Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 10:57:22 PM EDT
Ok, someone must know how to do this. How do you retract a bid on Ebay??? I bid on some magazines for my Sig, then I went to the gun store today and found the exact same mag for less than half the price. So now i don't want the mag. Someone MUST know how to do this!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Your screwed!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok, someone must know how to do this. How do you retract a bid on Ebay??? I bid on some magazines for my Sig, then I went to the gun store today and found the exact same mag for less than half the price. So now i don't want the mag. Someone MUST know how to do this!!

1. Hope you lose the auction.
2. Don't pay and take the negative feedback.
3. Pay for the magazines and keep/sell them.
4. Write the seller a nice email explaining how you lost your head in the heat of battle and can he please cancel your bid or accept the next higher bidder(*don't hold your breath on that one although I did that once and it worked).
5. Find an arfcommer that is wealthy and have him bid over the amount you bid and have him take the loss.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:26:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought no gun stuff was allowed on ebay? lol if thats true you could report the listing
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#5]
So you bid on the item, found it cheaper, and now you want to cancel your bid.

You are agreeing to a contract -- You will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller if you're the winning bidder. You are responsible for reading the full item listing, including the seller's instructions and accepted payment methods. Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.

Please don't use the EE here.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So you bid on the item, found it cheaper, and now you want to cancel your bid.

You are agreeing to a contract -- You will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller if you're the winning bidder. You are responsible for reading the full item listing, including the seller's instructions and accepted payment methods. Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.

Please don't use the EE here.

EE is already full of people like that.

A man is only as good as his word.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:47:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, you should ask the seller if you can retract your bid, but if the auction has closed and you are the winner he does not have to let you.  I have been fortunate in that the only time I did such a thing the seller was ok with letting me retract, since the second place bidder was willing to take the item for the winning price.  Otherwise I would have had to pony up the dough.

If they won't, just suck it up and pay the man.  Negative feedbacks on Ebay are a be-hotch to have if you wanna do business on there for very long.

Heck you can always auction them off again and hopefully recoup your money.  Remember it helps to have the auction end at a peak time, and listing them with a "buy it now" also helps move them quickly.

As much as I despise Ebay I'm afraid I'm going to have to start selling on there again soon too.  I have a ton of collectible crap laying around that I am just plain sick of having in my personal space!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#9]
if your an honorable man, you'll rock up and buy what you bid for, then chaulk it up for future knowledge, if not then you'll use a different comp, set up a troll acount and out bid your self.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I emailed the guy and asked to have my bid cancelled. I didn't make up any random ass excuses, like people do. I straight told him why I wanted him to cancel my bid. I'm not dishonest like some other people out there. I've bought great stuff on the EE. But I have never committed to something that I wasn't set on buying. If the seller hadn't cancelled my bid, then I had won, I would have bought it and resold it either on the EE or on ebay again. But I didn't even have to worry about that because someone else outbid me.

Please don't judge people based on one post online. You can't possibly know what kind of person I am from one single question.

BTW: Last time I checked, you have 30 days (depends on the type of contract) to cancel a contract. I realize that on ebay, they adjusted their user agreement to make it safer to bid online, but I can still legally cancel the contract.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Try this: Don't place a bid on an item unless you're willing to follow through. Deadbeat bidders are part of the reason eBay can be a shitty place to try and conduct business. If the seller says that the bid can't be cancelled or retracted, be prepared to follow through with the deal you made.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Try this: Don't place a bid on an item unless you're willing to follow through. Deadbeat bidders are part of the reason eBay can be a shitty place to try and conduct business. If the seller says that the bid can't be cancelled or retracted, be prepared to follow through with the deal you made.

+1000.

You made a deal.... now you want to back out?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

BTW: Last time I checked, you have 30 days (depends on the type of contract) to cancel a contract. I realize that on ebay, they adjusted their user agreement to make it safer to bid online, but I can still legally cancel the contract.

uh, where did you pull that factoid out of?

If the auction isn't over you can retract a bid. If the auction has ended (you are the winning bidder) then you need to man up and pay for what you said you'd pay for.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

uh, where did you pull that factoid out of?

If the auction isn't over you can retract a bid. If the auction has ended (you are the winning bidder) then you need to man up and pay for what you said you'd pay for.

That little factoid was from my law school professor, who happens to be a practicing attorney. I understand ebay is different. If I were to win the bid now, I will pay for it. I've already said that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top