Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2005 10:14:12 PM EDT
My aunts trailer was invaded a few days ago the came in while she was sleeping, she woke up at about 3:30 in the morning and saw her purse dumped over the floor, the front door hanging open, and her car was stolen....

She was sleeping while they were in there, but they got in, and had full access to her trailer, and were aparently only after the purse, and the car but it could have went differently, she lives in a run down crime infested trailer park with her teenage daughter, I'm trying to tell her that she has to look into getting something to protect herself with, or at the minimum an alarm, but shes scared to death of guns, she was in the Navy, and they were training her on the 1911 but had to stop because she was shakeing to much to keep the pistol pointed forward to give you an idea, and she only says a luke warm "I'll look into it" when I mention an alarm, do you have any suggestions on how she could improve her security, and how I could convince her to take action, and if she finnaly decides to get a gun are there any suggestions?....
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
get a dog.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
any suggestions?....

I dont know but leaving the ....

Quoted:
run down crime infested trailer park.

Might be a good start. If not get a dog, gun, alarm.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Hate to say it but  there's a good chance those guys were in her home before as guests. You said she has a teenage daughter.  I could be wrong but I would ask the teenager who she has been inviting over .NOT trying to bash her at all. But sometimes she might not know ,a friend of a friend that came.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
any suggestions?....

Quoted:

No shit. Trailers are mobile.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#5]
move

if you want a gun, try a 9mm  and get some training and practice

good luck

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#6]
ok, for a "non-gun" person- a "J"frame .38 and a day or so of training, lock the doors and all that...

but, no offense, she seems to be an, well, let's just say a person incapable of taking care of
herself.....
it's not your problem
do what you can
if it doesn't work then WALK AWAY

and if you can handle it, buy insurance on her
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
get a dog.

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 1:57:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hate to say it but  there's a good chance those guys were in her home before as guests. You said she has a teenage daughter.  I could be wrong but I would ask the teenager who she has been inviting over .NOT trying to bash her at all. But sometimes she might not know ,a friend of a friend that came.

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:18:58 AM EDT
[#9]
She needs a big dog.  Depending on the age and maturity, her daughter may be the candidate for some handgun training.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:24:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Dog or an alarm system.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:03:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Move.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Dog.  A big one, that she can handle.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#13]
The Tracker is right, if she isn't interested enough in self preservation and the safety of her daughter to take immediate action, then you need to tell her that she is doomed to live life as a victim, she is endangering her daughter by not acting responsibly as a parent, and you wish her well.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#14]
If she'd had a gun they probably would have taken that too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#15]
They found the car....

It was found by city workers ditched in the woods at the bottom of a hill next to the Rouge River in Detroit, the Hub caps were stolen, the engine is makeing a grinding noise, and the radio was tuned to rap, the fact that it was found at the bottom of a hill next to the river back in the woods suggests that they tried to roll it into the river....

The Detroit cops not surpriseingly were not interested in helping (same department that shoved me in the back of a patrol car for standing while white, when I had to go down town for jury duty....), she called them 3 times, and waited with the car for an hour but they never came, so she left then tried the state police, they werent that interested eighther, and told her to have it towed out of the woods, and looked at by the insurence compeny before theyle even look at it, so the car had to sit in the woods in Detroit overnight untill it was towed the next morning, it's in the driveway now, and it still hasn't been looked at by the police, checked for prints, or any other evidence....

She does seem to be showing some mild interest in alarms, and weapons now though....
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:07:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Isn't a home invasion when the door is kicked in and rapid comtrol of the occupants is gained, followed by the looting thing?

This seems more like the burg of an occupied residence.

Glad she didn't know it happened til well after they wer gone.

Get her out of there.

Easy mark, they'll prolly be back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Isn't a home invasion when the door is kicked in and rapid comtrol of the occupants is gained, followed by the looting thing?

Get her out of there.

Yes. It's a burglary with a dramatized poster.

A home invasion is a robbery that occurs in the victims home.

Edit: In Florida, this would be burglary of an occupied dwelling.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#18]
My understanding of home invasion is any breaking, and entering when someones home....
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get her out of there.

Yes. It's a burglary with a dramatized poster.

A home invasion is a robbery that occurs in the victims home.

Edit: In Florida, this would be burglary of an occupied dwelling.

Burg in the 1st degree in NY
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:56:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My understanding of home invasion is any breaking, and entering when someones home....

look up "hot prowler"
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:03:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Not really. It's more a media term or style of robbery named for the locale in which it takes place. It generally involves forced entry of a dwelling known to be occupied. Threats of violence or violence are used to get the goods. Like it was said above, think of it as a strongarm robbery, just not in the street but your home.

Interesting digression...

Chinese gangs excel at home invasions and usually commit them within the Chinese community. These are very lucrative for them for a couple reasons.

1.  Newer to the country chinese immigrants distrust banks, and frequently keep large sums of money in their homes.

2.  Newer to the country chinese immigrants distrust the police and seldom seek assistance from law enforcement.This distrust is a carry over from China where the police are very corrupt and offer no assistance whatsoever.

Nonetheless, the quiet burg of an occupied dwelling that does not wake the residents is not a home invation in the eyes of the law. Even f they wake you up unintentionally and run, it's not a home invasion. If a cat burgular quitetly takes a painting or a jewel from a museum, it ain't a museum invasion.

Certainly your dwelling has been invaded my evildoers
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:03:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
ok, for a "non-gun" person- a "J"frame .38 and a day or so of training, lock the doors and all that...

I can't think of a worse choice.  A Glock 19 AND A HAND HELD flaslight. A G2 Nightrolon is only 34 dollars.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:04:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

look up "hot prowler"

Is that when a gorgeous chick robs you?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#24]
was it from the carbomb?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#25]
did they blow up the car?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#26]
This guy needs to go.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
was it from the carbomb?

+1
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Was the car pulling this trailer which was a bomb ?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I heared they are gonna blow it up.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This guy needs to go.

Is this the same aunt who just had a car bomb explode on her street?

eta:  damned I'm slow.  I'm just gonna +1 Wobblin-Goblin.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Dude, did they set your aunt up the bomb? Tell her to make her time.

All her base are belong to us.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My aunts trailer was invaded a few days ago the came in while she was sleeping, she woke up at about 3:30 in the morning and saw her purse dumped over the floor, the front door hanging open, and her car was stolen....

She was sleeping while they were in there, but they got in, and had full access to her trailer, and were aparently only after the purse, and the car but it could have went differently, she lives in a run down crime infested trailer park with her teenage daughter, I'm trying to tell her that she has to look into getting something to protect herself with, or at the minimum an alarm, .......... do you have any suggestions on how she could improve her security, and how I could convince her to take action, and if she finnaly decides to get a gun are there any suggestions?....

She needs to move. Trailer parks like that need to be torn down and the occupants relocated and perhaps allowed to return after the park is rebuilt. The problem is often absentee landlord ownership; all they care about is getting that lot rental, they don't care that their lack of screening of occupants and poor maintenance creates problems.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, I'm learning that shooting without knowing for sure what you are shooting at is cool as long as you are afraid or believe you are being invaded.  Two or three nights of gunfire at any noise outside should make her less of a target.  Just make sure to let the bad guy get in one good kick first.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Who's got the "I'm an attention whore" pic?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#35]
If your aunts daughter is a Hottie, she and the Aunt can park the trailer in my yard.  They just can't barrow my car...

ETA:

We need family pics!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
any suggestions?....

Quoted:

No shit. Trailers are mobile.

To varying degrees....
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#38]
yeah get her a gun and start shooting in a trailer court
Had 2 trailer court shootings around here one a marlin 22 and the other a SKS
Do not hide in a trailer (or behind 5-6) if a guy is shooting at you with a SKS
heck t I think they said the 22 made it through 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top