Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2010 10:57:40 AM EDT
I have an 97 Expedition 4x4. The initial problem started as it would not shift out of 2H. This wasn't a huge deal as we don't really need the 4x4.

The other day I got in it and got to rolling and the thing was roaring down the road...The expedition is now stuck in 4H. I have done some research and I'm thinking the problem is the transfer case motor. Does this sound correct?

Also, does anyone have a repair manual in .pdf format that they would be willing to email me?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, we had some problems with those wigging out when they weren't used a lot. There is a position sensor assembly on the motor that gets fretting corrosion on the contacts.

The GEM module loses track of the motor and can't put it in the right range. If you're patient, you can take it apart and clean the contacts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:49:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you happen to have any type of instructions to do this?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll see what I can dig up that is emailable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top