Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/18/2009 4:43:59 PM EDT
I was listening to the Opie and Anthony Show and they were talking about fraternities and the things guys do to become "members" or pledges or whatever you call them. One fraternity had a goat tied up and told the pledges they had to fuck it, another one had them put doughnuts on their dick. What's the point of this? Maybe I don't understand because I just went to a community college.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're willing to do 'X' then you're certainly willing to do 'Y' and 'Z' should the need arise.  It's a way to prove that you really *want* to join, and it proves to the other members that you're willing to do what it takes.  At the end of it, you all have an embarrassing shared experience, you've all been through the same hell, and thus a bond is forged.

That's the idea anyway, though I doubt many of them even know that any more.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
i was a pledge for a while quit because they wanted $400 per semester.... no thanks i'll drink alone
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a high school friend that tried to tell me getting through the pledge process (specifically their "hell week") was worse than boot camp.  Although I've never been through the pledge process, I told him to shut the fuck up before I punched him in the throat.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Do "professional" fraternities exist? My sister was in a "professional" agriculture-related sorority in college, they focused on community work and good, wholesome stuff instead of partying and silly initiations.  My sister was also elected President of her sorority.  Sigma Alpha at U of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
i've heard of frats where they take a peice of toast and tell all the pledges to blank off on it, and the last guy done has to eat the toast.

but the trick is the first guy who whips out his pecker gets booted.

Really the pledges spend their time scrubbing the floors, fetching beer, wearing silly hats, and in general having a miserable time as a group, which bonds them together.  Same basic tactic as is used in army basic training.

I have heard of fraternties that at the cerimony where the pledge becomes a full brother they hand him a string tied in a loop on one end and attached to a board on the other.  He puts the loop around his junk, and is then blindfolded.  The pledges are lead around the house, with bricks piled on the board.  Eventually he drops it, but someone has cut the string so his junk is unharmed
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you're willing to do 'X' then you're certainly willing to do 'Y' and 'Z' should the need arise.  It's a way to prove that you really *want* to join, and it proves to the other members that you're willing to do what it takes.  At the end of it, you all have an embarrassing shared experience, you've all been through the same hell, and thus a bond is forged.

That's the idea anyway, though I doubt many of them even know that any more.

Ok. What do fraternities do though? I mean after the sheep fucking and eating the soggy cookie.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Do "professional" fraternities exist? My sister was in a "professional" agriculture-related sorority in college, they focused on community work and good, wholesome stuff instead of partying and silly initiations.  My sister was also elected President of her sorority.  Sigma Alpha at U of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Yes, they have business fraternities on many campuses without the fun stuff.

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#8]
People bond through stressful/difficult situations.  One way to create these situations is to abuse or humiliate people.  The other way is to put them in physically, mentally, and often emotionally challenging situations in which they need to work together to achieve a desired outcome.

One of these methods is difficult and requires professionals to run.  The other is easy and fun for the people in charge.  Guess which one the military uses and guess which one Frats use...
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
One of my friends went through the whole thing and then at the last minute, literally the night of the induction ceremony, he opted out. I asked him why several times over the years and he never really gave me a straight answer.

He told me he had been crucified on a pair of pool cues with duct tape for half a day at one point, and made to swim in the Mississippi river in the middle of January, among other things.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is a good sorority.  I went to school there on east campus.  I bet I knew your sister if she was there from 96-2000.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I love all the speculation and innuendo from those that were not in a House.

Tau Kappa Epsilon
Gamma Zeta chapter

What do fraternities do? I'd like to hear it from you and guys like you that were actually in one, that way I'm not speculating or making stupid assumptions.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, they have business fraternities on many campuses without the fun stuff.  

Oh my sister had a lot of fun as a youth mentor and also did a lot for the community.  There's a lot of fun to be had in a professional Greek organization without drinking and debauchery.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a high school friend that tried to tell me getting through the pledge process (specifically their "hell week") was worse than boot camp.  Although I've never been through the pledge process, I told him to shut the fuck up before I punched him in the throat.

I did both - Hell Week was worse.

Commence throat punching
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I have no idea as to why they do this I guess it's some sort of bonding ritual to see what the new prospect is willing to do or put up with.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Tau Kappa Epsilon
Gamma Zeta chapter

Yup.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a good sorority.  I went to school there on east campus.  I bet I knew your sister if she was there from 96-2000.

IM inbound

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, my "silly fraternity" raised more than $32,000 in my four years for charity. We also partnered with a school in Macon that served the surrounding six counties that educated children with severe mental and physical disabilities. The brothers worked a minimum of four hours a week with students face to face, and four weekends a year doing repairs to the school or building necessary structures for them as well. What did y'all do in college for the greater community or your fellow man?

As far as hazing, no schmuck was allowed to become a brother. We were men who valued each other, and we knew that any brother could be counted on. But screwing a goat? First, I am gonna call shananigans on that. I know some screwed up fraternities, but why the hell would you want your reputation ruined by allowing your pledges to do that? It makes no damn sense. Hazing is used to bring pledge brothers together and it weeds out those not willing to be part of something larger than themselves.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One fraternity had a goat tied up and told the pledges they had to fuck it, another one had them put doughnuts on their dick. What's the point of this?

Then they paddle and fuck each other?

Sounds pretty gay to me.

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
One fraternity had a goat tied up and told the pledges they had to fuck it, another one had them put doughnuts on their dick. What's the point of this?

Then they paddle and fuck each other?

Sounds pretty gay to me.

That sort of stuff never happened in my house.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#21]
ppl who do shit like that to be in a frat are ppl who don't have real friends or lives
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Tau Kappa Epsilon
Gamma Zeta chapter

It was a cold and rainy night and it snowed the next day.

Lambda Sigma.

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll tell you right now I had more fun pledging in college than the remaining 3 years I was an actual brother. My class was very close and we all got along great. Pledging brought us together and helped us bond. The events we did were actually a lot fun but they were definitely not elephants walks, rubbing one off on a piece of toast, etc.

Also, just because fraternities are often viewed as a social function doesn't mean they can't be beneficial after college. Being in my fraternity helped me land my first professional job.

Tau Kappa Epsilon
Delta-Xi Chapter
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#24]
regarding professional fraternties

absolutely...but the true professional fraternities are for people who are going into masters programs or the like.  Had a friend who became a vet, when he finished his 4 year degree and got accepted into vet school he joined one of two professional vetstudent fraternities.  Same with a friend who had finished his 4 year and stayed in school to become a dentist.   Personally, I'd go a little crazy if I went to class with a group of people and then went home and saw the same group of people.  But the flip side of that is they were all on the same schedule so they all would cram for tests together, commiserate together, and if they had an occasional light week (not common in either disipline) they'd all be free to go hit the bars.  All frats of all types seem to keep a lot of old test files, but the resources that accumulate in a frat based on a specific grad school path, that is going to prove VERY useful.  (And yes, professors are very aware of old test files)

there are a lot of fraternities and sororities that cluster around a certain major or group of majors.  Some even have written in their bylaws that only X pledges per year can apply who are outside their group.   The ones you stereotypically hear of about this are the frats where everyone is a physics major or the one where everyone is a comp-sci major.  But really they exist in many other fields as well know the Fraternity Alpha Gamma Rho is all about agriculture, and the letters spell that out.  Orvill Redinbocker of popcorn fame was a member of it, as was Garth Brooks, and Nobel Peace Prize winner Norman Borlaug.  Sometimes they are organized around non-school lines.  I know the sorority Alpha of Clovia (and Beta of Clovia, etc etc) was based on 4-H (hence the clovia aka clover)
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Not all fraternities are the same,  some crazy shit goes on in some while mine was just cleaning, and sober driving all the time, sleep deprivation sometimes, more cleaning, but no gay shit at all. Of course there were mind games the actives used, but nothing really bad happened in my house.  However several frats from my school were kicked off for hazing while I was there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#26]
This kid I used to go to college and worked at the same landscaping job with was constantly on my case to join his frat. Would go on about how pledging was like becoming a Navy SEAL. The few times I ever went to drink with him and his frat buddies, all they talked about was doing weird shit to each other's genitals when they were sleeping. After about a year of his shit I told him to pound sand; I had the volunteer fire department, and wasn't going to be hazed by someone who wouldn't also run in to a burning building with me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Tau Kappa Epsilon
Gamma Zeta chapter

Agreed.  What a bunch of nonsense.

Kappa Sigma
Delta Lambda Chapter
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tau Kappa Epsilon

Gamma Zeta chapter

Kappa Sigma

Delta Lambda Chapter

Ya, this sums it up.

K Sig

Gamma Psi

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Most of the stories you hear are not true.  My fraternity raised a lot of money for charity and did a lot of events for the community.

Pi Kappa Alpha
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Its called young, dumb, and everyone else being a prick while you try and fit in. Did you have everything figured out at 18 or 19? I sure as hell didn't and I was in a frat.. I did some stupid shit to get in. Although, none of that was on the scale of your examples. I wouldn't trade those memories or times for anything.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Its pretty easy to tell who was never in a fraternity.

99% of fraternities these days have a zero tolerance hazing policy and if someone tried pulling some sick shit like what is being described above, they would be immediatley ejected form the house and probably the school as well.

In my house we do a big community service project about twice a month, we just did a "walk for diabetes" this past weekend where the greek system raised around $8,000 during a 4 hour event

other than philanthropy, fraternities play intramural sports, have date parties with sororities, and throw huge parties at the house.

Its awesome for the connections. I got a sweet internship at an oil company through my fraternity connections.

Sigma Chi
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I was in a House in college.  We had absolutely no hazing or bullshit like previous posters described.  When we pledged a potential member he was expected to share in the same duties as initiated Brothers.  These duties included keepind the House clean and presentable, recruiting new members, reaching out to alumni, raising money for charity and pulling sober duty at a minimum of 1 party per semester.  If a pledge was up to the challenge of being a member, he was initiated and got to be an initiated member of the House.  Brothers had full voting rights, could hold office and had a lot more leeway at parties.  To be initiated you had to receive 100% yes votes from the initiated members.  1 no vote and you were out.  

Fraternity - Theta Xi
Chapter - Beta Nu (Wrecking Crew)
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Sigma Nu here...Theta Tau chapter (suspended, )  Our fraternity was founded at VMI back in 1869.

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well, my "silly fraternity" raised more than $32,000 in my four years for charity. We also partnered with a school in Macon that served the surrounding six counties that educated children with severe mental and physical disabilities. The brothers worked a minimum of four hours a week with students face to face, and four weekends a year doing repairs to the school or building necessary structures for them as well. What did y'all do in college for the greater community or your fellow man?

As far as hazing, no schmuck was allowed to become a brother. We were men who valued each other, and we knew that any brother could be counted on. But screwing a goat? First, I am gonna call shananigans on that. I know some screwed up fraternities, but why the hell would you want your reputation ruined by allowing your pledges to do that? It makes no damn sense. Hazing is used to bring pledge brothers together and it weeds out those not willing to be part of something larger than themselves.

You hit the nail on the head...at least from my experience.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#35]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sigma Nu here...Theta Tau chapter (suspended, )  Our fraternity was founded at VMI back in 1869.

http://www.gettysburg.edu/about/offices/college_life/greek/images/sigmanu.gif

What's up, brother?
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

regarding professional fraternties

snip

not all of them are "live in a house with the same people you are in class with".  My sister for example lived in the same dorms all 4 years.

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Still waitin on those holier than thou folks who felt like all the Greeks did was steal their women and drink their booze.

I had more fun as a pledge, sitting around doing mindless tasks (laundry, cleaning dishes by hand, washing dogs, cleaning the house, fixing the house, DDin'g) complaining and trash talking tough brothers. Hazing has its place, it brought me closer to my pledge brothers because we could complain and make fun of the brothers who were asses. I also learned how to really fold laundry and do it fast. Our pledges all had chances to learn new life lessons like actually doing laundry, correctly folding, fixing drywall, painting, pouring cement, etc.  Hell, nothing more honorable than DDing for people, did you GDI's always have drivers?

I don't care what fraternity, I'd trust a greek before I'd trust a GDI

Pi Kappa Phi
Alpha Alpha chapter
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tau Kappa Epsilon
Gamma Zeta chapter

Kappa Sigma
Delta Lambda Chapter

Yep and did the frat thing then went marines, naturally recruit training was harder but not saying that pledging did not have its challenges.  In fact i will say that it allows me to shrug off some of the dumb shit that my coc says i gotta while all my fellow devil dogs bitch and moan

Kappa Alpha Order
Gamma Alpha Chapter

USMC 0331

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#40]
sigchi1151 and 357fan, you pretty much cleared it up for me. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Tau Kappa Epsilon
Gamma Zeta chapter

Kappa Sigma
Delta Lambda Chapter
Ya, this sums it up.

K Sig
Gamma Psi

Indeed.

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#42]
professional fraternities do exist, I'm a member of one.
Theta Tau

Mu Gamma Chapter Alumni

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I was listening to the Opie and Anthony Show and they were talking about fraternities and the things guys do to become "members" or pledges or whatever you call them. One fraternity had a goat tied up and told the pledges they had to fuck it, another one had them put doughnuts on their dick. What's the point of this? Maybe I don't understand because I just went to a community college.

First, you were listening to opie and anthony show... Wives tales dude.  I am sure somewhere in the history of fraternities this has happened, but not common practice...  I hear that people who carry guns are just carrying them because they are crazy serial killers too, but that doesn't mean it's true.  Don't believe everything you hear.

Pike checking in.

Pi Kappa Alpha

Alpha Omega Chapter

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Commence throat punching

No shit?  I find that hard to believe.  I'm not saying you're full of shit, just saying it's hard to believe.  Wouldn't be the first time i was wrong.

Which version of BC did you attend?

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Commence throat punching

No shit?  I find that hard to believe.  I'm not saying you're full of shit, just saying it's hard to believe.  Wouldn't be the first time i was wrong.

Which version of BC did you attend?

Army BCT at Ft Benning, GA.

At least we were sometimes fed, allowed some sleep, and not mercilessly tortured for no real apparent reason.

I would definitely rather do basic again then do Hell Week.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Just like everything else, some frat members are stupid and worthless and others are good people. It's the same as any other organization.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tau Kappa Epsilon
Gamma Zeta chapter

What do fraternities do? I'd like to hear it from you and guys like you that were actually in one, that way I'm not speculating or making stupid assumptions.

We partied and we partied fucking hard... no denying it

Leadership development.  Our International office ran leadership development programs across the country during the year.  Organizational management, accounting, finance, public relations, risk management training

Philanthropy.  We worked with the St. Jude's Children's Hospital, Special Olympics and Alzheimers charities along with food pantries, local community groups, scouting etc.

Academic development.  My chapter had a 3.4 GPA when I was chapter president.

Networking and professional development.  Hundreds of thousands of alumni brothers helping you as you begin a career by offering guidance and mentoring.

Very little along the lines of antics, although there were some.  Some nonsensical and fun, but mainly designed to bring the pledge classes together and provide them with shared memories and experiences.  I went to an aluni event this summer and fraters from the 50s were still joking and laughing about their times as undergrads.

Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Kappa Alpha Order
Gamma Alpha Chapter
Even 20 years ago, there was technically no hazing as described above.  All of the pledges willingly participated in activities and could stop at any time without retribution.  None ever did.  It was too much fun.  I feel closer to my brothers than some of my blood relatives.

Kappa Alpha Order
Epsilon Chi Chapter
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#50]
uhhh, that stuff doesn't happen at many of them.  you just hear about the ones with weirdos in them.  the normal people don't make a good story
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top