Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 7:46:52 AM EDT
No doubt he's in the next POTUS race.  Why did this take so long, Bill?

HH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frist orders border security first
By Charles Hurt
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
March 16, 2006

Majority Leader Bill Frist, frustrated by the sluggish debate over immigration reform at the committee level, plans to introduce a bill that deals solely with border security as early as today.
   Mr. Frist's bill, according to aides on both sides of the aisle, does not include a guest-worker provision or a process for handling the 12 million illegal aliens already in the U.S., divisive topics that have stalled immigration legislation in the Senate Judiciary Committee.
   The bill would beef up security along the U.S.-Mexico border, provide funding for thousands more Border Patrol agents and build short sections of fencing in key traffic areas.
   However, the bipartisan majority in the Senate that also supports some form of a guest-worker program could still try to put it in Mr. Frist's bill.
   The Tennessee Republican, who is widely thought to be seeking the Republican nomination for president, had promised conservatives that he would bring up an enforcement-only bill and begin debate on the topic on the Senate floor before the end of this month.
   Frist spokesman Bob Stevenson declined to comment on any plans except to say that the Senate will "definitely" take up immigration reform March 27.
   But to do so, the Senate Judiciary Committee would need to complete its work before next week's St. Patrick's Day recess, a prospect that seems increasingly unlikely. After three weeks of debating a proposal by Chairman Arlen Specter, the committee is still haggling over the easy details that were supposed to be completed right away.
   The only other way to have a bill ready by month's end would be for Mr. Frist to introduce his own bill immediately onto the floor.
   Judiciary members on both sides, however, cautioned Mr. Frist not to bypass them.
   "The majority leader is wrong," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, California Democrat. "It's impossible to build a political consensus in that time. We need time. We need time to talk."
   In a letter to Mr. Frist yesterday, Mrs. Feinstein and two other Judiciary Democrats pleaded for the majority leader to remain on the sidelines.
   "The Judiciary Committee has unique expertise on immigration law and, under the leadership of Chairman Specter, is working diligently to mark up a comprehensive immigration reform bill," wrote Mrs. Feinstein and Sens. Patrick J. Leahy of Vermont and Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts. "The Senate would be well-served by the benefit of a complete committee markup, even if a brief extension of time is required to produce one."

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Did Frist grow a spine??  Better late then never I guess.

Shok
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag for when I have time to read and properly respond.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#3]
"The majority leader is wrong," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, California Democrat. "It's impossible to build a political consensus in that time. We need time. We need time to talk."

You know, even though I thought it wasimpossible, EVERY time that cunt opens her mouth, something even dumber comes out than the last idiocy she uttered... We DO NOT need "time" - we NEED to seal our borders IMMEDIATELY!!! You have to wonder about the retards that keep voting for her, to be honest - do they not hear the stupidity that comes out of her mouth???

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Build the WALL!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Blah, blah blah... blabbitty blah blah.

same bullshit, different day.

we have mexican troops coming onto our soil.... and NO response from ANYONE in the .gov.

all pussies untill proven otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You know, even though I thought it wasimpossible, EVERY time that cunt opens her mouth, something even dumber comes out than the last idiocy she uttered... We DO NOT need "time" - we NEED to seal our borders IMMEDIATELY!!! You have to wonder about the retards that keep voting for her, to be honest - do they not hear the stupidity that comes out of her mouth???

- georgestrings

they are Californians, gaybayers at that!
they understand "Dude, we need to sit down and discuss border peace, I mean we should help the needy Mexicans, like it must be totally a bummer to live next door to filthy rich people"
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine the border
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Hell the Chinese did it long long ago!  We should follow their lead for once!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Shok

The Republican's finally realized Bush's ship is sinking fast so they are all jumping ship....about damn time.  Maybe now Congress will finally look at and fix some domestic issues.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Shok

This is a pretty big power play by Frist.  Definately posturing for '08.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Mrs. Feinstein and Sens. Patrick J. Leahy of Vermont and Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts.

no wonder nothings been done.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I called his office and said thank you for introducing enforcement only legislation and that if he was serious about doing something about immigration that I would vote for him if he ran for potus.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Of the Republican leadership, I like Frist the best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top