Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2002 9:17:29 PM EDT
Ok....so I have been a negligent gun owner.

I bought a M1 Garand some 5 years ago at an auction.....and never shot it.

Sure I took it out of the gun room to clean it now and again....and to watch WWII movies of course. ( It saw as much of band of brothers as I did!)  But I never got around to shooting it.  I even had a few hundred rounds of 30-06 (for my FN49).
Its a H&R with a Springfield barrel...not much of a looker as the stock is very dark with many dings etc.

Anyway....I took it out to the range tonight ( and my kids to Jr Archery).  Saddled up to the 100m line and ...

Bam....low left corner.
click click click....

Still left and low.

Click click click......Hight right..

Click click

BULL!

BULL

BULL

BULL

BULL!!

WOoo Hoooooooo!

Damn nice shooter....I feel real bad for neglecting her for so long!!

I lent it out to a couple of the dads that had come out with their families for Jr.Archery (we attract quite a few non members each friday for kids archery) Their smiles told the story!! LOL

Two of them had never fired a centre fire rifle before...!!

Anyway I promised to bring it out to the Open House at the club in September for them to get some more time on it if they want..

You just had to Know that it was invented by a CANADIAN!!!!

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok thats it I'm getting one too. I'm 53 years old. Took M.T. training in ROTC and used the M1. Was in a precission drill team and used the M1. You wouldn't believe what we did with those rifles! Took it apart and put it back together blindfolded and to this day I don't own one! [>(]
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 4:50:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, John C. always referred to himself as a FRENCH Canadian.  You know how those Quebecers are about still being pissed at the rest of the country [:D]. When I was a teenage member of a Jr. Rifle club whose advisor/instuctor knew Garand, we used to go ice skating in his LIVING ROOM. He had installed pipes under the floor, like hockey rinks do, to be able to skate year round. Mrs. Garand liked having the kids over (they never had any), and he tolerated us,I guess for her sake.

Incidentally, if you want to impress your friends and confound your enemies, John C. pronounced his last name GARand, acccent on the first part not the second. I'm sure he'd be pleased with the renewed interest in the M1 (and M14 clones) that's occured in recent years.  He was very proud of his achievements.
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 4:58:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Get it from the CMP but be prepared to wait. I ordered mine 5/9/02...still waiting
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 5:05:08 AM EDT
[#4]
They are truly a blast to shoot.  I just love the "sproing!" after the eigth round, when I have to wander around to find the clip. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 5:23:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh yes the sproing!!

You should have seen the look on the face of one of the dads whom I had not warned about it..

He thought he had busted it!!

LOL

Deadeye....you should get one and create all new memories!
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 5:33:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's one of mine, new wood but otherwise USGI.  The bayo is for those days when I can't shoot worth a damn.  I charge the target and hack it up. [:D]

[img]www.dimensional.com/~mwluse/garand.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 5:59:24 AM EDT
[#7]
As much as i like more modern weapons, the Garand and M14 especially are among my favorites.

Nailing a rock at roughly 100 meters with my employer´s M1 Garand at the yearly shoot we host.

[img]http://fi.msnusers.com/_Secure/0QgAAAN8VHbJaxTFgWT4RTaTGfEFWPnDsI!g*tUMe6i5nH6hH9xFOfhQ4QNIlwzK8kbTXBQJCMauQGKBWpt3wm!PDGt4KPOjj2Lcvhz3dLV8/Meik%C3%A4l%C3%A4inen-radalla_d.jpg[/img]

With a H&R M14

[img]http://fi.msnusers.com/_Secure/0QgD7d90V2bFaxTFgWT4RTaTGfEFWPnDsI!g*tUMe6i5nH6hH9xFOfi70flSZQxNaihT1eH6*7u2I7obYy45*ShduVLJMizaSbExZvlHZyLc/Meik%C3%A4l%C3%A4inen-radalla_b.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 6:25:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Finest battle rifle ever made.  My son has a beautiful near-new M1.  He is a finish carpenter by trade.  He bought the rifle from a friend who owns our local range where it had been stored for years.  It was originally an antique Springfield Armory model.  He took it to a good local smith to have all of the worn parts replaced and check fired.  There was not much wrong...but its all new now.  Even the barrel was in great shape.  My kid then purchased and finished all new furniture and viola...new rifle!

His "new" Garand got its baptism of fire at a military combat range, mixed rifle match last year.  Although my kid was at an distinct disadvantage against the rest of us with black rifles and commie guns as far as rounds down range in a hurry goes, at long range (400-500m) he ruled.  It was a real blast to see him nail the long range targets when virtually none of the rest of us could get there with any sort of regularity especially while using the standard GI peep sight.  All of us mouse gun shooters were really impressed with that battle rifle.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#9]
ok, that's it!

I'm calling the CMP on monday to order a case of '06 for mine!  (all I've got left is 'match' ammo.. not worth 'wasting' on plinkin')

...A lovely SA.. Korean War era, aquired NEW, via the [b]DCM[/b](now CMP) @~$200.00  [:D]
(and it only has about 100 rounds thru her!)

I LOVE the sound of that clip leaving the rifle (Schwing..)[:)]

Just hold one in your hands....[i] mmmmmm[/i]

then fire it... [i]oh yeah![/i]

[sigh]

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#10]
The sound for me is more of a "SPROING! BAM! DINGDINGDING!!!"

That's what happens when you shoot under a metal roof. First time it happened the lady rushed outside,  thinking my gun had blown up.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ok, that's it!

I'm calling the CMP on monday to order a case of '06 for mine!  (all I've got left is 'match' ammo.. not worth 'wasting' on plinkin')

...A lovely SA.. Korean War era, aquired NEW, via the [b]DCM[/b](now CMP) @~$200.00  [:D]
(and it only has about 100 rounds thru her!)

I LOVE the sound of that clip leaving the rifle (Schwing..)[:)]

Just hold one in your hands....[i] mmmmmm[/i]

then fire it... [i]oh yeah![/i]

[sigh]

View Quote

The CMP is out of surplus 30.06 I heard, might want to check the website.

They also only have 4000 or less Danash M1s left, are out of WRA and HR M1s with a 2-3 year wait and are almost out of 1903s.

Order your rifles now or be left out it seems.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ok thats it I'm getting one too. I'm 53 years old. Took M.T. training in ROTC and used the M1. Was in a precission drill team and used the M1. You wouldn't believe what we did with those rifles! Took it apart and put it back together blindfolded and to this day I don't own one! [>(]
View Quote
My experience exactly!  Same age, too.  We did the Queen Ann salute with them.  Also, marching in a circle, tossing to the guy behind you with the rifle horizontal, while catching the one coming from in front of you.  Also, stamping the rifle, leaving it, the guy behind you gets it while you get the one in front of you while it is still vertical.

When you tap the M1, it makes the neatest click from the bolt opening just a hair and then snapping shut, and when 15 guys do it at the same time, it sounds great.

The only difference between us is that I have 3 WWII Springfields.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p4e58aedf52ecd22a969870e53be51e6d/fd723b02.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/p971a39eac180c7b23a9d9fac31d60c86/fdbfbf49.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/pcd5d8d6e12cd948f812e60d68974df6d/fd723b01.jpg[/img]

You must have 3 so you can 'stack arms'.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Storm...if you think the Garand is fun, pick up a M1 Carbine! They're great for plinking, and for letting kids/women play with. Not as accurate past 150 yds, but in close they're more fun than the Garand.

30 Rd mags are around $25, 15 are $10-15. And ammo for the carbine is much cheaper than the 30-06.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I shot the M-1 match at Nationals yesterday following the Rattle Battle...  I forgot what  a blast shooting that rifle can be!  After spending a week with a mousegun, it was nice to be able to shoot a gun that has some personality!  ...i didn't do to bad, either; i shot well enough to pick up a bronze.  (darn offhand)  Just for the record, the rifle is a beautiful CMP H&R M-1.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish you people would just be quiet.[;)][;)][;)]
 I had the Garand bug under control and now you go and stir things up again.  [stick]

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Buy the "Holbrook Device" if you don't want the clip to auto-eject.
Elininates SLEDs and 2-rd clips, allows topping up.
Drop-in installation.  Press mag latch to eject clip (no more chasing after clips, pocket 'en from the rifle.
View Quote

The "what, who and how" device? Please tell us more.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The CMP is out of surplus 30.06 I heard, might want to check the website.
View Quote

[>(]

it's true!

I just checked the website [:(]
([url=http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/ammo.htm]CMP ammo page[/url])

I guess I did too much of this: [sleep]

[>(][>(][>(]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
My experience exactly!  Same age, too.  We did the Queen Ann salute with them.  Also, marching in a circle, tossing to the guy behind you with the rifle horizontal, while catching the one coming from in front of you.  Also, stamping the rifle, leaving it, the guy behind you gets it while you get the one in front of you while it is still vertical.

When you tap the M1, it makes the neatest click from the bolt opening just a hair and then snapping shut, and when 15 guys do it at the same time, it sounds great.

The only difference between us is that I have 3 WWII Springfields.

[url]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p4e58aedf52ecd22a969870e53be51e6d/fd723b02.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/p971a39eac180c7b23a9d9fac31d60c86/fdbfbf49.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/pcd5d8d6e12cd948f812e60d68974df6d/fd723b01.jpg[/url]

You must have 3 so you can 'stack arms'.
View Quote
Yup! I can still hear the  sound of a double clack before going to shoulder arms! We used to do some pretty amazing stuff with those rifles! Still kinda gives me a chubby just thinking about it! SO...you have three huh? If you gave me one you would still have 2.[rolleyes] You can only shoot one at a time ya know![:D]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Same here.  I'm irritated at myself about not ordering more M2 from the CMP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top