Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 4:59:18 PM EDT
Hey all,
Sis got me a $50 amazon gift card, so I'ma thinkin I'll get a flight sim.  What's a good one?  I've heard that the IL2: forgotten battles pack is good.  Any recs for a sim that I don't need a super computer to run?

Rich
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Falcon 4.0

Microsoft Combat Flight Sim (any version)

If you are into space flight sims, Descent Freespace 1 and 2 are exellent.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Falcon 4.0
Microsoft Combat Flight Sim (any version)

If you are into space flight sims, Descent Freespace 1 and 2 are exellent.

Big Ol' +1, Yea Haw to Dog Fights
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Falcon 4.0 has just been re-released as 'Falcon 4.0 Allied Force'

Microsoft Flight Sim, or X-Plane are good for the general-aviation fans (eg no combat)...

The IL2 series is basically one of the best WWII titles...

And of course, for you arcade flight fans, we have Heroes of the Pacific and the (somewhat old) MS CFS series...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I would stay away from Falcon 4.0.It is THE best flight sim out,but the friggin thing is so realistic,it takes a while to learn to fly.It is badass though

Oh yeah,takes a good computer to run(properly) it as well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Oh yeah,takes a good computer to run(properly) it as well.

Falcon 4.0??

It doesnt take much of a system anymore to run that one.  A lot of the gaming techology in use by even low end computers today was considered "unpossible" in the release days of Falcon 4.0.

Doesnt make it a bad game though, not even close.  Falcon 4 rules.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess you are right,when I got the game a long time ago,the game was choppy because I had just above the recommended specs.

it was hard to learn though
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

it was hard to learn though

Ill give ya that

Dropping cluster bombs on North Korean troops brings warm feelings to my heart.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Back to Baghdad was arguably the most realistic F-16 sim -- it even had an option to use a seperate monochrome monitor for radar -- but was extremely limited in scope and probably tough to find nowadays.

Falcon 4.0 and its offspring are fine choices but for the difficult learning curve -- no instant gratification here.

IL-2 and its recent sibling Pacific Fighters are outstanding but also on the technically intimidating side.

For the quickest (and probably cheapest) air combat fix go NovaLogic (F-22, F-16, MiG-29), JetFighter III or IV (although running without a 3Dfx card might prove troublesome) or almost any of the Jane's titles, particularly F-15 and F/A-18 Simulator.

Most are pretty old as asceding to the realism crowd's demand for more, uhhh... realism just about killed off the genre.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#9]
i talked to a guy today who used the microsoft flight sim and downloaded the type of aircraft and the area he was going to test in for his private pilots liscense said it was the best training aid that he had!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top