Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page
5/18/2025 12:25:00 PM EDT










5/18/2025 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
5/18/2025 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember it well.

We had a Scouts Field Day that morning. Heard it blow early in the morning.

This is one of those days that is etched in my memory, like Challenger and 9/11.
5/18/2025 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I could find the Official St. Helens Inspection Team shirt.

5/18/2025 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I was pretty young at the time, but I remember getting in my older brothers truck and we drove out to a hill in the pasture and watched it.
5/18/2025 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend and I were there that crazy morning, fly-fishing and camping in the Randle area about 50 miles away as the crow flies.  Had the mountain blown out a different direction no idea if I would be typing this.   We were 17 didn't hear a thing, but we saw a lot and I will never forget it.  


   
5/18/2025 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd love to turn the clock back.  
5/18/2025 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
5/18/2025 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Did my fourth grade or so science fair project on it that fall.  I was fascinated with volcanoes.
5/18/2025 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Watched it from my bedroom window in Olympia as a kid...
5/18/2025 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember all the ash in Spokane.

Wild that it was 45 years ago.  First time I visited was in 1990, and even then the damage was unreal.
5/18/2025 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I was stationed at Ft. Lewis (2nd Ranger Battalion) when it happened. We'd been watching the local news and updates and articles of people in the area being evacuated and yet some wouldn't leave.
On that day, we felt the building shake once and moments later, someone came running through the barracks yelling that St. Helens had just erupted. Even from about 150 miles away we could see the plume of ash thousands of feet in the sky.
By the next day it looked like Gray Army Airfield was empty as all the helicopters were sent to search for survivors.
Ft Lewis had a light dusting of ash and all of the tv stations showed videos of the devastation. Months later, I was at Yakima Firing Center and the ash was still about six to eight inches deep.  I collected some ash in an empty Coke bottle but have misplaced it over the years since.

5/18/2025 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Walked out back to watch it as it was occurring, had seen several prior smaller eruptions in the past months and had collected ash from one of those.  May 18 though was a completely different deal, just a gigantic mushroom cloud.  My dad had been working one of the roadblocks until about midnight the night before.  Needless to say, the whole area was fucked up for years after the eruption, the Columbia River was jammed full of logs, huge floating pumice rocks, and ash.

I literally saw houses floating down the river, they had been washed away from along the smaller rivers that fed into the Columbia.  Know of one or two people who went out and towed in houses, and fixed them up.  With all the logs in the river, firewood was super easy to get.  And a number of houses were made with lumber made on small sawmills from the logs.

We got lucky with the ash, as the wind was blowing the other direction so it mostly went East.  

I got a front seat view the next day of the forward edge of the debris going by headed downstream, talk about a mess.  Just a flood of gray mud and logs overwhelming the normal river.
5/18/2025 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Had family living in Everett, WA when it happened. They said it took months for them to clean up all of the ash on the property.
5/18/2025 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Lived in Walla Walla. Outside playing,
then complete silence. No birds, bugs,
or dogs were heard. Nothing.

Only a light dusting of ash.
5/18/2025 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Slept right through it living in S Lake Union. Couldn't see a plume, no ash, nothing.
5/18/2025 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I lived in Spokane at the time, but we were camping in ID when it blew. Beautiful morning, which gradually got worse.

At 5pm, the sky was as dark as midnight, with almost no visibility. Scary at the time.
5/18/2025 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Visited the area 11 years after, in 1991.  Still a moonscape. The trees all aligned with the blast direction blows the mind.

DSC_0031-St Helens Damage by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_0029-St Helens Damage by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_0032-St Helens Damage by FredMan, on Flickr

Check out this road they built on ash. No wonder it failed.

DSC_0034-Road Damage by FredMan, on Flickr
5/18/2025 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#18]
There's lots of good tinfoil conspiracy stuff out there about, allegedly, bigfoot critters being injured and killed when that happened, and allegedly Army or NG or men in black having to deal with their treatment and disposal. Just say'n.
5/18/2025 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Go climb that thang. It’s an amazing experience.

5/18/2025 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I remember it perfectly.  Was getting ready for church and heard a thud, thought it was one of my younger siblings jumping or falling off a bed.  Learned shortly afterwards it was St Helens, 200ish miles away
5/18/2025 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Remember when it blew.

Had to stay indoors for days till the ash settled. Not good for bad asthmatics.
5/18/2025 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember the day of the first eruption; I was getting ready to graduate from high school.

Since then I've climbed St. Helens once, and camped in the area and visited the place several times.  It's amazing the changes that have occurred over just 45 years.
5/18/2025 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the reminder! I was 10 years old, crabbing for dungeness crabs off a dock in Allen, WA. I still remember the big plume of ash sitting on the dock. My grandparents in Selah, WA had a lot of ash and pumis fall on them as it drifted eastward.

ROCK6
5/18/2025 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Had a few inches of ash fall in SD when I was there. That was a hell of a boom, and the ash in the air was unbelievable.
5/18/2025 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Still one of the most beautiful places on earth.









5/18/2025 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#26]
It happened almost 15 years before I was born I got the opportunity to hike around the national park there when I was in Washington for work in 2017. Absolutely amazing views and awesome hiking.

Hiked out to a point on Johnston’s ridge 4.5 miles from the visitor center and got a straight on view.
Attached File


A lake on the way to Johnston’s ridge still full of tree trunks that were blown in.
Attached File


Some of the flowers that have grown back, around a blown over tree.
Attached File


One of the trails on the way to Johnston’s ridge, maybe 1.5’ wide
Attached File


Also found where the Grinch lives
Attached File
5/18/2025 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a relative who lived in an area that got ash fall. He mailed us a small jar of ash! It was still in a kitchen cabinet when I moved to Chicago in 1996.
5/18/2025 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I was living in Kennewick when it happened.  I heard the boom and there was an earthquake shortly after.  Then the large billowing clouds and finally all the ash that covered everything.  Very surreal.
5/18/2025 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#29]
The whole nation turned volcano crazy that day.  KFC had a chicken bucket deal that you would get a small container of ash if you upgraded.  I still have that container in storage.  I’m sure it didn’t sell well in the PNW but the rest of the nation wanted ash from the mountain.
5/18/2025 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got home from AIT sitting in my dads living room when it blew everything shook
5/18/2025 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quote History
Quoted:
Go climb that thang. It’s an amazing experience.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55357/IMG_7149-3543337.jpg
View Quote

Yes it is. I still need to get up that other mountain in your pic though.

I wish I'd been around to climb it before it blew. It must have been a sweet climb.
5/18/2025 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember when it happened.  My GF at the time, now my wife, grew up in Portland.  My MIL lived there at the time and she got ashfall on her property.  I've been to the visitor's center.  It was an impressive event.

I bought this soon after it was published, it still sits on my library shelf.
https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/1250/report.pdf
5/18/2025 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Quoted:
The whole nation turned volcano crazy that day.  KFC had a chicken bucket deal that you would get a small container of ash if you upgraded.  I still have that container in storage.  I’m sure it didn’t sell well in the PNW but the rest of the nation wanted ash from the mountain.
View Quote

I have a film container of ash I collected in the park.  I also have a Christmas tree ornament that was made by a local artisan who made them from melting the ash.
5/18/2025 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quote History
Quoted:
It happened almost 15 years before I was born I got the opportunity to hike around the national park there when I was in Washington for work in 2017. Absolutely amazing views and awesome hiking.


View Quote



Great post, thanks!
5/18/2025 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#35]
We had a LOT of ash. I helped my dad improvise emergency air filters for the vehicles. We had to wear masks for days.  (Which made a shitload more sense in 1980 than in 2020).

You can still hit that layer of ash if you dig down into undisturbed soil.
5/18/2025 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quote History
Quoted:
The whole nation turned volcano crazy that day.  KFC had a chicken bucket deal that you would get a small container of ash if you upgraded.  I still have that container in storage.  I’m sure it didn’t sell well in the PNW but the rest of the nation wanted ash from the mountain.
View Quote


Heh yeah, we had truckloads of the stuff.  Basically shoveled it from the sidewalks and rooftops into the wheelbarrow, then to be mixed in the garden beds.
5/18/2025 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Good call, OP. I usually start this thread every year. lol.

I remember 6th grade me being amazed that a volcano erupted in the continental United States.
5/18/2025 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quote History
Quoted:
It happened almost 15 years before I was born I got the opportunity to hike around the national park there when I was in Washington for work in 2017. Absolutely amazing views and awesome hiking.

Hiked out to a point on Johnston’s ridge 4.5 miles from the visitor center and got a straight on view.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/430237/IMG_4001_jpeg-3543402.JPG

A lake on the way to Johnston’s ridge still full of tree trunks that were blown in.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/430237/IMG_4005_jpeg-3543403.JPG

Some of the flowers that have grown back, around a blown over tree.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/430237/IMG_3980_jpeg-3543405.JPG

One of the trails on the way to Johnston’s ridge, maybe 1.5’ wide
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/430237/IMG_3982_jpeg-3543406.JPG

Also found where the Grinch lives
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/430237/IMG_4008_jpeg-3543408.JPG
View Quote


This is the log jam as of a couple years ago. That's looking south from the Mt Margaret area.



Looking up from the pumice plain. Truman trail iirc.



Loowit falls

5/18/2025 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#39]
5/18/2025 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#40]
A look back at the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption
5/18/2025 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Interesting about Oklahoma.

5/18/2025 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm just a few miles from there as we speak.  It is ominous to see it, half missing, knowing what happened.

And I know someone from here in WA whi was born on that day.

The HH6 was in the state, saw ash in Spokane.
5/18/2025 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Got out of school for two weeks.
5/18/2025 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Definitely a sight to see. Smelled like a fireplace chimney outside. Crunchy grit in your mouth.

The following summer was mild and cooler because of the high altitude particulate and ash.
5/18/2025 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quote History
Quoted:
I had a relative who lived in an area that got ash fall. He mailed us a small jar of ash! It was still in a kitchen cabinet when I moved to Chicago in 1996.
View Quote


I was a kid in the Chicago suburbs at the time and definitely remember the ash in the grass. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to see and the mower kicked up a lot of dust from it.
5/18/2025 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quote History
Quoted:
Go climb that thang. It’s an amazing experience.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55357/IMG_7149-3543337.jpg
View Quote


That is a great image!
5/18/2025 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#47]
From 2012.



Couple years ago.



Our favorite camping spot is along one of the Lahars from the eruption. You can see bridge supports where a bridge was washed away.



A few years ago near another camping spot further down the same river we stumbled upon this old bridge deck from a different bridge buried in the dirt, washed a half mile from where it once stood.




5/18/2025 11:15:34 PM EDT
[#48]
I was 5 years old and playing in the lake at my grandparents' house, saw the mushroom cloud coming up and Grandma came out and had me come inside.

I remember being scared that the lava was going to kill us all for a couple years lol, my wife remembers worrying about the same thing, and of course we all played hot lava, where if you touched the ground, you were dead.

We lived in Thurston County about 2 hours away from the mountain, later my gramps and I hunted on that mountain and killed many deer and birds, kind of a spooky place after the eruption though.
5/18/2025 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#49]
St Helens, 2023











5/18/2025 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#50]




Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page