User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2007 9:18:18 AM EDT
http://www.jta.org/cgi-bin/iowa/breaking/103645.html

=====================================

Watertown severs ADL ties
08/15/2007

A Massachusetts town council unanimously voted to end its partnership with the Anti-Defamation League's anti-bigotry program.

In an 8-0 vote, the Watertown Town Council moved Tuesday to rescind its participation in the No Place for Hate program, the Boston Globe reported. The move came under immense pressure from the town's large Armenian community, which is angry over the ADL's unwillingness to acknowledge the killings of Armenians during World War I as genocide.

The ADL says it does not deny the genocide, it just isn't willing to affirm it.

On Monday, the committee overseeing the No Place for Hate program in Watertown met with local ADL officials to seek clarification of their position. Will Twombly, the committee's co-chairman, told the Globe the committee finds ADL's position "unacceptable."

I don't know wether to laugh or sigh, but the irony is too grand to simply pass it up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
http://www.jta.org/cgi-bin/iowa/breaking/103645.html

Watertown severs ADL ties
08/15/2007

A Massachusetts town council unanimously voted to end its partnership with the Anti-Defamation League's anti-bigotry program.

In an 8-0 vote, the Watertown Town Council moved Tuesday to rescind its participation in the No Place for Hate program, the Boston Globe reported. The move came under immense pressure from the town's large Armenian community, which is angry over the ADL's unwillingness to acknowledge the killings of Armenians during World War I as genocide.

On Monday, the committee overseeing the No Place for Hate program in Watertown met with local ADL officials to seek clarification of their position. Will Twombly, the committee's co-chairman, told the Globe the committee finds ADL's position "unacceptable."

I don't know wether to laugh or sigh, but the irony is too grand to simply pass it up.

the ADL's unwillingness to acknowledge the killings of Armenians during World War I as genocide.

I'm shocked at the ADL's position.

There is no denying a holocaust involving European Jews before and during WW II and no denying a holocaust involving Armenians around 1915 (IIRC).  The Armenian slaughter is now generally recognized as the first holocaust of the 20th century though the word "holocaust" was not invented until 1945.

It is not necessary for all of a race, religion or group to have been killed for there to have been a holocaust; it is only necessary for there to have been INTENT to kill all.

5sub

Again, IIRC the Turks were striking back at the Armenians for fighting with Russia.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Sounds typical for the ADL, what a bunch of morons.  I had the chance
to go to a freedom festival where a revolutionary war reenactment
was underway.  The ADL had the event listed as a "white supremacy event".
Unfortunately they didnt archive the event.  Guess I've linked to it to many times.

Read the "events" carefully.  One is a Columbus Day celebration  :

www.adl.org/learn/Events_2001/events_2003_flashmap.asp
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Long before the UN Resolution on genocide, the international community condemned the Armenian Genocide as a crime against humanity

The ADL is without a leg to stand on.

5sub
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#4]

But in 303 Armenia became the first country in the world to adopt Christianity as its national religion.

Did NOT know this little fact.

5sub
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top