Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2012 8:59:42 PM EDT
I am looking to get a nice case for my new polytech ak.
Mostly for home storage and taking out. So Ideally something sturdy and lockable.
I really like the pelican cases, but I don't like the fact that you have to cut the foam (then I can't use it for another gun in the future).
I've seen some plano cases with squares that you take out and put back.

Basically looking for what your favorite case is. Ideally, under $200. Doesn't matter if its a single or double rifle case. Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:02:00 PM EDT
For a nice case, you cut the foam.

You can always replace the foam afterward.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:02:42 PM EDT
you're better off cutting the foam and replacing it if you want to change rifles, the pluck out squares kinda suck and I dont think you can put them in back in once you pluck them out, replacement foam can be found online pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:03:42 PM EDT
I really like the pelican 1700, but looking online replacement foam is at least $60. Thats almost half the price of the case...
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:05:51 PM EDT
Cutting the foam is definitely worth the trouble.

Keep an extra piece of foam for each "set" if you like.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:06:30 PM EDT
Look around locally for foam. There's a place near me that I think mostly services upholstery shops or something. I've replaced the foam in a bigass wheeled starlight case and I think it ran me $20. That was five years or so ago.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2012 9:10:47 PM EDT by BUDLIGHT906]
www.thefoamfactory.com/ has decent prices on foam, there's a thread on how to cut foam around here somewhere

ETA Here
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:13:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BUDLIGHT906:
www.thefoamfactory.com/ has decent prices on foam, there's a thread on how to cut foam around here somewhere

ETA Here

That's a bit intimidating haha.
But my cutout would really only be one for the rifle and one for mags.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:15:14 PM EDT
Slit the foam up the long edge to hide a cleaning rod too. Not a snake, a rod. Sometimes you need one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:22:44 PM EDT
I like my pelican 1720. I actually cut the foam from a 1750 case that I had an extra set of. If you arent too keep on cutting, Get the pick an dpluck foam inserts. the little 1" squares that you can remove a general outlive for your AK and use it for other stuff as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:26:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2012 9:55:38 PM EDT by BUDLIGHT906]
Originally Posted By comma:
Originally Posted By BUDLIGHT906:

ETA Here

That's a bit intimidating haha.
But my cutout would really only be one for the rifle and one for mags.

The Plano 108360 case was on sale at walmart on black friday for $39 and they have the pluck out foam, I bought two of them last year. Pretty decent case but I don't think you can find them for that cheap anymore.

They're about $100 everywhere now
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:38:08 PM EDT
Comma, I bought a bunch of those really nice Plano cases during that WalMart clearance sale last year. While they are a step below my Starlights and Pelicans, they are still very VERY nice heavy duty lockable single rifle cases-and they have the pull and pluck foam. If you pay for shipping, and make a donation (in any denomination) to a charity that helps wounded GIs I'll give you one…if you want If you have already donated I'll take your word for it.

I have a couple of extras that are brand spanking new, and I'd be happy to part with one of them if needed. My Sig 556 Patrols travel in these cases, and I like them a lot.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:04:24 PM EDT
I bought something that looks very close to this from hobby lobby.

One I bought was cheaper. But it suffices for the occasional foam cutting needs.

It's definitely worth doing this way. A knife just doesn't cut it with foam.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:15:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CJan_NH:
Comma, I bought a bunch of those really nice Plano cases during that WalMart clearance sale last year. While they are a step below my Starlights and Pelicans, they are still very VERY nice heavy duty lockable single rifle cases-and they have the pull and pluck foam. If you pay for shipping, and make a donation (in any denomination) to a charity that helps wounded GIs I'll give you one…if you want If you have already donated I'll take your word for it.

I have a couple of extras that are brand spanking new, and I'd be happy to part with one of them if needed. My Sig 556 Patrols travel in these cases, and I like them a lot.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Outstanding gesture, Sir.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:21:03 AM EDT
Try Army Surplus for Less.com. Go to hunting,click on it. Go down to hardside cases,you'll seeWinchester gun cases under $100.00. Good Luck.
Top Top