Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2014 11:27:19 AM EDT
I have no idea what I'm doing inside IIS.  I don't even know if my terminology is correct.

(using IIS 7)

When installing some software that runs a site, the site gets put under the default website, making it "mysite.com/newpage"  (I'm calling that a nested page)

I want to make that it's own root site, like "Newpage.Mysite.com"

How do I move it in IIS?

I already have the DNS record created with GoDaddy, already have NAT'ing setup for the site that I want to create, just need to get it created the way I had envisioned for all that to work.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:40:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Bingo - Subdomain is the word I'm looking for.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:56:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Been a while since I used IIS7, but I think it's close to 8.

You want to create a new site (right click Sites -> Add Web Site)

Use whatever you want for a name and set the physical path to the root of where the app web files are installed.

Under the site binding is where you define the host name, they give an example but you would enter newpage.mysite.com

You will also need a DNS record pointing newpage.mysite.com to the IP address of your web server. If this is all being done local, you can modify your hosts file and create a manual entry.

*edit - sorry, missed your note about DNS already being set up with godaddy
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have no idea what I'm doing inside IIS.  I don't even know if my terminology is correct.

(using IIS 7)

When installing some software that runs a site, the site gets put under the default website, making it "mysite.com/newpage"  (I'm calling that a nested page)

How do I move it in IIS?

I already have the DNS record created with GoDaddy, already have NAT'ing setup for the site that I want to create, just need to get it created the way I had envisioned for all that to work.  

View Quote
This is not an IIS problem.

This is a "other software that runs the site" problem.

Is this Plesk you are using?  Go dig up some quick-start manuals and start reading.

Most of the time those tools (shit you install in a web instance to "run" a site) will have a setting somewhere that allows you to control the "root", but also they are installed as an isapi filter or cgi script so anything you do in IIS will break it, rather than fix the configuration.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is this Plesk you are using?  Go dig up some quick-start manuals and start reading.

Most of the time those tools (shit you install in a web instance to "run" a site) will have a setting somewhere that allows you to control the "root", but also they are installed as an isapi filter or cgi script so anything you do in IIS will break it, rather than fix the configuration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

(using IIS 7)

How do I move it in IIS?

This ^
And what shnelson said.

Trying to do anything with the existing page/site just broke it.  Ended creating a new site, then just copying the defaultly installed as far as directories and applications.  

I'm up and running now. And know a wee bit more about how IIS works :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top