Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2006 9:27:33 AM EDT
Hey everybody,I'm hoping that some of you pros may be able to help me with a problem.

Background- about 5 months ago my 3 year old Gateway PC started to power off unexpectedly. It would usually only do this right after powering up after being off overnight. When it powered off I would just start it again and it would be ok until the next time it was off for a length of time. It got to be the usual, where I would start the computer, Windows would start and I could usually get to 2-3 minutes out of it, them boom, power off. Restart then run fine.

Now, it is shutting off and not restarting.

Is this a power supply issue? If so what's the best way to go about replacing it? I'm pretty handy and have replaced memory before and the task of replacing the power supply doesn't frighten me. I'm just hoping for some educated opinions on what the problem could be before I replace parts when the problem could be something else.

Thanks for any help!

James
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
could be a powersupply won't know till you switch it out

we've got parts from here before link
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Could be a power supply issue... ... It could be low ac voltage in (seen it happen)..

Could be something inside the case or on the Mobo dragging it down.

Check your voltage in..

Then.. start unplugging the power connectors from the CD/DVD.. Floppy... and so on..

You can unplug the HD and see if you get POST..

If all else fails give the power supply a shot..

There are a lot of gateway Power Supplys for sale on ebay... <-- and they may all be bad - .

I wouldn't spend more than $30-$40 on trying to fix it..

Don't feel bad if you can't fix it.. just strip it and build a new system...

---> after thought.. - it's always a worth while, last ditch effort to re-seat everthing..

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
with the problem you described 95% of the time it will be the power supply.  4% will be external power issues.  1% will be forces from beyond the grave.  
...my professional opinion.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for the parts link. I'm going to open up the case tonight and check all of the connections, then probably order up a power supply. I'll keep you posted.

James
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top