Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2009 1:39:19 PM EDT
Ok, so here it the short version:

January 2008, my FSGLI stopped. That is the Family Servicemembers'  Group Life Insurance. I went to Finance, and they could show no reason as to why it stopped. Thus began the buck-passing...Finance said it is an S1 issue to fix, S1 says that it is a pay issue and Finance should fix it, Finance then tells me to go to DEERS (who actually does show my wife as in the system) who sends me to G1 who sends me BACK to Finance, who sends me to Batallion S1...so on and so forth...

So, FINALLY after a few months on the merry-go-round, intersperced with trips to WLC, BNCOC, and NTC, a high-speed Spec-4 in S1 figures out that all we have to do is fill out the election form (again), and submit it, and it will be fixed. The form was submitted a month and a half ago. The deduction STILL did not show on my March 1st LES. I went back to S1 who told me that they submitted the form and that I am showing in their system as having the FSGLI, so I need to go to Finance (again) and do a pay inquiry as to why the deductions are not coming out. Today, I go to Finance (again) and lay it all out for them, and they tell me that I have to go to G1, and G1 tells me that FSGLI is handled at the Batallion level so I need to go back to S1...

Can anyone give me some insight on how to fix this!!??!
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a civilian job, no seriously I have had problems with it before as well. If it shows in the system that you are covered the charges will eventually catch up and they will probably backcharge you for several months at one time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Obviously eitherFinance, S-1, or G-1 is AFU. If your Commander or First Sergeant can't get it fixed, consider making an appointment to see your Battalion CSM under his open door policy. It's all fun and games until a CSM gets involved.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
IG................
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IG................

Why not use his own channels before going outside of them?

Fuck, talk to the PSG, PSG talks to the 1SG, 1SG talks to S-1, eventually the right path is found and the shit gets fixed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 3:53:28 AM EDT
[#5]
That is my thought at this point. There is no good reason to get IG involved as of yet. It just really irks me that what should have taken all of five minutes to fix is still not fixed yet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:58:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the 1SG involved. He can get shit fixed on the phone.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#7]
At least you're making the effort....you'd be surprised how many guys get divorced and conveniently forget to tell Finance/DEERS/etc.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
At least you're making the effort....you'd be surprised how many guys get divorced and conveniently forget to tell Finance/DEERS/etc.

And then act all surprised when it comes back to bite them in the ass...

"Why do i have a "No Pay Due?!?""
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then act all surprised when it comes back to bite them in the ass...

"Why do i have a "No Pay Due?!? am I getting court-martialed?""

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#10]
+ 1 on the civilian job  Seriously though, why is it so hard to get people payed?  

Keep bitching, keep going up the chain, your coc should go to bat for you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
IG................

Fuck, talk to the PSG, PSG talks to the 1SG, 1SG talks to S-1, eventually the right path is found and the shit gets fixed.
He should inform his COC, and give them 48hrs for feedback....Because 90% of the time, it will take forever...I went two months without pay last MOB, it took my congressmen to fix it...I have no sympathy for pay issues for soldiers.....I will make the call for them if S-1 cant pull thier head out;....

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, just checked the 1st of the month LES, and still not there, so I guess when I get back from leave I will get the CoC involved. I really think that they should combine all the "soldier support" into one shop...finance, deers, personnel, so on and so forth...that way, it would all be handled in that one office.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IG................

He should inform his COC, and give them 48hrs for feedback....Because 90% of the time, it will take forever...I went two months without pay last MOB, it took my congressmen to fix it...I have no sympathy for pay issues for soldiers.....I will make the call for them if S-1 cant pull thier head out;....

Sorry guy, but the 1SG does not report to his joes for "feedback".  If he says he's going to handle it, he'll handle it.  If he doesn't handle it-go ahead and call IG, your mom, or whoever else will listen.  Before you do, realize it usually takes more than 2 days to unfuck things.  

If I was the OP, I would have gone back to my NCO support channel as soon as I started getting the run around.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IG................

Sorry guy, but the 1SG does not report to his joes for "feedback".  If he says he's going to handle it, he'll handle it.  If he doesn't handle it-go ahead and call IG, your mom, or whoever else will listen.  Before you do, realize it usually takes more than 2 days to unfuck things.  

If I was the OP, I would have gone back to my NCO support channel as soon as I started getting the run around.

+1 on the NCO support channel

They should track their soldier's finance issues.  If you team leader, squad leader, and PSG are not tracking this they  are either wrong or you failed to follow your CoC and allow them to help you; its their job.  YOU should not be the only person in your CoC who knows about a problem.  They can help you, and will if they are worth a shit.  When my PSG and my senior NCO's were  gone I did have to deal with some these kinds of issues as the PL; its not that hard, just requires followup from both the subordinates and the leaders.  BTW it helps a lot more if you have Regs in hand to show people how to do their job properly.  They tend to get shit done b/c you are essentially calling them out for being an idiot...  Just be respectful in doing so

Good luck to you with this though, I know our S-1 and G-1 are all kinds of jacked up here.  NC wasn't so bad when I was in the Guard there, but that was about 16 months ago.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, just checked the 1st of the month LES, and still not there, so I guess when I get back from leave I will get the CoC involved. I really think that they should combine all the "soldier support" into one shop...finance, deers, personnel, so on and so forth...that way, it would all be handled in that one office.

It's called DIMHRS, coming to your S-1 this spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top