Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2002 7:22:29 PM EDT
What's the process like? It's not a ClassIII is it? Are they easier to get? And what's involved with getting one? Just curious and looking in to owning a few SBR's if the hassle isn't quite the ankle-grab that a ClassIII is.

I've searched other posts, and the only thing that seems tricky is getting the Form 1 signed off by some chief L.E.O. Do they do this without a hassle? How long does it take once the tax stamp is paid and the form sent in completed?

Anyone know the ins and outs of being a legal SBR owner?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Class 3 refers to the dealer, not the firearm.  A Class 3 dealer is an FFL licensee who has paid a special yearly tax to deal in Title 2 (NFA) firearms.

A machinegun is an NFA firearm, as are short-barrel rifles, short-barrel shotguns, sound suppressors, "any other weapon" (AOWs), large-bore destructive devices and explosive destructive devices.

A Class 3 dealer is qualified to deal in NFA firearms other than destructive devices.

An SBR requires the same registration and making tax (if making on Form 1) or registration and transfer tax (if purchasing via Form 4) as a machinegun or silencer, or what have you.  $200 to make, or $200 to transfer ($5 for AOW transfers).  Form 1 or Form 4 both require pics, prints and CLEO signature except for corporate purchases.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Like Circuits says, it's essentially the same registration process whether SBR, AOW, or SMG - they're all title 2 NFA weapons.

I just had a double barrel SBS made for me by LRM Firearms and Suppressors in Tallahassee

http://www.lrmfirearms.com
http://www.lrmfirearms.com/page507921.htm

Lee did a very sweet job for a great price.

If you know exactly what you're doing and have the tools to do it you might want to Form 1 the conversion. From [i]what I've heard[/i] Form 1 approvals take longer than Form 4 transfer approvals, so that may be a factor in your decision. And you're required to wait until approval [i]before[/i] you can do the conversion.

If you find a C2 SOT to do the job, he can start the job as soon as his schedule allows - by being a SOT he doesn't have the same waiting period before starting the work as we civilians have - he just FAXs in a Form 2 and does it, no approval needed. After he's done you do the Form 4 transfer. Here in FL there's a small  excise tax for the manufacture, in addition to the $200 Form 4 transfer tax, not sure if that applies in other states.

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I simply want some shorter uppers for some of my AR's. Nothing tricky, and nothing that requires a gunsmith of any kind.

Is getting an L.E.O. to sign off on the form 1 a bitch? Seems like it might be.

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What's the process like? It's not a ClassIII is it? Are they easier to get? And what's involved with getting one? Just curious and looking in to owning a few SBR's if the hassle isn't quite the ankle-grab that a ClassIII is.
View Quote
Easiest to do the Form-1[url]http://www.titleii.com/pdf/NewF1.pdf[/url], instead of doing a bunch of transfers to get the firearm. Yes, it is a C3 item. No ankle grabbing, just follow the basic steps to ownership, and do not cross state line without an approved 5320.20[url]http://www.titleii.com/pdf/5320-20.pdf[/url]

I've searched other posts, and the only thing that seems tricky is getting the Form 1 signed off by some chief L.E.O. Do they do this without a hassle? How long does it take once the tax stamp is paid and the form sent in completed?
View Quote
I submit a cover letter in addition to my papers to the desk clerk, and leave them for Cheif. I have it easy to an extent, local PD seems C3 friendly, and we have a 07/C2 2 1/2 minutes from the PD, and I have been shooting IPSC with a bunch of Dayton area LE that I use for reference on my cover letter. Typical approval runs in the 60-90 day, your mileage may vary.

Anyone know the ins and outs of being a legal SBR owner?
View Quote
Look at my "author" name- "SBR7_11",,,owned a SBR uzi since Jan-'88 and an AWC can, and I have an AR-15 SBR with a 7.5", 11.5", 12" barrels along with a 20" Colt. Nothing special as far as ownership, make XEROX coppies of your approved Form-1 to keep with rifle while out and about, along with approved 5320.20 if going to a different state, provided that state is SBR friendly, need 1 for each destination state.

Thanks.
View Quote
You are welcome.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Great info....thanks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#6]
When you add the short barreled upper to an AR-15 after gettting your Form 1 approved, don't you have to engrave your name and city on the AR-15 receiver?

How and where on the rifle do most people do this?

THanks
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I've done 2.  The form is relatively painless, just make sure you do two of them and don't forget the FBI fingerprint cards (go to your local PD to get fingerprinted; you can get the cards from ATF if you want) as well as the passport photos which you attach to the second page.  When you get all of that done, go make an appointment with your CLEO and explain to him why you are doing it (enhance collection, practical shooting competition, whatever) and that you are not a frikin pycho.  Once he signs off and does the record check, you are good to go.

When you are done and get the form back (90 days or more), you have to mark the SBR (frame, reciever or barrel) with a) your first initial and full last name and b) your city and state.  The mark has to be of a depth of .005".

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When you add the short barreled upper to an AR-15 after gettting your Form 1 approved, don't you have to engrave your name and city on the AR-15 receiver?
View Quote
Yes

How and where on the rifle do most people do this?
View Quote
Typical for an AR-15 is to remove the pistol grip, and engrave the info on the flat for the pistol grip. No marking required on the upper or barrel, as they are not the "registered part". The lower with the serial # is the registered part.

Thanks
View Quote
Welcome again.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#9]
That's why I love this site. I contribute what I know, and ask about what I don't.

This is agreat example of consise information and from those in the know. As usual, greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Where can someone who want an SBR get the engraving done? Is there a standard for it?

Av.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
ATF has issued new guidlines for marking, don't know quite what it is, and not sure if it applies to both individual and manufacture. Previous editions were simply done with an "electric pencil", such as mine and many others. With the coming of Laser engraving, might think ATF "upped" the depth requirements as laser is basically a surface job (etching)??
Some people have had luck getting a trophy or jeweler do it, depending on the fellas attitude towards firearms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top