Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2002 9:19:31 AM EDT
I know Hesse has had a bit of a checkered past, but does anyone have experience with newer Hesse rifles, such as the 50 BMG single shot, the HK clones, the AK clones, or the AR's? 1200 for a 50 BMG is a nice price.

All opinions appreciated.

Bruce
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Hesse Quality

This is a classic example of an oxymoron.

Link Posted: 11/19/2002 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Their FAL receivers have improved over time.  No experience with any of their other stuff.  Saw a few of their ARs at a gun show, they looked okay, but I'm sure they would have bugs.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never seen a Hesse gun that I wanted.  Every one of them I've seen has been a total fit/finish nightmare.

I think Hesse is only one of a select few who could screw up an AK.  Heck, they have guys living in huts in Afghanistan who make better AK clones with simple hand tools than what Hesse has produced (or that I've seen).

Tim
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, this is kinda what I expected. Does anyone have any experience with the 50 BMG uppers that use an AR lower?

They seem to run about a grand.

How about Joeken firearms in general. Good or Bad? they seem to sell mostly Hesse rifles...

Thanks all!

Bruce
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Hesse FAL receiver's getting better? Not that I have heard. If you want to build an FAL get an Imbel Type III, a FAC Type I made by Dan Coonan or a DSA Type I, II or III.

Why spend the money on something that may work but more than likely will be a POS.

Not for my FALs.

Rusty
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Hesse Quality is hit or miss. I have two. One is fine, the other had a failure to extract problem and needed some fine tuning. Fit and finish is OK. They are good shooters but not match quality. I've seen some of their stuff at gunshows that is real trash though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Hesse 50bmg...hmmm...1/4 stick of dynamite eploding six inches from your face.....think I'll stick with my Armalite.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a G1 FAL made from a Hesse receiver and it hasn't blown up (yet).  I've put about 200 rounds through it and it does actually look pretty good, too.

I wouldn't pick up any of the AR parts or recivers, however.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hesse Quality

This is a classic example of an oxymoron.

View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't do it.  I bought an HK clone on a Hesse receiver (before I knew better) that could never be made to work right.  I was told by one of the gods of HK smiths to not waste any more time and money on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top