Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2002 8:11:21 AM EDT
From [url]http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/5513726p-6493133c.html[/url]

[b]Faced with high absenteeism, West Sacramento schools this year will extend their winter break by one week to accommodate students who spend their holidays with family in Mexico.
In a vivid example of how shifting demographics transform public institutions, Washington Unified School District officials have decided to experiment with a three-week break at all but one of their schools, rather than offer the typical two-week vacation

The longer break is intended to aid the large number of students who make the annual trek with family to Mexico for the holidays, a common practice among Mexican immigrants living in California.
[/b]

SIGH!!!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I am not Jewish but I live near and have many friends who are, so I want all of Hanukkah off. I also want all of the other Jewish holidays as well, if you haven't seen a Jewish calendar there is an extra holiday in nearly every month!!

What a crock of shit. The school system feels they need to accomadate people with a 3 week vacation during the holidays because obviously the education is not thier priority. I have family in Canada and I didnt get extra time to go visit during the holidays. We visited in the summer months, go figure when it is better timed for all.

[beer]

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discrimination? No. Just American kids losing another week or two of their education to accommodate mostly illegal aliens.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I posted after only having read what sgtar quoted. Reading the full story I see that they ADMIT IT...

"As we realize that the minorities are now the majority, you have to accommodate for cultural differences," said Mike Woodcock, principal of Westfield Elementary School. "You can't force them into a cultural system that may not meet their needs."
View Quote

So instead he's saying we'll [u]force[/u] everyone else. They don't mind forcing people, it just has to be the *right* people.

This country is so fucked up today. I feel like it's been appropriated and we were never asked for permission. (Of course I know why there was never one referendum to decide all this immigration/accommodation... the American people would have emphatically said "NO" -- and we can't have that!)

The Trujillo family is thankful for the schedule change.

For the past eight years, [u]the family avoided traveling to Guanajuato in December because the two-week break was too short[/u], said Veronica Trujillo, 33. One of her four children attends Elkhorn Village Elementary.

This year, they will make the trip, partly as a result of the longer break. [u]Because the family will drive, the journey will last four weeks[/u].

Though the kids will miss one week of school, it's preferable to missing two, Trujillo said.

"It's a lot of money to waste only for two weeks, and the kids have to miss more school," [u]Trujillo said in Spanish[/u]. This way, "the kids won't have to do as much work to make it up."
View Quote

So, because some Mexicans want to take an ENTIRE MONTH off, the rest of the kids (2/3 there are not even 'hispanic') have to miss more school, so that the Mexican kids won't have to do as much work to make it up?

I just can't believe this. I feel so sorry for what has happened to California. I'm sure another amnesty for illegal aliens will guarantee a democratic lock on that state for eternity.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a perfect example of a result of "unintended consequences".  The politicians (whom the US citizens foolishly continue to re-elect[rolleyes]]) allow this type of crap to happen and whether they know it or not, they're diluting the American culture, one election at a time.

The second worst part about this is that there's nothing we can do about it.  The Libs control the media and [b]they control our schools.[/b]

Damn.

Makes me sick.

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
What a bunch o' BS.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#6]
What's next, a 4-hour workday so the 'grints can have their customary siesta?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top