Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 3:10:12 PM EDT

This photo of Anne Hathaway and Steve Carell getting into retro-character for 2008's Get Smart makes me feel kind of seasick. Carell, I love (I'm so original, I know). He brings so much to the big screen, even in throwaway parts, like shooting hoops with Will Ferrell in Melinda and Melinda—he has a quiet zest. Hathaway, however, kind of overdoes it, which doesn't do it for me. I think of her chomping on that grilled Jarlsberg sandwich in The Devil Wears Prada with way too much gusto. Or working those wigs and that ball-busting accent in Brokeback Mountain, and again, it is not a happy thought.

However, most insidery suit-wearing or coffee-getting movie industry types are all kinds of optimistic about this movie. And maybe Anne's overacting will actually serve the movie well. Hey, Mel Brooks material is meant to be taken to the bulging-eyed extreme.

In any case, pretty picture. Funny picture? We'll see.

images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=images.eonline.com/eol_images/Articles/20070411/425.get.smart.041107.jpg&imgrefurl=www.eonline.com/print/index.jsp%3FcontentType%3DreelGirl%26uuid%3Dad0fbe5c-b292-42e3-81fe-148c03061d4e&h=315&w=425&sz=53&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=A5tcNBIY2suWfM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=126&prev=

IMDb

Let's hope they don't ruin it! Agent 99 is looking good, let's see if Steve Carell can pull off Maxwell Smart.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
That guy is pretty goofy, he might pull it off well. I loved the show as a kid.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Dunno, just won't be that same without that characteristic voice...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Missed it by this much... didn't they.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

"Would you believe..."
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Double tap!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

"Would you believe..."

SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! This should only be discussed in the Cone of Silence!

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

"Would you believe..."

SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! This should only be discussed in the Cone of Silence!

www.emergentchaos.com/images/sept-05/cone-of-silence.jpg

What? I can't hear you?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Ah, many nights staying up late to watch Get Smart on KSHB 41 in Kansas City in the 80's...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ah, many nights staying up late to watch Get Smart on KSHB 41 in Kansas City in the 80's...

I grew up on Get Smart,

I bet a good 80% of my education came from Maxwell and 99.

That might explain a few thing......

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top