medic in the back seat, that's me.

Thanks for shitting on me and my thread as I cope with my deployment in a jovial manner, John Rambo.

Soldier Medic, brother.

Warrior fucking spirit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:54:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in December (I think, may have been November) a soldier was accosted by some LN's not far from the Palace, they jumped out of their truck and approached him with an apparent intent of kidnapping him. He had a Beretta 9mm and was able to pull it and as they were unarmed they jumped back in the truck and hauled ass. This is all according to the release made at VBC requiring all personnel to travel in buddy teams after dark or risk getting yanked by the MP's.

I don't know if anything else came of it as I went north to Speicher in early Feb (which by the way NEVER seems to take incoming ) but there was an identified danger.

VBC has been getting hit more frequently than I recall from past visits there, but it has nothing on good old FOB Falcon in late 2007, we used to get rocked 6 or 7 times a day at that joint.

And yeah, I'm a POG Government Civilian, I don't go outside the wire and get to shoot bad guys, I just make sure your little boxes that keep said bad guys from using electronics to blow your sorry asses up are available, installed and operational with the proper threat load.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:31:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, I like your philosophy.

+ 1 for truth.  I worry more about the crazy drivers trying to take me out when I am in the good old USA then I do about the IDF.  Haji can't hit shit, but those drivers seem to kill people everyday.

As for threats to people on the FOB, I worked in Force Pro on Victory for a while.  Travel with a buddy and carry your weapon with ammo (to many running around with mags with only a couple rounds because they are "too heavy" to carry when full) there are verifiable threats to people on VBC.  That is all I am going to say on that, but really walk with battle buddyand keep your weapon handy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top