Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/21/2014 11:37:24 PM EDT
Who's heard of the upcoming movie 'Fury'?  It looks very interesting.  From what I understand it's about a Sherman tank crew late war in Germany.  I've read comments from people who worked on set and from what they say, it's supposedly going to be a game changer, like 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'Band of Brothers'.

It's supposed to be released this Fall.  I can't wait, it better live up to the hype.

Here's a large thread about it with pics and crew member comments.
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/180776-fury/

It's the first movie to use an original Tiger tank in the filming.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The first time a real Tiger tank has been used for a movie. I'm excited for the film.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first time a real Tiger tank has been used for a movie. I'm excited for the film.
View Quote

And Liebermuster!
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
My excitement for it is tempered by the fact that Shia Lebeuf is in it.
Hopefully his character dies early on...
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Labeuf ruins everything he's in for me.

Might have to check it out for the Tiger tank though. I've had a fascination with tanks since I was a little kid. The Tiger, King Tiger, and Panther were some of the best tank designs of WWll.

As a side note, if your familiar with the Haynes automotive manuals, they put out a owner's manual for the Tiger.It actually documents the restoration of a Tiger tank, rather than an actual owners manual. Still I couldn't resist. An interesting read none the less.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#5]
A couple new photos at the link.  Still looking great.

http://www.people.com/article/brad-pitt-fury-exclusive-photos

But the film's biggest stars may just be the ones made of metal, including an authentic German Tiger tank on loan from a museum.

"I couldn't tell you how much insurance this thing had on it – it was crazy," says Ayer. "It actually ended up performing really well. It's like the tank was happy to get out of the barn and run around. These tanks like to run hard. That's what they're built for."
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:13:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My excitement for it is tempered by the fact that Shia Lebeuf is in it.
Hopefully his character dies early on...
View Quote

hilarious. That made my day.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Second time a real tiger tank was used in a movie. First was Theirs is the Glory about operation market garden filmed in 1946.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Second time a real tiger tank was used in a movie. First was Theirs is the Glory about operation market garden filmed in 1946.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless I'm mistaken, that was a Konigstiger was it not?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a knocked out Tiger II and maybe a knocked out Tiger I.  I can't remember if the Panther in the movie was running or not.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The Panther in Fury is legit, but it's an empty shell that's only outwardly cosmetically restored, belongs to a collector in England (not Wheatcroft).
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly Panthers and Tiger 2s but there was at least one Tiger 1.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/curry2525/theirsistheglory_zps5d09a410.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/curry2525/theirsistheglory_zps5d09a410.jpg

Very cool, I never knew that. Thanks! Wonder what ever came of that Tiger.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:02:40 AM EDT
[#13]
A sneak peek has been released.  Looks great so far!

http://youtu.be/ahFWvk1NgfY
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#14]
The official trailer came out today.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-OGvZoIrXpg
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, gotta see it
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm there.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh hells yes. Brad Pitt, I love you.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't mind Shia, I think he picks a lot of bad roles and has scripts with poor dialogue. Wouldn't give him the keys to my ride, though.

Didn't like Pitt until I saw "12 Monkeys." Then I was convinced he could act.

I'm a huge armor-fiend and have been wanting a good tank movie. I even wrote a screenplay for a mini-series set in the Fulda Gap.   So I am going to this opening day.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#19]
The Bovington Tiger 131 is the true star of the movie, the only fully operational PzKpfw VI Ausf. H left in the world. They even built several mockups to "destroy" during filming. I will try to stomach Pitt and LeBouf in order to see the movie.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm excited for this. Not enough tank movies around. I like how they had the World of Tanks guys go out there and take a look too, thought that was a kinda interesting way to get in with their fan base. Panzer 88 needs to get out of Dev Hell too and come out. I want to see the main gun on a tiger take a poke at a demon.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#21]
The details on this movie look amazing. I'm very much looking forward to it. It also has a real Panther in it as well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Go on Facebook and like Axis Track Services. They have pictures up of the various film pieces from Fury, including the replica Tiger they build on a CVRT hull for filming, and the Sherman filming replica too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#24]

How so?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#25]
A short featurette with some new footage and behind the scene footage.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=deX5GNS0YTM

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Another short behind the scenes vid.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nwX5q_nlYEQ
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Bad news:  This movie is sadistic, jingoistic, and militaristic!

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

hahahaha what a limpdick. I bet he's the kind of guy that looks at red meat and goes, "ew".
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL!!! Oh Noes
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Saw it tonight. It was excellent.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I saw it last night, and it was really good. Some people bitch about the graphic violence but I think it drives home some of the realities of war. The acting was great, and each actor made their character their own. I highly recommend going to this movie!

Now its time to wait for American Sniper to hit the theaters
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Saw it tonight. It was excellent.
View Quote

Thats great to hear.. I have faith in you
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:23:37 AM EDT
[#35]
The movie has just about every cliché in it but the second half of it was honestly terrific. And believe it or not, while he spends most of the movie in tears Shia Laboef or however you say his name isn't too bad in it. He's believable in his role.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Saw it last night.  It was very good.  Glad to see life of an Armor crew portrayed.  I'm a 19D not a Tanker, but it was very cool.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I saw it last night, and it was really good. Some people bitch about the graphic violence but I think it drives home some of the realities of war. The acting was great, and each actor made their character their own. I highly recommend going to this movie!

Now its time to wait for American Sniper to hit the theaters
View Quote

I saw it this morning. I liked it. I was hoping for more violence & gore.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Tag, for further discussion after I see it this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:17:41 AM EDT
[#41]
It was OK.

I particularly enjoyed the Waffen SS doing a frontal approach to a detracked tank that's firing at them with everything it's got.  And then doing a frontal again. and again.

Also enjoyed the nice quiet conversations down in the hull, while that sucker is rolling.

sigh. I had hopes.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Best job I ever had!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Just  got home from seeing this.
Overall excellent film one of the best WWII films ever, very gritty, very realistic.
I was a Bradley Gunner in the Army and it felt very familiar.

The only scene I thought was off the mark was in the German women's apartment after the other crew members crash the dinner.
It was even awkward to watch and I kept wondering what the point was.  Okay the FNG fell in love and Aldo Raines just wanted a quiet meal, so...what?
They we all acting out of character in disrespecting their O'Captain, My Captain.  They became very unsympathetic.  
Brads feeble attempt's at containing his breakdowns (ala Captain Miller) were forced.
And I could have done with a little less Bible thumping.

But the combat pieces were nearly perfect.  LOVED them.  The Tiger duel will be remembered as THE highlight of this film. Exceptional in my opinion.

Possible anachronistic gun goof.  What were the grips of Brad's pistol made out of, glass?  I don't think Lexan was invented yet, maybe clear molded epoxy?

Great film.
8/10

A must have for my war films collection.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#44]
[b]
Possible anachronistic gun goof.  What were the grips of Brad's pistol made out of, glass?  I don't think Lexan was invented yet, maybe clear molded epoxy?
View Quote

Plexiglass from a downed aircraft or glider?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I saw it today as well.  My grandfather was a Sherman Tank driver in the Pacific.

Pretty intense overall. Story was a bit formulaic. Ending epic fight was pretty good, if a bit ... unrealistic. Outcome was pretty much equal to Private Ryan's. Shia LaBeouf actually did a great job, first time I've seen his character and Not Him. Showed some hypocrisy in relationships between Us and Them as well as between the crew members. Tried to show some Germans as not all monsters, showed us as a few monsters among good men. I think Private Ryan is probably the better WWII film, but this is worth seeing. The battle with the (actually pulled out of a museum) Tiger was really cool. Makes me want to fire up War Thunder and work on my tankery skills...

And of course, makes me think hard about what our combat veterans went through, not just in WWII, but Korea, Nam, Iraq and A-Stan. Holy shit. Part of me is SO glad I didn't have to take a turn shooting at people in anger. Part of me wants to know if I could have done anything near what some of these guys had to do. Another part of me is really glad I can sleep safely in my bed at night because of what men like them do for all of us.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I know the story was to have the crew make a last stand and die Alamo style but it would have been a
better plan to take the two turret mounted MG's (Ma Deuce and the .30 cal.) and set them a couple of
hundred yards away and use them as over-watch, raking anyone who got in the tanks blind spots.
Also make the enemy think they were against a larger force.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]

I cannot remember what they were made of (an early clear plastic if I remember correctly), but there were private purchase grips just like that during the war.  I've seen a couple of original examples with pics of loved ones under them.

From what I read, in the original (director's?) cut that was about 4 hours long, we see Wardaddy drive drunk and kill his wife/gf in a car wreck.  The judge tells him he can either rot in prison or go die for his country.  The photos we see in his pistol grips are of his wife/gf that we never saw in the theatrical cut.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Good movie but very depressing.  One question I had, was the M4 really that roomy in the interior?  The one I saw seemed smaller but it was many years ago and I never got to see the inside.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]

All jokes aside, a man near me had a pistol with grips made from a glider window. Ironically, he was a tank commander in WWII. He just died a few months ago.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I know the story was to have the crew make a last stand and die Alamo style but it would have been a

better plan to take the two turret mounted MG's (Ma Deuce and the .30 cal.) and set them a couple of

hundred yards away and use them as over-watch, raking anyone who got in the tanks blind spots.

Also make the enemy think they were against a larger force.

View Quote

Good idea, but they didn't have a working radio so you wouldn't be able to coordinate between groups.  It might have been more of a problem than a help.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top